Champ dAsile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
And so, as one written account seems to claim, traders showed up in Texas to trade their goods for pieces of gold, in a place where there was no gold, and yet, apparently things got traded for gold. Wait a minute.....how can this be? Either there was gold there that the writer wasn't aware of, which is hard to believe given the account, or the writer was purposely trying to mislead readers. Or, it was simply a matter that the writer and some others didn't have gold, but others did. But obviously, gold had to be there. But it's late, and I am rambling.

Or... at the TIKI BAR, LOL! Gold coins. eh?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently, a survivor account questions the humanity of men who were only interested in trading their badly needed supplies for pieces of gold, which the writer says they didn't have. Yet these traders did trade for pieces of gold, with some of them doing quite well. Seems a bit, contradictory, if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not throw the passengers of the keelboat "Synia"? William Richardson, Treasurer of Boston; Dr. Parmelely, Boston; Major Daniel Halliday, Com. for the internal regulation of Miss. Territory; ditto Stephen Donohoe, Walter Nash; Henry Burt Esq. Trader from NY;
Major Nelson, Pennsylvania; Capt. Thos. J. Beall, Harper's Ferry. They were bound for New Orleans in 1816. Fit? Money and Military. Monroe35

Personally, I think there was/is quite a bit of confusion with the whole Beale/Beall thing. Do you know why this party was said to be heading to New Orleans?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Capt. Thomas J. Beall on the Smyrna was actually TJB's Uncle from Cumberland, MD he was a Capt. in the Revolutionary War.

Are you saying the T. J. Beall on the Smyrna was, well, up in his years by 1816? :laughing7:

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
So where did Beale end up down Olde Muddy? And was he still in the Army? And can the Beall be connected to the French refugees along the Gulf coast? Is that why this is being talked about in the Camp D'Asile blog? And in finding ship info I cant seem to find flat boats....I must be slacking off.

HH Tatty
:occasion14:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting sidebar here, but did you know that both the original vine and olive grant, and the Texas settlement, were being pursued/arranged even before Baron Rigaud and General Charles Lallemand ever arrived in the U.S. Lallemand and Rigaud didn't arrive in the US until late April of 1817, the grant was approved in early March 1817, a grant Lallemand never really took physical part in despite being named president of the formed association, and then his immediate travels to New Orleans and then straight into Texas. He arrived in Texas in Feb. 1818, but the first wave of settlers from New Orleans were already there waiting for him, having arrived a few months before. But, I'm sure he was just a very shrewd business fellow capable of arranging things at the speed of light on the phone and computer as he went along. :wink:

PS: I wonder why they arrived in "Boston" instead of just going straight to New Orleans, or Texas? I wonder if people in Boston left for New Orleans in advance of Lallemand? A lot to be arranged for in New Orleans.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Olde Muddy", "Big Muddy"... MAYBE Thomas Beale, & Thomas Beale, Jr. DID go to New Orleans by "Olde Miss".

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jules Arceneaux, William Whitehurst, etc., etc., etc. It's names like this that make the task so difficult, and yet so interesting.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champ d'Asile. I wonder who these people really were? Where did they come from and what were they really hoping to establish? I also wonder how much advanced planning was involved, and what the cost and continued financial maintenance and financial support of this expedition might have been? And then, after all of this, why did they really just up an quit? Seems odd that so many high ranking and experienced military images would have so easily deserted something so important to, not only them, but to others as well?

Hey, wait a minute! What are some of these fellas doing in Philly in 1832?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Why not throw the passengers of the keelboat "Synia"? William Richardson, Treasurer of Boston; Dr. Parmelely, Boston; Major Daniel Halliday, Com. for the internal regulation of Miss. Territory; ditto Stephen Donohoe, Walter Nash; Henry Burt Esq. Trader from NY;
Major Nelson, Pennsylvania; Capt. Thos. J. Beall, Harper's Ferry. They were bound for New Orleans in 1816. Fit? Money and Military. Monroe35
Larry has this info, correct; Keel Boat SYNIA... in his book,

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Personally, I think there was/is quite a bit of confusion with the whole Beale/Beall thing. Do you know why this party was said to be heading to New Orleans?
Larry died a few years, ago (RIP); his book indicated a SECRET MISSION from the Armory in Harper's Ferry. From General A. Jackson...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Captain "Tom" was TJ's son with Sally, Beverly; nick-named "Tom", and code-named Pernia for Lewis & Clark Expedition, in which he went on. More as a SERVANT, than slave, Beverly/"Tom"/Pernia's light complexion turned SWARTHY as if exposed to the Sun, during the many expeditions/missions. It IS a GREAT "read" and so far all info is accurate. He was working on a "follow-up" to this, when he died... OH WELL!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Larry died a few years, ago (RIP); his book indicated a SECRET MISSION from the Armory in Harper's Ferry. From General A. Jackson...
Several boxes of RIFLES were ordered from Jackson; They went up the Shenandoah River to the Potomac & various other Rivers (like the Ohio) to "BIG Muddy"; went down to N.O. & delivered the RIFLES; will reads more, tomorrow.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BTW, Larry has it that "Tom" wrote 2 of the letters to RM, at RM's HOME in Lynchburg, Va. (Lynchburg, Va. January 4th, 1822 & Lynchburg, Va. January 5th, 1822). AND! RM is addressed as Mr. MORRIS, in his 1/5/1822 letter. Hmmm...

Last edited:

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Several boxes of RIFLES were ordered from Jackson; They went up the Shenandoah River to the Potomac & various other Rivers (like the Ohio) to "BIG Muddy"; went down to N.O. & delivered the RIFLES; will reads more, tomorrow.

Good Job Reb !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread