The Beale Ciphers....20 Years of Researching & Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beale Ciphers....20 Years of Researching & Observation

The Beale Codes…20 Years of Research & Observation

It seems that nearly every year we have someone claiming that they have indeed cracked the Beale Codes, yet in every case these claims to fame seem to slowly fade away with the passing of time. Why? Why do those who feel so certain of their claim always end up walking away empty handed? Some claim that property owners won’t let them dig, others claim the treasure had already been removed, while others just continue to lay claim of their success until the treasure hunting community eventually tires of hearing their unfounded claims. Truth is, none of them have actually cracked the codes or discovered anything beyond their own wishful thinking, and here’s why…….

I like to call the Beale Codes, “a dangerous fascination” because they are just that, dangerous. I say this because the Beale codes are a treasure mystery that can lure its pursuers into believing just about any avenue they wish to follow. This danger resides in the fact that whenever a code can’t be cracked with a known key, or keys, and a clear test can’t be produced with 100% certainty, it then forces the pursuer to start filling in the blanks with what he believes, or hopes, is the correct clear text. In other words, the pursuer is now lured into the trap of using whatever works. Simply put, the pursuer has now “created a solution” instead of discovering, “the true solution”. Perhaps no other treasure mystery sets this trap so well and as a result the Beale Codes have indeed left a long line of victims in its wake, and I fully suspect there will be more, many more.

I want to make clear that I am not suggesting that the codes or either hoax or real, as there is equal argument and fact from both sides of the issue to support both of these possibilities. But I would like to point out a few details that future pursuers might want to keep in mind as they explore the endless possibilities, perhaps these points of interest will keep you from someday appearing on that long list of Beale cipher victims.

Intelligence; whoever perpetrated the Beale story, weather it be fact or fiction, was intelligent and well educated. This was not the work of simple men without insight. This is important to remember when looking at cipher #1, as I doubt it will detail any location left to unexpected change or uncertainty. Just as the discovery that the once abandoned cave was unexpectedly being used by area farmers, nearly everywhere else would also be subject to this same type of change with the passing of time. “If” the Beale story is indeed true, then given the intelligence of those involved I seriously doubt that they would ignore this factor of change and leave their fortune exposed to such common everyday risk. If indeed the story is true and two deposits were hauled cross country in complete secret then you can rest assured that these two deposits were not placed in an obscure hole in the ground in the middle of a woods or forest. These were intelligent men with intelligent leadership. The length of cipher #1 also supports this as there simply isn’t enough text to accurately detail a long track through a forest using signpost and trails, that again, would also be subject to change with the passing of time. Not a chance. Even the simplest of men would recognize this factor and then attempt to eliminate this huge, certain risk.

In going a step further, one also has to look at the directness of the previous writings, the Beale letters and the clear text for cipher #2. If your solution to cipher #1 is broken up or uses poor grammar then you most likely have another wrong solution, most probably just another solution that has been forced through personal desire and need. This is the dangerous trap that is the Beale Ciphers. As the pursuer continues to hunt for answers he will also continue to find those convenient bits and pieces that can be made to fit here and there, his personal desire and drive completely blinding him to the fact that his solution doesn’t come close to matching the directness or style of the previous writings and clear text.

Without going into any great length or detail, I can tell you that I have been researching and following the Beale story for about twenty years. I’ve been to Bedford many times and I’ve followed all the leads and documents and I’ve studied all the analytical stuff. Through all of this one thing is very clear, as of today nobody can claim that they have solved or disproved this mystery with any real measure of closure. “If” this treasure mystery is a simple hoax or work of fiction then it will doubtless remain as such just as it has always existed. On the other hand, “if” this treasure mystery is indeed real then I strongly suspect the “excavation or vault” either lays, or laid, just as it was described, and in such a place that is not so easily subject to the common factors of an ever changing environment.

According to the story, in the strongbox there were receipts unrelated to the ciphers or the location of the treasure. “If” this story is true and the treasure was/is real, then why would Beale include these unrelated receipts? Could it be that what was perceived as being unrelated was actually very related? After 20 years of researching and observing this treasure mystery I suspect those receipts were very related. What I wouldn’t give to know for certain what they were for.

Good luck in your continued pursuits!
Scoop

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: The Beale Ciphers....20 Years of Researching & Observation

:dontknow: Receipts? PROBABLY from P. Buford's "Tavern" in today's Montvale, Va. When ppl stay at taverns/hotels, I recken they are supposed to get receipts; MY "theory" being explored on Rockhound's forum, is that Paschal Buford WAS Thom. J. Beale. :o And that Robert & Sarah Morriss were "modeled" after Paschal & Frances Buford... :o I look at SUDDEN wealth in Bedford County, post 1820, and Paschal Buford shows it; it helps to be a "local" with access to Jones Memorial Library (Lynchburg), Bedford Library - Research Room (Bedford City), and Bedford City/County Museum. ;D
:icon_thumleft: :wink: 8)

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC said:
:dontknow: Receipts? PROBABLY from P. Buford's "Tavern" in today's Montvale, Va. When ppl stay at taverns/hotels, I recken they are supposed to get receipts; MY "theory" being explored on Rockhound's forum, is that Paschal Buford WAS Thom. J. Beale. :o And that Robert & Sarah Morriss were "modeled" after Paschal & Frances Buford... :o I look at SUDDEN wealth in Bedford County, post 1820, and Paschal Buford shows it; it helps to be a "local" with access to Jones Memorial Library (Lynchburg), Bedford Library - Research Room (Bedford City), and Bedford City/County Museum. ;D
:icon_thumleft: :wink: 8)

Interesting theory, and one I'd heard before a few years back. If memory serves me right, the theory was that Paschal Buford and several locals were the real adventurers, and that Buford's was actually the hotel supposedly run by the fictitious Morriss. There was another theory that suggested pretty much the same thing, only difference being that there were no adventurers and that the story was made up in regards to either exposing or hiding the real source of Paschal Buford's sudden wealth. Both of them are pretty interesting theories to explore.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Go to Rockhound's forum on Beale Ciphers... not gonna repeat it all. In a "nutshell"... Paschal Buford served in the US Artillery during the War of 1812; there is a "pic" of him @ 1865 or so... white hair guy with "dark" skin, black eyebrows; CAJUN-looking ala New Orleans. NOT saying he WAS from New Orleans... just looks it. While in New Orleans... MAY have lived in the FRENCH QUARTER, learning to read, write & speak FRENCH; MAY have even met Jean Laffitte & his brother (pirates/privateers), and MAYBE Andrew Jackson (HERO of New Orleans). The "Beale Treasure" MAY be from the New Orleans "Mint"; up the "OLD MUDDY" on River Boats, and "in-land". :wink: WHAT was from the "US Mint"? "New Republic" (USA) $$$$$$$$$$, plus gold, silver, jewelry from Spanish "loot" via pirates/privateers of New Orleans. Buford was CAPTAIN... so was Thom. J. Beale; Buford, as a young man... must have been SWARTHY, handsome, with jet black hair...
as reported about Thom. J. Beale... in the BEALE PAPERS (aka "JOB PRINT"). Check it out! ;D 8)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D MORE... I & R (Research & Investigation); was the "Beale Expedition" a "smoke-screen"/"cover" for the SIBLEY Expedition? John Sibley, Indian Agent of the territory of Orleans, 1807? THAT area, at THAT time (1817-1820's) was STILL Spanish territory, and if caught in Santa Fe... would be JAILED, etc. :read2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Anyone? ;D :wink: THEN... there is the LONG EXPEDITION! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Expedition :read2:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D MORE... I & R (Research & Investigation); was the "Beale Expedition" a "smoke-screen"/"cover" for the SIBLEY Expedition? John Sibley, Indian Agent of the territory of Orleans, 1807? THAT area, at THAT time (1817-1820's) was STILL Spanish territory, and if caught in Santa Fe... would be JAILED, etc. :read2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Anyone? ;D :wink: THEN... there is the LONG EXPEDITION! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Expedition :read2:

As far as the "if caught would be jailed" issue, I'm not so sure I'd place too much stock in that information? But all are interesting notions. Who knows, maybe something new will come along one of these days? :dontknow:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

bigscoop:

Check out "Great River" by Paul Horgan for authenticity of Amercans being
detained in the early 1800's by the Spanish authorities at Santa Fe. James
Purcell wasn't thrown in jail but was not permitted to leave. Spaniards nabbed
him in 1805 and didn't get away for some fifteen years. He was nearly hanged
for making gunpowder.
"Spanish intelligence travelled often and fast. Warnings were relayed from
presidio to military district headquarters to provincial governor. and orders came
back down the line."
Zebulon Pike was soon to experience the Spaniards hospitality.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lastleg said:
bigscoop:

for making gunpowder.
presidio to military district headquarters to provincial governor. and orders came
back down the line."

No doubt, some Americans were detained & imprisioned. But during the period in question the Spanish also had great concerns in regards to the growing number of inerlopers that were frequently tresspassing on this vast Spanish territory. Given the size of the territory, in reality the Spanish actually had very few resources in place to police the entire region with too much effect. Look at our southern border today, we have untold resources trying to prevent these illegal crossings yet we are pretty much powerless to stop it all. The Spanish were in pretty much the same situation during the period in question. This was of great concern to them. At least, from my own research, this is what I believe to have been the real situation. :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:D HA! Was ONLY "talking about" Santa Fe, "then" SPANISH TERRITORY (1819-1822)... per BEALE PAPERS (aka "JOB PRINT"). MOOT point, don't give a rat's a.. about the REST of the Spanish territory; topic is "The Beale Ciphers...". :wink:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC said:
:D HA! Was ONLY "talking about" Santa Fe, "then" SPANISH TERRITORY (1819-1822)... per BEALE PAPERS (aka "JOB PRINT"). MOOT point, don't give a rat's a.. about the REST of the Spanish territory; topic is "The Beale Ciphers...". :wink:

So you see it as having been a locked out, strictly enforced Spanish community where no foreigners were tolerated at all. Interesting. Good luck in your continued research.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC said:

“The Spaniards in New Mexico were now becoming very suspicious of the increasing numbers of American traders. In 1810, Joseph McLanahan, Reuben Smith, and James Patterson were arrested and ended up spending two years in a Chihuahuan jail after arriving in Santa Fe with trade goods from Missouri. In 1812, the same thing happened to Robert McKnight, James Baird, Benjamin Shreve, Michael McDonough, and Samuel Chambers. In 1814, mountain man Joseph Philibert was jailed in Santa Fe for trespassing on Spanish territory. Two years later, Auguste Pierre Chouteau and Jules DeMun were arrested, losing all their goods and furs in the bargain. But then, in 1821, the Mexican Revolution changed everything - Americans were now welcome in New Mexico!”

What we don’t know much about are those years between 1816 to 1821. What we do know is that the Mexican war of Independence changed everything and that the conditions in Santa Fe were dwindling in regards to Spanish rule. White men from the east were indeed traveling through the region as early as 1810, we also know that by 1817 it is believed that there were only 17 Spanish soldiers left in Santa Fe, part of their duties involving the delivery of mail to the region’s missions and Taos. Some historians now believe that Bucknell didn’t actually open the Santa Fe Trail 1821, but that he was simply following a course outlined to him by others who had traveled it possibly as early as 1815.

Regardless what you believe, the one thing that stands out here in all of this is that whoever penned the story in the Beale Pamphlet, they had to have fairly accurate knowledge of the history of this region between the years 1816 & 1821. Do you know of a history text/source containing any of this information that was published prior to 1885? Without it, how else would the author have known to spin his yarn during this very narrow, highly debatable period, unless he had some measure of access to this knowledge? Where/how did he gain this knowledge? Just another one of those questions the Beale Papers leaves open to debate. :dontknow:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

lastleg said:
bigscoop:

for making gunpowder.
back down the line."

Couple of very minor corrections on the above post. The man Horgan writes about was named James Pursley. He was released in 1824, 19 years after being detained in Santa Fe.

James Pursley was an important American pioneer. "He was the first citizen of the United States to penetrate the land of the upper Rio Grande, where no one might pass either way across the Spanish colonial frontier." Volume I, page 402 of "Great River" by Paul Horgan.

Nice call on some great American history.

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper said:
lastleg said:
bigscoop:

for making gunpowder.
back down the line."

Couple of very minor corrections on the above post. The man Horgan writes about was named James Pursley. He was released in 1824, 19 years after being detained in Santa Fe.

James Pursley was an important American pioneer. "He was the first citizen of the United States to penetrate the land of the upper Rio Grande, where no one might pass either way across the Spanish colonial frontier." Volume I, page 402 of "Great River" by Paul Horgan.

Nice call on some great American history.

Joe Ribaudo

So if this information is accurate then it also stands as proof that American citizens were indeed encroaching on the land as early as 1806. One also has to understand that during this period "American citizen" encompased a wide range of nationalities that eventually displaced & replaced the indigenous cultures that inhabited the land. This "mass immigratiion to America" included German, French, Dutch, Spanish, and the list goes on and on. One also has to take a closer look at the political fronts that were in progress at this time and at how those factors influenced and effected governments, policies, and relations. All of this has to be taken into consideration when we read the tale in the Beale Pamhlet, just as there is no proof that Thomas Jefferson Beale ever existed, there is also no proof that if he did exist, even under assumed name, that he was the stereotyped, pale skinned, polite, proper gentleman from Virginia. Truth is, if he did actually exist, he could have been one of numorous nationalities, and nothing like what we want to picture in our head in regards to defining "American citizen". The only physical discription we have of him is what is provided to us in the Beale Pamphlet and that physical description suggest he was not the typical sterotyped American citizen from Virginia, but that his original nationality was something else, perhaps even Spanish? The principles outlined in Decloration of Independence is the very reason immigrants flocked here, yet in our minds we assume the Spanish would have no difficulty spotting an American citizen just from his appearance. So let me pose the following questions;

1) What, exactly, did an American citizen who cherished the principles in the DIO look like between the years 1800 and 1822?
Was he British, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, etc.?
2)Did these "American citizens" retain their native languages or did they immediately adopt the fluent use of English, or, did they maintain the ability to speak both fluently, or even more?
3)And last, given the highly debated strength and political position of the Spainish during this period, i.e., Mexican Revolution 1810 - 1821, Adams Onis Treaty 1816 - 1821, etc., what was the actual policy and political position at Santa Fe throughout this entire period?

These questions are just a few more reasons why the Beale Pamphlet still remains a mystery today. I've read Paul Horgan's book, but from a completely neutral position I have to question not only the accuracy of some of his sources, but I also have to question how that information is being applied in regards to the story in the Beale Pamphlet. I think we need to know more facts, more conslusive, documented facts. Until then the Beale Pamphlet and it's mystery & traps will continue to thrive.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Ok, GOOD questions; I think MOST "explorers" were "white" AMERICANS, regardless of "descent" (Brit, French, etc)... speaking MAINLY "English" with a few "native" words such as today. Spain was "weak" as Spanish Americans wanted their own "republic" (later to be known as TEXAS); FIRST, it became Mexico... HA! For info of the Spanish territory West of Lousiana... I would look at the Capt. Zebulon Pike Expedition of 1806-1807; then the James Long Expedition of 1819. Pike: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_expedition ;D Long: http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/treasures/republic/long-01.html :wink: :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :read2:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

;D HA! MORE I & R for ya; John Sibley was already mentioned... HOWEVER! http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsi02 :wink: MAY be some info from the Guterrez-Magee Expedition, dunno. :dontknow: I suspect this is ALL connected with the Thomas Jefferson - Aaron Burr "conflict", which lead up to the KGC, CSA, and the "Confederate War" (Civil War); then you get into the SILBY Expedition of REBELS (CSA) into Mexico! :o ::)

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel, I guess this is my point about the Beale Pamphlet providing the perfect series of research traps. I say this because it is arranged in such a way that you can focus on just about any event during the period in question and if you work hard enough at it you can eventually find a way to make it a suspected solution to the story. The same is also true of a long list of possible players from this same period. Add to this, C1 is also arranged in such a way that you can apply just about any theory or notion to solving it and if you work at it long enough you can produce a clear text of 50% or more, and suddenly, you are a firm believer simply because of what you're efforts have produced. Because of this one thing is becoming more certain in recent years, ....regardless weather the pamphlet was a simple hoax, dime novel, or a story with some measure of truth, the author was very keen to what he was creating and he was also very keen in the details and time frame he chose to include. Truth or fiction, the Beale Pamphlet was a very educated masterpiece that will lead it's followers down just about any avenue they wish to choose with some measure of believed success. Wish I could write one just like it today!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

I still maintain that a treasure of those proportions was never obtained from the the location indicated in the Beale pamplet. I don't know if you gents have
ever set foot in Sate Fe or southern Colorado or Timbuctoe but the yarn is a
bust. I had someone try to convince me that James Purcell was one of the
principles even though he was identified only through the coincidence of Pike's
appearance in Sante Fe in 1806. Pike's expedition nearly perished that winter
in the crossing of LeVeta Pass before reaching San Luis valley. Purcell's gold
strike, probably a minor placer discovery, was farther north on the Platte or
possibly the Arkansas river.
BTW Joe, the Purcells were written as Pursley, Pursel and several more mis-
pellings depending on who wrote the name down. They originated (US) in
Virginia and then into Kentucky around the turn of the century. James was
somewhat similar to Dan'l Boone in that he was more Indian than white man.
In fact he was travelling with horse Indians in Colorado before going south
to Sante Fe to try to set up horse trades with the Spaniards. As for lingo he
was fluent in several Native American languages as well as period English.
He may have appeared in native buckskin dress but was identifiable as a non-
Indian American.
Bigscoop, if you can locate a copy of "Commerce of the Prairies" Josiah Gregg
it contains a pullout 1814 map of the territory showing the location of Pike's
Stockade on Rio del Norte. Also this book tells about 'Pursley' at Sante Fe.
In the footnotes beneath it says:
"James Purcell came from Bardstown, Kentucky to Missouri in 1799, left for
Sante Fe in 1802 and arrived there in 1805, according to Pike, who met him
there in 1807(?) Pike calls him Pursley, but an item in the Missouri Intelligencer
of April 10, 1824, announced the recent arrival of a James Purcell, who had been a citizen of Sante Fe for 19 years.>Hiram M Crittenden, "The American
Fur-Trade of the Far West, II"
Believers of the Beale Legend have come up with all manner of excuses about
the discrepancies in the yarn. I've heard several and will entertain them all with
good cheer. The 'Jean Lafite' angle is my favorite.

#I will be in Sante Fe this month. I plan to check the bookstores for relevant
material.

lastleg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D ll, that would be GREAT! Never been to Santa Fe; check Reference Section of the MAIN library there, too; THANKS! Live here in Lynchburg/Bedford County, Va. area
(501 North - Boonesboro, south of Eagle Eyrie Conference Center, near Blue Ridge Parkway), so have checked the "players" and "locations" of the BEALE PAPERS, the HART PAPERS... talked with Peter Viemeister (author), and other authors, "locals", etc. :coffee2: Coffee? ;D 8) (SUNNY out...).

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lastleg,
My personal feeling is that white men from the east began arriving in Santa Fe at least as early as 1805(?), and depending on the state of their business, some of them were even allowed to winter there. I don't believe the Spanish ruled the city with the iron clad fist as most believe, but rather I believe they handled each occassion with individual treatment, and often with politicing and possible trade in mind. This isn't my personal wish, just what I believe was the actual case from the research I've done in the past. I may be all wet here, but it just appears that this was "probably" the actual case. What's your take on this?
Scoop

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

ll... ??? What cha find in Santa Fe? :dontknow: Wife & I now live closer to Lynchburg, VIRGINIA; doing R & I on Beale Treasure/CSA Treasury "connection"... :coffee2: :read2: DON'T need the "Code(s)" nor "Key"; just research HISTORY! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread