Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Beale Papers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2009
    7 times

The Beale Papers

Hi, I think the Beale Papers are just another novel written by John W. Sherman to help save his newspaper company The Lynchburg Virginian from going under. James B. Ward who was Sherman's cousin acted as agent nothing more. It was Sherman's hope that by selling the pamphlet he could pay back the money he owed to Charles W. Button from whom he bought the newspaper company.
    Rebel - KGC, clv and audigger53 like this.

Kentucky Kache

Re: The Beale Papers

You might be right. What are the particulars that make you think this?
    Sherman had a failing newspaper. Sherman and Ward were cousins. Any more?
    Rebel - KGC and audigger53 like this.

Aug 2006
    galveston tx
    8 times

Thats a new line of thinking will pull out my files and do some research Thanks Theroz and welcome to TN your first post and you got us thinking keep it up
    Bobby
    All my friends live in my computer

us
    Jan 2009
    7 times

John W. Sherman was a playwright and novelist. Some of his plays are - Patriot and Royalist, Love law and Politics, Wealth and Matrimony. Some of his novels -The Treasure of The Lake, Daniel Boone's Best Shot. The publication dates of some of his novels are-1881,1883,1888,1892. The Beale Papers-1885 would fall right in line with these dates. Sherman was the great grandnephew of Pascal Buford and first cousin of Harriet E. Otey,
    who was James B. Wards wife. Harriet was the grandneice of Sarah Mitchell,Robert Morriss' wife. So being related to Ward he had detailed knowledge of the Bufords, Morriss' and the local area.

Kentucky Kache

You might be on to something there, but I still think that papers 1 and 3 are coded, just like paper 2. I'd like to see the decoded messages, even if they're telling us what idiots we are to believe in such a tale.

us
    Jan 2009
    7 times

Hi, there is part of me that wants to believe this is true since I frequently camp at the Peaks of Otter. A friend gave me this book to read (Gold in The Blue Ridge by P.B. Innis) copyright 1973 about 2weeks ago and it has really got my attention. As time permits to let me explore the internet more I will share what i find .

Jun 2007
    9379 times

This "board" has changed; had to figure out how to "post"... ANYWAY; DAN COLE also did this years ago (Masonic "clues"), & Porter Mountain was mentioned. "Google" DAN COLE & THE BEALE
    TREASURE. I am also a FreeMason, and know the Masonic symbols, etc. utilized, and was interested
    in Bro. Cole's "take"; I have found "clues", & the B.T. MAY have been found... OR, simply MOVED (which I believe...).
    franklin and audigger53 like this.

us
    Apr 2007
    Costa Mesa CA
    Whites DFX
    3 times
    Banner Finds (1)

interesting discussion

Mar 2008
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by theroz
    Hi, I think the Beale Papers are just another novel written by John W. Sherman to help save his newspaper company The Lynchburg Virginian from going under. James B. Ward who was Sherman's cousin acted as agent nothing more. It was Sherman's hope that by selling the pamphlet he could pay back the money he owed to Charles W. Button from whom he bought the newspaper company.
    Yes, this is a popular theory among the "hoax" advocates. The emphasis on finding clues to the author's identity became popular with them because nobody had ever deciphered the codes - even Friedman. So they went about researching the various "players" that could have been involved with the printing - and can make a good, but circumstantial case for Sherman. It is plausible that he did author the "fantasy Stanta Fe story" part of the papers. If so, he was either paid to do it, or did it out of loyalty to a cause...... In any event the codes have a solution, and therefore they (the codes) are not a hoax. TJB.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    9379 times

STILL, yer (tjbeale, TJB, Roy Dallas) linking it to A. E. Poe?

Jun 2007
    9379 times

Coffee?

Jun 2007
    9379 times

MAYBE, it's time to review the HART PAPERS! Coffee?

us
    Rev

Dec 2014
    LA
    Discovery 2000 Treasure Hunter XJ9-3050 Treasure Hunter 3030
    283 times
    Bible and Decoding Beale Cipher
    Quote Originally Posted by theroz View Post

Sad one,

us
    Jack

Jan 2015
    161 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by theroz View Post
    That has no proof or documentation, but nice opinion.

7th Master

Feb 2015
    at home
    237 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptography View Post
    That has no proof or documentation, but nice opinion.
    Just someone repeating what they read on the internet!
    Foolish to seek fortune when real treasure hiding under nose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links