Hate to be the naysayer...

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I know that long range detectors are a dirty word on Treasurenet, but I am beginning to think that the Beale codes should share in that prestigious honor. For years posters say they have pinpointed the location and are about to dig, and then...nothing. I understand that is the way of most treasure as people are typically going off of legends and not historical facts.

I consider myself an optimist and very open minded, but nothing about the supposed Beale codes can placate my skepticism. I think the biggest hole in the Beale codes validity is the fact that the known/real Declaration of Independence is not used to translate the one known "translated" cypher. I just don't buy the fact there was a "special" Declaration of Independence used for this cypher. Logically and logistically it makes no sense. To me, that alone kills the validity of the legend and/or supposed deciphered document. I also need to see evidence of each of the original player's in the legend existance. Show me some documents...without having to buy a special made CD with all the answers, of course. Show me some documentation of the Buford tavern and its owner involved in the legend.

Again, I really hate being the skeptic on this, especially being a native Virginian, but nothing about it is kosher. If the famous 2nd cypher has be decoded using a "special" version of the Declaration of Independence, that should send up red flags. If I remember correctly, I think even with the "special" version, some words had to be changed for the cypher to work. I always am optimistic and love reading a good story about someone who has found treasure, but nothing ever seems to pan out with the Beale code. Those who are just about to dig always seem to run into some type of last second "snag" or others say they've got it cracked but instead of digging it up, offer something almost like a PPV to see their still cryptic decipherment. Prove to me the existance of the characters in the legend, the locations mentioned (i.e. the tavern), and all the necessary items like that before you expect me to believe that a "special" edition Dec. of Ind. was used to decipher the 2nd code and even that still had to be tweaked to make the decipherment work. Historically and scientifically, it just doesn't add up. We are not even talking about a 1000 year old legend either. I mean no disrespect to those who've devoted their time searching for it, but I just am having a really hard time buying it. This forum always seems to have people who know the secret location, but those last second hiccups always seem to put the find on the back burner until the next person comes along who found the solution and is even willing to tell you about it...for a price of course.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D Go to ROCKHOUND'S FORUMS, and look for the BEALE CIPHERS/TREASURE "Thread"; beale & I have done EXTENSIVE research (Lynchburg, Va. for me), and you will find bits & pieces "documented"
for your "reading pleasure". You asked ONLY for HISTORICAL info on the "players", and THAT has been provided, MOSTLY since 2000. Check it out... FREE! :icon_thumleft: :wink: BTW, the CHIMNEY of Buford's Tavern STILL stands; streets of Lynchburg, Va. ARE different... BUT! You can STILL get a "sense" of 1885, and R & I (Research & Investigation) on OLD Lynchburg, Va. is "on-going"; OLD CITY CEMENTERY has some "good" clues. Native Virginian, eh? WHERE? Come on "down, "over", and "visit' for a spell. :wink: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D Try THIS... THE BEALE CIPHERS @ http://treasurehunter.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=beale :wink: :read2:

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I just recently discovered the Beale Cipher mystery and have found it rather interesting. Personally, I don't see any issue with a special Declaration of Independance being used. Perhaps the person who did the encoding was using a copy from a newspaper that had printed it incorrectly. Those kinds of mistakes still happen today. From researching the topic on the internet, I have found that Rebel is a vast fountain of knowledge on the subject. He may have the information you need to "validate" the story. It's too bad I live in PA. Rebel probably has all kinds of interesting stories to tell...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D TY, dt... so does beale; he has been "on the ground", MORE... tho. GOTTA get out of "the box" of the BEALE PAPER(S), and look at the HISTORY of the Lynchburg, Bedford County, Campbell County, Va. "areas"... and points WEST & NORTH. VERY interesting... and BEAUTIFUL in the Spring & Fall; ESPECIALLY along the Blue Ridge Parkway, from Roanoke, Va. exist,
NORTH past Peaks of Otter... NORTH into Amherst County, Va. where a SWAMP is on the MOUN-
TAIN TOP! :o

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: ;D :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Well done, Albert/beale/Franklin; I encouraged Albert years ago to do the CD books, when it became APPARENT to me that he was an ENCYCLOPEDIA with "on the ground experience". NOW! He did.... AND! The QUEST for "THE BEALE" goes on... ;D :read2: When ppl believe that it is all just a hoax... fine with me; THEN, they eliminate themselves from the QUEST. It IS a "mind-puzzler"... BUT! It keeps your brain ACTIVE, AND! Getting "out & about" is GOOD exercise! :D :wink:

K

Kentucky Kache

I figure the misspellings in the DOI was done on purpose, as, according to some, that is one method of encoding a treasure map. But what do I know. :dontknow:

OP
OP
P

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Thanks for the responses. As I said before, I didnt mean any disrespect with my skepticism. I will have to dig around some more when I get the opportunity. I've heard of the legend since I was a kid, so it has always interested me. In regards to the CD's being sold, I was referring to the people who "know" where it is and sell you the CD so you can go dig it up. I've not got any issues with someone selling historical/informational CD's and things of the like. It's no different than books. As far as the Declaration of Independence, I mentioned that, because I have read at various places (I think even here) that the cypher 2 was decoded using a special Declaration of Independence and even then some letters had to be moved around to make it work. I look forward to reading up some more on it. Thanks again for the responses!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D That's OK, "P"; what part of Virginia, are you from? If you heard about the "legend", I can ONLY guess you are from Roanoke Valley area, Bedford County area, Campbell County area, OR... Lynchburg, Va. area. I am ORGINALLY from the Shenandoah Valley, and NEVER heard of the "Beale". :-\ ANYWAY, it wasn't a SPECIAL DOI; the NUMBERS of the Beale Cipher(s) MAY have been somewhat altered by Ward or Hazelwood, to frustrate recovery, according to the Hart Papers, I think. :o :wink:

OP
OP
P

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D That's OK, "P"; what part of Virginia, are you from? If you heard about the "legend", I can ONLY guess you are from Roanoke Valley area, Bedford County area, Campbell County area, OR... Lynchburg, Va. area. I am ORGINALLY from the Shenandoah Valley, and NEVER heard of the "Beale". :-\ ANYWAY, it wasn't a SPECIAL DOI; the NUMBERS of the Beale Cipher(s) MAY have been somewhat altered by Ward or Hazelwood, to frustrate recovery, according to the Hart Papers, I think. :o :wink:

I'm from the Richmond area Rebel. I grew up reading a lot of treasure tales books, so that's how I was exposed to it early on. I couldn't find a major in Treasure Hunting, so I went the next best route and became an archaeologist, haha.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D That is OK; When I FIRST started out at Madison College (NOW ka James Madison University), I was a SOCIOLOGY major with training as an "arkie"... did some excavations of "frontier homes" in the Shenandoah Valley; found LOTS of stuff. Changed major to PSYCHOLOGY, and had a minor in RELIGION; LOVED the old Philosophy & Religion classes. Went on to get a M.Ed. in Counseling... HA! :D How I "ended" up in THIS area, is a LONG story... :wink:

Thief_s Booty

Jan 19, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites
:hello:
Hi everyone! I'm a bit curious about the misspelling you guys are referring to. The only thing that I've known about is that the letter "f" had to be replaced with "s" due to old English. One other thing about the Beale Treasure is that I've not heard anymore on that letter mailed from out west. I remember reading that a newspaper had published a article claiming the letter needed more postage. I would like to know of updates to this stuff since I haven't researched this since my adult teen years.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just started following this story, and there appears to be an obvious flaw which even members of this esteemed forum have missed. Either that, or I have not yet found an explanation.

The problem...Morriss' friend (Ward?) admits that in order to simplify his work, he arranged the 3 coded documents from largest to smallest and numbered them himself. If that is the case, then how did Beale know the location of the treasure could be found in document #1, as stated in the last sentence of #2.

Did Beale know 25 years earlier in which order Morriss' friend would number the documents, and since he himself did not number them, why did he refer back to document #1?

Am I missing something?

Also, why no corresponding corroborative letters from any of the other 29 party members. And if you were one of the 29, would you entrust your share to ANYONE. After getting back into safe territory, why not just split it up?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bobinsd said:
I have just started following this story, and there appears to be an obvious flaw which even members of this esteemed forum have missed. Either that, or I have not yet found an explanation.

The problem...Morriss' friend (Ward?) admits that in order to simplify his work, he arranged the 3 coded documents from largest to smallest and numbered them himself. If that is the case, then how did Beale know the location of the treasure could be found in document #1, as stated in the last sentence of #2.

Did Beale know 25 years earlier in which order Morriss' friend would number the documents, and since he himself did not number them, why did he refer back to document #1?

Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing a thing. The point you bring up has been discussed several times, very strong evidence that the Beale ciphers are either a work of fiction or that the unknown author created a great deal of the story as a means of hiding the real source behind the ciphers/deposits. Just another one of the many mysteries within the Beale Papers.

allenroyboy

Dec 13, 2006
Montana
In the "Doctored Cipher" section I tell about how I just discovered that there are two versions of the "beale" ciphers. the ones in the Ward pamphlet have been doctored and the DoI in the pamphlet was also doctored to get the "correct" solution from #2. The ciphers in the Hart papers are untouched and #2 is easily deciphered using any standard DoI.

What I take away from this is that the authors of Ward deliberately and methodically set out to fool the readers. And I suspect the most of the story in the Ward pamphlet is fiction or perhaps "historical novel". It may be worthwhile to pursue the Hart papers but pretty much just ignore the Ward story.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that long range detectors are a dirty word on Treasurenet, but I am beginning to think that the Beale codes should share in that prestigious honor. For years posters say they have pinpointed the location and are about to dig, and then...nothing. I understand that is the way of most treasure as people are typically going off of legends and not historical facts.

I consider myself an optimist and very open minded, but nothing about the supposed Beale codes can placate my skepticism. I think the biggest hole in the Beale codes validity is the fact that the known/real Declaration of Independence is not used to translate the one known "translated" cypher. I just don't buy the fact there was a "special" Declaration of Independence used for this cypher. Logically and logistically it makes no sense. To me, that alone kills the validity of the legend and/or supposed deciphered document. I also need to see evidence of each of the original player's in the legend existance. Show me some documents...without having to buy a special made CD with all the answers, of course. Show me some documentation of the Buford tavern and its owner involved in the legend.

Again, I really hate being the skeptic on this, especially being a native Virginian, but nothing about it is kosher. If the famous 2nd cypher has be decoded using a "special" version of the Declaration of Independence, that should send up red flags. If I remember correctly, I think even with the "special" version, some words had to be changed for the cypher to work. I always am optimistic and love reading a good story about someone who has found treasure, but nothing ever seems to pan out with the Beale code. Those who are just about to dig always seem to run into some type of last second "snag" or others say they've got it cracked but instead of digging it up, offer something almost like a PPV to see their still cryptic decipherment. Prove to me the existance of the characters in the legend, the locations mentioned (i.e. the tavern), and all the necessary items like that before you expect me to believe that a "special" edition Dec. of Ind. was used to decipher the 2nd code and even that still had to be tweaked to make the decipherment work. Historically and scientifically, it just doesn't add up. We are not even talking about a 1000 year old legend either. I mean no disrespect to those who've devoted their time searching for it, but I just am having a really hard time buying it. This forum always seems to have people who know the secret location, but those last second hiccups always seem to put the find on the back burner until the next person comes along who found the solution and is even willing to tell you about it...for a price of course.

Cool!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be interesting to see who gets the technology to find the Beale Treasure without decoding the ciphers.

I do not think a treasure of the mind can be found. If it is found it is what you already had to start with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions