The Beale Papers

theroz

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2009
Hi, I think the Beale Papers are just another novel written by John W. Sherman to help save his newspaper company The Lynchburg Virginian from going under. James B. Ward who was Sherman's cousin acted as agent nothing more. It was Sherman's hope that by selling the pamphlet he could pay back the money he owed to Charles W. Button from whom he bought the newspaper company.

K

Kentucky Kache

You might be right. What are the particulars that make you think this?
Sherman had a failing newspaper. Sherman and Ward were cousins. Any more?

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
Thats a new line of thinking will pull out my files and do some research Thanks Theroz and welcome to TN your first post and you got us thinking keep it up
Bobby

OP
OP
T

theroz

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2009
John W. Sherman was a playwright and novelist. Some of his plays are - Patriot and Royalist, Love law and Politics, Wealth and Matrimony. Some of his novels -The Treasure of The Lake, Daniel Boone's Best Shot. The publication dates of some of his novels are-1881,1883,1888,1892. The Beale Papers-1885 would fall right in line with these dates. Sherman was the great grandnephew of Pascal Buford and first cousin of Harriet E. Otey,
who was James B. Wards wife. Harriet was the grandneice of Sarah Mitchell,Robert Morriss' wife. So being related to Ward he had detailed knowledge of the Bufords, Morriss' and the local area.

K

Kentucky Kache

You might be on to something there, but I still think that papers 1 and 3 are coded, just like paper 2. I'd like to see the decoded messages, even if they're telling us what idiots we are to believe in such a tale.

OP
OP
T

theroz

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2009
Hi, there is part of me that wants to believe this is true since I frequently camp at the Peaks of Otter. A friend gave me this book to read (Gold in The Blue Ridge by P.B. Innis) copyright 1973 about 2weeks ago and it has really got my attention. As time permits to let me explore the internet more I will share what i find .

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D This "board" has changed; had to figure out how to "post"... ANYWAY; DAN COLE also did this years ago (Masonic "clues"), & Porter Mountain was mentioned. "Google" DAN COLE & THE BEALE
TREASURE. I am also a FreeMason, and know the Masonic symbols, etc. utilized, and was interested
in Bro. Cole's "take"; I have found "clues", & the B.T. MAY have been found... OR, simply MOVED (which I believe...). :wink: :-X

tjbeale

Mar 7, 2008
theroz said:
Hi, I think the Beale Papers are just another novel written by John W. Sherman to help save his newspaper company The Lynchburg Virginian from going under. James B. Ward who was Sherman's cousin acted as agent nothing more. It was Sherman's hope that by selling the pamphlet he could pay back the money he owed to Charles W. Button from whom he bought the newspaper company.

Yes, this is a popular theory among the "hoax" advocates. The emphasis on finding clues to the author's identity became popular with them because nobody had ever deciphered the codes - even Friedman. So they went about researching the various "players" that could have been involved with the printing - and can make a good, but circumstantial case for Sherman. It is plausible that he did author the "fantasy Stanta Fe story" part of the papers. If so, he was either paid to do it, or did it out of loyalty to a cause...... In any event the codes have a solution, and therefore they (the codes) are not a hoax. TJB.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Sad one,

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That has no proof or documentation, but nice opinion.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Very similar to those that claim Laf solved the Beale ciphers based on a "grand fret" epitaph and nothing else- No treasure recovery, NO contact of descendants from the "heirs" ciphers-only his word and that of his supporters.
Have they ever seen these "solutions"?
When asked, that answer never comes. WHY? Are they just repeating what they read on these TN treads? :dontknow:
Franklin, who has also "solved" the ciphers, at least has provided his cipher solutions including the names from that cipher most "solvers" neglect, and those were also names of real people from that period.
...and without having others continually posting that he did it.
I may at times disagree and question Franklin, but I respect his integrity.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading a book I received today, "New London Today and Yesterday" by Daisy Read. Quite interesting. I found kin of the Ward, Risque, Morriss, Otey, Buford families that died up the Missouri River in 1823. No other research or mention on this in the book. I need to find out want party he was with when killed. Most of these fur traders or far western hunters ever hunted alone. Sure would like to know how he got killed by the Indians?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Been to New London, Va.; in Bedford County, WEST of Lynchburg, Va. James Beverly Risque's Hunter's Hill Plantation/Farm is stated to be "near-by". Read family MAY be "connected" to TJB... dunno.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There was that presented theory that the Thomas Read massacre by Sheriff Otey and the Luck family was one of the inspirations utilized in creating the Beale narrative story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread