Consider this: Beale Papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

theroz

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2009
Consider this- John W. Sherman wrote The Beale Papers and used his cousin James B. Ward to be "the agent". Sherman was a known playright and dime novelist who bought the Lynchburg Virginian newspaper in 1885. The novel was written and a ad was placed in his newspaper to be sold for 50 cents to help the victims of the Lynchburg fire of 1883. The sale of the pamphlet was withdrawn due to the protest of friends, neighbors, relatives and public personalities of and around the Goose Creek area who were mention in the pamplet. The pamphlets were destroyed by being placed in the woodstove of the print shop. In 1886 Shermans newspaper was in financial crisis so he printed another ad selling the pamphlet for 10 cents. However by 1887 the newspaper went bankrupt. John W. Sherman was the great grandnephew of Pascal Buford and first cousin of Harriet E. Otey who married James B. Ward. Harriet was the grandneice of Sarah Mitchell-Robert Morriss' wife!
Email: [email protected]

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
??? ??? ??? That very LAST sentence that you "wrote" is VERY confusing...I can't even find Robert & Sarah
Morriss' grave-sites... SO! NOT even sure they REALLY existed. According to MY research, they NEVER even had children. ??? ??? ???

OP
OP
T

theroz

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2009
Hi, the relationship between Harriet Otey(James B Wards wife) and Sarah Mitchell are in the family relationships between John H Otey who married Elisabeth Buford and John B Otey who married Angelina Browne.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D :coffee2: :thumbsup: yes, beale... I DID read it. In MY research in L'burg, Va., Robert Morris (mayor of L'burg) DOES not seem to be the SAME Robert MORRISS (note spelling), of the "Job Print". I am STILL researching Robert MORRIS (note spelling), mayor of L'burg, Va., his family... burial sites ( in the OLD CITY CEMETERY, I think). SOME of the OLDER burial sites are unmarked... closer to the James River. It was a ROB MORRIS that signed the DOI. It IS a bit confusing and I AM mindful of name "changes", such as TJ BEALE, TJ BEALL (last "L" was an "e" done with a fancy script...), etc. Do YOU have a burial site or two, that I can "look into"? ALSO... tell me whatMasonic Lodge, Hazlewood & Ward belonged to & I will review the minutes of "memberships"/meetings "back then"... THANKS! :wink: :icon_study: :icon_sunny: 8)

OP
OP
T

theroz

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2009
Beale, thanks for the info and your view point! N.H.Hazelwood is a person of intrest. A friend has given me a book- Gold in The Blue Ridge by P.B. Innis and this is what has got me intrested along with reading what i can find on the internet and then sorting it all out. Of the three men Hazelwood, Sherman,and Ward- I figured Sherman was the author because of his background as a playright and novelist. I have very little info on Hazelwood. Thanks sam.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :thumbsup: ;D beale, ROB MORRIS, who signed the DOI, was a BRIT (ie. born in England, 1733), who became an American from Pennsylvania, and died in 1806. Hazlewood IS of interest and is buried in Montvale, Va. formerly known as Buford's/Bufordville ("site" of Beale Treasure). The book by Pauline ALSO got ME started... LOL. WELL... theroz, are YOU from this area (L'burg, Bedford County, Roanoke, Va.)? MAYBE, we ALL can "compare" notes... :coffee2: :thumbsup: ;D 8) :-X

OP
OP
T

theroz

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2009
Hi Rebel, I'm from North Carolina(Eden). My wife and I camp at the Peaks of Otter campground . Probably have walked all over that buried treasure and didn't even know it!!. Since I know a little of the area this treasure story peaked my intrest. I have also been to Bedford (nice town) and Johnson's Apple orchard,and have been through Montvale although I didn't know of "the treasure story" at the time. Hope to get back and spend some time sightseeing. My info is only what I have found on various sights and then trying to sort it all out.Thanks Sam.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D :coffee2: :thumbsup: HA! Been to Eden, NC... NICE town. Go to ROCKHOUND NEW FORUMS, Beale Ciphers "thread" for MANY "takes" on this, including beale & I; I guess we agree to disagree, and YES! You should get his CD book... GREAT info from his MANY years of research on TJ Beall. You MAY wanna consider JOHNSON FARM, instead of Johnson Orchards; the FARM is at the Peaks of Otter,
NORTH of the OLD LODGE of MONS (what that area was called back in the OLD days). It was across BRP from current Lodge, and there is an OLD road going to the FARM, that parallels North BRP, a mile or so. wife & I have hiked the trails of SHARP TOP & FLAT TOP; I recommend FLAT TOP, for a hike... BUT! SHARP TOP does give you a WONDERFUL view; even Gen. Robert E. Lee went up to SHARP TOP, with his daughter... after the Civil War, and BEFORE he died. :wink: :icon_sunny: 8) :-X

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D :coffee2: :thumbsup: :D THAT was ROB MORRIS... NOT ROBERT MORRISS, of the "JOB PRINT". Rob Morris of the DOI, DIED in 1806; DO da math... AND! West Virginia did not even EXIST... until the Civil War.
You are STILL confusing ROB MORRIS "with" ROBERT MORRISS, who alledgedly died in 1863 or so... The "JOB PRINT" was "written" up in 1885, with the "genesis" @ 1862... "the second year, of the CONFEDETRATE WAR..." "using" the BEALE/BEALL "expedition" of 1819/22, as a "cover". Tell me where Robert & Sarah MORRISS are buried, etc., let me do R & I (RESEARCH & INVESTIGATION). Tell me EVERYTHING, you have on Robert Morris, mayor of Lynchburg, Va. (@ 1803?). THANKS! :D :wink: :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread