Some Thoughts on Captain Thomas Beale/Beall

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kentucky Kache

Rebel - KGC said:
:argue: LOL! :wink: The BEALE PAPERS sezs MORRISS was to open the Iron Box in 1832; Franklin is correct. NOTHING to "debate" about the date... it is ALREADY "stated". :wink: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :icon_santa:

But then, if we're not gonna think inside that box... :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the note was due, when the note was due, or after the note was due,......i.e.,31 or 32,.....it could still very, very easily have something to do with these same missing funds. We don't know what the exact circumstances may have been that might have required Morriss to maintain the box "in case" some type of "a yet unknown plan" failed and his services were needed. :dontknow: So the "exactness" of 31, 32 is largely a mute point as the general time frame still fits in very, very niicely with all these other events that were taking place. Either way, KentuckyCache is correct in questioning why the Laffites were in Richmond in 1830 for a full year. Is it possible they were there taking care of, important business affairs? Obviously the answer is "yes"....it is/was very possible, if not likely. But we just do't know for sure........yet!

PS: I'm still of the mind that regardless who controlled the whole Beale thing, it was indeed a very educated affair that incorporated an extremely well though out plan. Given this, I'm of the mind that Morriss was just a contingency plan that was never required, for one reason or the other. As example, if the Laffites had anything to do with the Beale thing then their decision in 1826 to end the cause could possibly explain why Morriss was left out in the cold, because the entire affair came to its end way before the end of the planned ten-year term. :dontknow:....but it could sure explain why he never got the key or heard from Beale again.

K

Kentucky Kache

Franklin said:
Morriss never got the "KEY" because the man from St. Louis that was delivering the letter containing the "KEY" was killed in Roanoke at the Blackhorse Tavern.

Who dat?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin said:
Morriss never got the "KEY" because the man from St. Louis that was delivering the letter containing the "KEY" was killed in Roanoke at the Blackhorse Tavern.

Could be? :dontknow: I'm like KentuckyCache........"who was he? What/where's the possible connection?"

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin said:
His name was George Radar Braugh. No connection to the Laffite Family whatsoever.

Cool! And I take it there's something conclusive to confirm that he did in fact have this paper/key on him, or in his possession? Please keep sharing. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel - KGC said:
:laughing9: LOL! Franklin, yer UP! Name is George Radar BRUGH... :wink: :D :laughing9:

Tell me he wasn't kidding and just pulling our leg.....:laughing7:......I was actually getting somewhat excited! :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_santa: He's NOT kidding... just got the last NAME wrong is all; HE can explain BETTER than I. :coffee2: HOT Coco? :icon_santa:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel - KGC said:
:icon_santa: He's NOT kidding... just got the last NAME wrong is all; HE can explain BETTER than I. :coffee2: HOT Coco? :icon_santa:

"Radar" seems an odd middle name given the period.....:laughing7: Did they have anything called a radar back then? :dontknow: Well, just another little trivia mystery to explore when I have nothing better to do..... :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well told! :hello2: :thumbsup: But just so I'll know I can officially quit looking........is all of this documented in some way? Old newspapers, existing diaries, etc. Is the envelope a real deal somewhere? Is all of this info sealed away in a private collection somewhere?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
Do we think it's more likely that Pierre Lafitte simple used the name of a New Orleans acquaintance (Thomas Beale), or that he actually WAS Thomas Beale, using an alias to evade capture? Wasn't both Thomas Beale and Pierre Lafitte arrested/imprisoned in New Orleans? Were they the same person?

This is somewhat interesting, but I can't remember exactly why I thought it was interesting at the time? In my notes, (much of it I've not looked at in a long, long time - years!).....I have a note about Pierre Laffite having a 25'000 acre claim in Texas, and for some reason I also have "Thomas Beale - Kentucky" doodled next to it. :dontknow: However, if I remember right, it had something to do with the claim that a certain Oil Company had spent millions searching for Laffite descendants because they had a very wealthy escrow account that was suppose to have been paid out to these descendants. Not sure why, or how, or even if I suspected a Kentucky connection at that time as I never jotted down my exact reasoning behind the notation. :dontknow: Maybe I'll run across more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread