Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Beale Ciphers....20 Years of Researching & Observation

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2848 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Re: The Beale Ciphers....20 Years of Researching & Observation

Rebel, I guess this is my point about the Beale Pamphlet providing the perfect series of research traps. I say this because it is arranged in such a way that you can focus on just about any event during the period in question and if you work hard enough at it you can eventually find a way to make it a suspected solution to the story. The same is also true of a long list of possible players from this same period. Add to this, C1 is also arranged in such a way that you can apply just about any theory or notion to solving it and if you work at it long enough you can produce a clear text of 50% or more, and suddenly, you are a firm believer simply because of what you're efforts have produced. Because of this one thing is becoming more certain in recent years, ....regardless weather the pamphlet was a simple hoax, dime novel, or a story with some measure of truth, the author was very keen to what he was creating and he was also very keen in the details and time frame he chose to include. Truth or fiction, the Beale Pamphlet was a very educated masterpiece that will lead it's followers down just about any avenue they wish to choose with some measure of believed success. Wish I could write one just like it today!
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

Feb 2008
    226 times

I still maintain that a treasure of those proportions was never obtained from the the location indicated in the Beale pamplet. I don't know if you gents have
    ever set foot in Sate Fe or southern Colorado or Timbuctoe but the yarn is a
    bust. I had someone try to convince me that James Purcell was one of the
    principles even though he was identified only through the coincidence of Pike's
    appearance in Sante Fe in 1806. Pike's expedition nearly perished that winter
    in the crossing of LeVeta Pass before reaching San Luis valley. Purcell's gold
    strike, probably a minor placer discovery, was farther north on the Platte or
    possibly the Arkansas river.
    BTW Joe, the Purcells were written as Pursley, Pursel and several more mis-
    pellings depending on who wrote the name down. They originated (US) in
    Virginia and then into Kentucky around the turn of the century. James was
    somewhat similar to Dan'l Boone in that he was more Indian than white man.
    In fact he was travelling with horse Indians in Colorado before going south
    to Sante Fe to try to set up horse trades with the Spaniards. As for lingo he
    was fluent in several Native American languages as well as period English.
    He may have appeared in native buckskin dress but was identifiable as a non-
    Indian American.
    Bigscoop, if you can locate a copy of "Commerce of the Prairies" Josiah Gregg
    it contains a pullout 1814 map of the territory showing the location of Pike's
    Stockade on Rio del Norte. Also this book tells about 'Pursley' at Sante Fe.
    In the footnotes beneath it says:
    "James Purcell came from Bardstown, Kentucky to Missouri in 1799, left for
    Sante Fe in 1802 and arrived there in 1805, according to Pike, who met him
    there in 1807(?) Pike calls him Pursley, but an item in the Missouri Intelligencer
    of April 10, 1824, announced the recent arrival of a James Purcell, who had been a citizen of Sante Fe for 19 years.>Hiram M Crittenden, "The American
    Fur-Trade of the Far West, II"
    Believers of the Beale Legend have come up with all manner of excuses about
    the discrepancies in the yarn. I've heard several and will entertain them all with
    good cheer. The 'Jean Lafite' angle is my favorite.

#I will be in Sante Fe this month. I plan to check the bookstores for relevant
    material.

lastleg

Jun 2007
    1386 times

ll, that would be GREAT! Never been to Santa Fe; check Reference Section of the MAIN library there, too; THANKS! Live here in Lynchburg/Bedford County, Va. area
    (501 North - Boonesboro, south of Eagle Eyrie Conference Center, near Blue Ridge Parkway), so have checked the "players" and "locations" of the BEALE PAPERS, the HART PAPERS... talked with Peter Viemeister (author), and other authors, "locals", etc. Coffee? 8) (SUNNY out...).

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2848 times

lastleg,
    My personal feeling is that white men from the east began arriving in Santa Fe at least as early as 1805(?), and depending on the state of their business, some of them were even allowed to winter there. I don't believe the Spanish ruled the city with the iron clad fist as most believe, but rather I believe they handled each occassion with individual treatment, and often with politicing and possible trade in mind. This isn't my personal wish, just what I believe was the actual case from the research I've done in the past. I may be all wet here, but it just appears that this was "probably" the actual case. What's your take on this?
    Scoop

Jun 2007
    1386 times

ll... What cha find in Santa Fe? Wife & I now live closer to Lynchburg, VIRGINIA; doing R & I on Beale Treasure/CSA Treasury "connection"... DON'T need the "Code(s)" nor "Key"; just research HISTORY!

Jun 2007
    1386 times

And SO! R & I on the Beale Expedition, Beale Treasure story is STILL on-going ...

Feb 2008
    226 times

Gents:

Long time replying to this one. Made a couple trips to Santa Fe helping on a
    homeless ministry. Alas the 'minister' has relocated over to Phoenix after being
    harpooned by Ms Cupid. Shortly after learning of this sudden change of pace I too
    was similarly overpowered by stardust and no longer enjoy the blissful state of bachelorehood, or widowhood in my case.

I'm sure the TJB legend will continue to arouse speculation for aeons to come but
    I am winded and will seek and solace elsewhere. Thanks to Franklin for
    the geneology tidbits that need further investigation. BigScoop, Reb, thanks for
    the . . . ah . . . tenacity.

lastleg

Jun 2007
    1386 times

YW, ll STARDUST!?? LAWD GAWD A'MIGHTY! (Playing STARDUST by Ringo Starr, formerly of the Beatles).
    ANYWAY... BEALE CIPHERS vs BEALE TREASURE; TWO different "issues". Gonna go MORE years on THIS one... HA! Looking for the "fat lady to sing". Don't need no stinking ciphers! PFFFFTH!

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2848 times

Congrats Lastleg!
    And since you won't be here for the really big show that's heading down the pike.......think......."Lawyers & Escrow & Trust"........

Feb 2008
    226 times

Thanks bigscoop,

I reckon I found the treasure I was seeking.
    Ya'know fellas, having a good stout sidekick to help with the digging is a real Godsend.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    2848 times

Quote Originally Posted by lastleg
    Thanks bigscoop,

I reckon I found the treasure I was seeking.
    Ya'know fellas, having a good stout sidekick to help with the digging is a real Godsend.
    May your new Treasure lead you to a lot more.

Feb 2008
    226 times

bigscoop,

Well we have hunted a ghosttown and gone to a siver mine to look for amythst crystals at 10,500
    feet so far. Also before getting to the San Juans we went by a big ticket lead but were unable to
    dig as the place appeared to be presently occupied.
    The ghost has given up good finds in the past and I was pleasantly surprised to find it open to
    detecting. In fact we had two novices join in and we wound up having to cover their shovel holes
    later. One of them had a White's Goldmaster that looked brand new. As I was talking to him I noticed the eliptical coil was pointing at him not outward.

Jun 2007
    1386 times

BETTER! Sounds like FUN, ll! The EC pointing at that guy PROBABLY indicate GOLD DUST on his shoes... from STAR DUST to GOLD DUST! Coffee?

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    1718 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I recently obtained a book titled, Southern Treasures" and there is a short missive about TJB. Ciphers pique my interests as I love puzzles...
    Has anyone thought of possible books/documents of the era to use for "keys?"
    I'm new to this subject and don't want to sound stupid, but other historical documents seem possible, such as the magna carta, etc.

I guess I've got a lot of reading and research to do to catch up with you fellows.

Best,
    Scott

CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

Jun 2007
    1386 times

See The Key/Keys "thread"... Coffee?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors