OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel - KGC said:
:wink: Look at THIS! Jean Lafitte, Privateer, and the Beale Treasure... (GOOGLE IT!)... :coffee2: :read2:

:laughing7: And I know you know why I'm laughing. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin said:
The Thomas Beale of Kentucky is not the man you are looking for. He lived on the south fork of the Cumberland River near Chief Doublehead of John Swift Treasure legend. This Thomas Beale had a middle initial of "s" I have it's meaning in my research. My great aunt Charlotte Atwell bought property from him in Virginia before he moved to Kentucky. He moved to Kentucky because of his being one of the officers on the HMS Grosvenor that sank off the coast of Africa. The Grosvenor had an enormous treasure on it that has never been found or recovered. The officers and crew could have scuddled the ship after removing the treasure on shore. Some of the passengers of the Grosvenor were found in the area years later. The others that made a long trek to get to safety had to result to cannibalism to survive their long journey. Thomas Beale, 3rd mate was one of the survivors. He went to England, later to Virginia here in Westmoreland County, Charlotte bought the property from him, Beale was named as being from Boone County, State of Kentucky in 1818. I have found about 18 Thomas Beale's of that time period most were too old or died in this area so they could not have been our TJB. The only one that I could find that came from a military family and had kin in Bedford County was the one that moved to Washington County, Pennsylvania that I have on the CD. He was born July 4th, 1776 that is most likely the reason for naming him Thomas Jefferson Beale.

Well, like I said, not sure why I apparently thought to jot down the name along side that other info. Long time ago? May find more later, maybe not. I've moved twice since then, one long distance move and I've still got stuff packed away that I've forgtton about, or maybe even lost. :dontknow:

However, the Beale on the Wanted Poster from New Orleans, do you know for sure, who "exactly" he was? :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin said:
The way the article is written it seems that Thomas Beale had something to do with the article above instead of the wanted poster below or either he worked as a writer for the Register?

I'm going to check a couple things....(if I can find the stuff?)....maybe a court recorder? From what I think I know about this, it was a wanted poster, much like those used today, an individual document. But, maybe not........? :dontknow: This might take a while.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Kentucky Kache said:
Do we think it's more likely that Pierre Lafitte simple used the name of a New Orleans acquaintance (Thomas Beale), or that he actually WAS Thomas Beale, using an alias to evade capture? Wasn't both Thomas Beale and Pierre Lafitte arrested/imprisoned in New Orleans? Were they the same person?

This is somewhat interesting, but I can't remember exactly why I thought it was interesting at the time? In my notes, (much of it I've not looked at in a long, long time - years!).....I have a note about Pierre Laffite having a 25'000 acre claim in Texas, and for some reason I also have "Thomas Beale - Kentucky" doodled next to it. :dontknow: However, if I remember right, it had something to do with the claim that a certain Oil Company had spent millions searching for Laffite descendants because they had a very wealthy escrow account that was suppose to have been paid out to these descendants. Not sure why, or how, or even if I suspected a Kentucky connection at that time as I never jotted down my exact reasoning behind the notation. :dontknow: Maybe I'll run across more later.

Correction, it was actually said to be 11,400 acres in Natchitoches, in about 1832. Now remember that this information was penned sometime in the mid to late 1840's, and the Beale Pamphlet didn't arrive on the scene until 1885. The importance of this is that the huge oil rush in Texas didn't happen until the late 1880's and beyond. However, if that claim had been passed down......and later leased......then the rumor of an escrow account just might be, and could be, real. :dontknow:

kenmor

Jan 28, 2006
Hey guys,could the skeletons in victoria peak treasure cave be the beale party? Just a thought.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Franklin said:
The way the article is written it seems that Thomas Beale had something to do with the article above instead of the wanted poster below or either he worked as a writer for the Register?

I'm going to check a couple things....(if I can find the stuff?)....maybe a court recorder? From what I think I know about this, it was a wanted poster, much like those used today, an individual document. But, maybe not........? :dontknow: This might take a while.

*****I wanted to be sure before I put this out here, but as I understand it, the name Thomas Beale at the top of the document is there for one of two reasons. A) under curtain circumstances the named offender can be required to register with the courts, so in this case Thomas Beale would have been the person the accused was suppose to report to. B) or, "Registrar": Court official designated to accept or reject applications for informal probate and informal appointment of a personal representative.******

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
As Franklin pointed out, yhe distance they were to have traveledon their hunt was about 300 miles (give or take a few). If you go north northwest of Santa Fe you will find another town that shares a name to a Virginia location and Prez Tommy Jefferson. Monticello Utah, coincidence????

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D NAW... at THAT time, MANY places were named for Jefferson... SOME for Monticello; he WAS a GREAT man! :wink:

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed.....Jefferson was a great man. So now we refer to him as on of our "founding fathers". As my own opinion I feel that he played just as big a role as Washington in our movement to freedom. I'm not taking anything away from Washington, he was a great man also. I think Jefferson's phylosophies were a greater controbution to the colonies. But as always there will be more to learn.

HH Jay

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D COMMON SENSE by Thomas Paine ALSO influenced quite a few intellectuals... blame it on the ENLIGHTENMENT from across the "little pond". :wink: :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :laughing9:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Back in 2011... WOW! Been thinking... (PONDERING, really... LOTS of COFFEE!); could Pierre have been TJB...? Pierre traveled around MORE than Jean!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! Any more info on Capt. Thomas Beale/Beall, "Scoop"...? Bet HE knew Pierre...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NEWS FLASH! Wife & I found BRUGH'S TAVERN at Explore Park off the Blue Ridge Parkway; years ago, it was NICE... open to public for "review", like Williamsburg, Va.!
MAY now be reopened for lunch/dinner... dunno.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread