It was in the 2nd year of the CONFEDERATE WAR...

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Franklin, I thought we were all searching for the truth of the Beale story, not unsupported tales or lore.
There has been plenty of that already on these threads.

We have all disclaimed a certain poster who has claimed to be the only one who has solved the Beale codes while posting clippings from diaries, articles, and/or newspapers that have nothing to do with Thomas Beale or the story in the job pamphlet for the sole purpose of misleading the unwary reader into believing his claims.
Yes there are hundreds of tales, and many claims of solved ciphers, yet after 130 years since the publication by Ward, NO evidence has been found to prove the story true, and with all the cipher "solutions" NO vault or treasure has been found.

Yes, Franklin, it does tell me something.

As I have stated many times on these threads, either the Beale perilous adventure is true as written in the job pamphlet, or it is a complete work of fiction with actual incidents "borrowed" to create believability.

my teacher said this about your words. the stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. you need to be nicer to mr franklin who has said he is the only one to solve the beale code.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
my teacher said this about your words. the stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. you need to be nicer to mr franklin who has said he is the only one to solve the beale code.
Eh...? He Did...? WHO is your "Teacher"...? :dontknow:

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is "only" one on TN who has made that claim, and it is not Franklin.

I do claim I deciphered the codes that is if the codes are legit. I have all four codes broken even the two pieces of paper. The only reason I can not prove my decipherment is the correct one is because the treasure has already been recovered. A three or four foot deep depression about twelve feet in diameter at the exact spot the decipherment lead me to seems like it is correct to me. And I also had all 31 associates names and addresses and to whom Thomas Beale wanted his share of the treasure to go to. Also Robert Morriss share. So yes I believe my decipherment is the correct one. I had it copyrighted in a pamphlet and I had it sold on E-bay for years. So I would believe that makes it confirmed that I believe I deciphered the codes correctly.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin, I was referring to our august TN member who claims he is "the "ONLY" one to solve the Beale codes".
You and I both know there have been many claims of solutions over the years.

What were the signs at this three to four foot depression that was twelve feet in diameter that led you to believe that this was Beale's treasure vault?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ECS, but I believe posters have the right to speak their minds as long as it is in a positive way. You do need to slow a little on criticism. If you disagree with a poster place an argument that will show your side of the argument as being different from what they posted, but I see no need for ridicule. I like reading your post and I appreciate your research but you do need to lighten up a little and place your own research that proves a poster may not have the right information. Until we prove this story either true or false, everyone has a right to post for or against as long as it is not belittling another poster. And you are right on my post, I do favor the treasure at times and at other times I believe it is made up, but we all do that until we find information or research to tell us which way is the right way.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it criticism to question an unsupported statement and to request additional information for the discussion?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably that person who posts misinformation in the form of clippings to support his claims of being the only one who has solved the Beale codes would consider it bullying when questioned about this misinformation.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There is nothing about the Beale Treasure that can be proven by documents or history. So why the big uproar over another tale. We have hundreds of tales that should tell you something...
Can a connection be made from Ebenezer Nelms, the purloined letter in the family Bible at Roanoke's Blackhorse Tavern to the "unknown" author who contacted James Beverly Ward with a finished manuscript to copyright and publish as the BEALE PAPERS?
...or being in Roanoke, is this related to the Hart brothers adventure in search of the Beale vault as detailed in the HART PAPERS which caught the attention of Pauline Innis?
...and what is Claudine Fulton Ellis's connection to the Beale story besides the "discovery" of the purloined letter?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... That tavern may have been owned by Thomas Buford. The old Indian trail crossed near here and ran across the spurs of the Blue Ridge into Botetourt County to Brugh's Mill in Nelson County. The Brugh's Mill is a likely place for TJB and party to have stayed at... George Radar Brugh was Proprietor of the Planter's Hotel in St. Louis, MO and it was with him that Thomas Beale left the letter to be delivered to Robert Morriss in Lynchburg, Va with a ten year waiting period. The envelope had on it "To Be Delivered June, 1832" signed in small handwriting along the bottom edge Thomas J. Beale. George Radar Brugh and his traveling companion were killed at the Blackhorse Tavern on Tinker Creek in Roanoke, Virginia by Ebenezer Nelms, proprietor and a member of the TJB original party in 1817. He was wounded by James Purcell while mining the gold in the New Mexico Territory and returned home to stay in 1819. He later died falling down the stairs of the Blackhorse Tavern. Many believed he was pushed by the ghost of George Radar Brugh.
James Purcell from Bardsville, Kentucky, traveled to the Spanish controlled territory of New Mexico in 1802 on a trapping/hunting expedition with two companions, names unknown. During this time, Purcell discovered gold nuggets in the Platte River and was attacked by native Americans, and fled to the safety of Santa Fe, where the Spanish government arrested him and his two men, and prevented them from leaving the New Mexico territory where they remained until 1824.
Zebulon Pike, detained by the Spanish in 1807, met Purcell, who was under house arrest was working as a carpenter when he told Pike about the Platte River nuggets. Pike wrote about this encounter, and later in his memoirs, Kit Carson recounted the event.
Take notice that Purcell was under Spanish government house arrest until 1824 and could not have wounded Ebenezer Nelms or mined gold with the Thomas J Beale party of the job pamphlet in 1817.
What is the source of this story?
The same can be stated about George Radar Brugh as proprietor of the St Louis Planters Hotel and personal courier of Beale's letter to Morriss. The letters that appear in the BEALE PAPERS pamphlet were sent by US post, but this letter had to be delivered in person to Morriss... and why would he go to Roanoke first instead of going directly to Lynchburg?
It has been established that the PLANTERS HOUSE was built in 1817 in St Louis, by owner/proprietor Evarist Maury, then remodeled in 1837, with Maury still as owner/proprietor.
What and where was Planters Hotel was George Radar Brugh proprietor that his alleged portrait hung?
Then we have Brugh's Mill where Beale and his men may have stayed while constructing the treasure vault.
This all appears to be additional lore heaped upon the tale in the Beale Papers dime novel pamphlet.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Can a connection be made from Ebenezer Nelms, the purloined letter in the family Bible at Roanoke's Blackhorse Tavern to the "unknown" author who contacted James Beverly Ward with a finished manuscript to copyright and publish as the BEALE PAPERS?
...or being in Roanoke, is this related to the Hart brothers adventure in search of the Beale vault as detailed in the HART PAPERS which caught the attention of Pauline Innis?
...and what is Claudine Fulton Ellis's connection to the Beale story besides the "discovery" of the purloined letter?
Being in Roanoke, Va. is where J. W. Sherman is buried... MAYBE the "Beale Treasure" is buried with him, since he wrote the "BEALE PAPERS" based on interviews, papers, etc.!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James Purcell from Bardsville, Kentucky, traveled to the Spanish controlled territory of New Mexico in 1802 on a trapping/hunting expedition with two companions, names unknown. During this time, Purcell discovered gold nuggets in the Platte River and was attacked by native Americans, and fled to the safety of Santa Fe, where the Spanish government arrested him and his two men, and prevented them from leaving the New Mexico territory where they remained until 1824.
Zebulon Pike, detained by the Spanish in 1807, met Purcell, who was under house arrest was working as a carpenter when he told Pike about the Platte River nuggets. Pike wrote about this encounter, and later in his memoirs, Kit Carson recounted the event.
Take notice that Purcell was under Spanish government house arrest until 1824 and could not have wounded Ebenezer Nelms or mined gold with the Thomas J Beale party of the job pamphlet in 1817.
What is the source of this story?
The same can be stated about George Radar Brugh as proprietor of the St Louis Planters Hotel and personal courier of Beale's letter to Morriss. The letters that appear in the BEALE PAPERS pamphlet were sent by US post, but this letter had to be delivered in person to Morriss... and why would he go to Roanoke first instead of going directly to Lynchburg?
It has been established that the PLANTERS HOUSE was built in 1817 in St Louis, by owner/proprietor Evarist Maury, then remodeled in 1837, with Maury still as owner/proprietor.
What and where was Planters Hotel was George Radar Brugh proprietor that his alleged portrait hung?
Then we have Brugh's Mill where Beale and his men may have stayed while constructing the treasure vault.
This all appears to be additional lore heaped upon the tale in the Beale Papers dime novel pamphlet.

ECS, The post mail was never delivered back then on a basis like it is today. Back in those days a letter of confidence would be delivered by a friend or relative. Something of importance would not be trusted for the postal service to deliver. As far as any proof where today can you find anything of our countries history 200 years ago that can be trusted or verified. Give everyone a break and let us talk out these situations. Hell it is easy to sit at home and keep repeating no documented proof, no connections to the Job Print Pamphlet, a parlor story. I know a lot of posters get annoyed by continuous post telling us what we already know=======we are only trying to find some documented proof. If we can not talk to each other back and forth about new ideas without hearing the annoying same post year after year it gets boring and tiresome and I for one would like to just talk without all this annoying same reports over and over and over and over and over /////////// well I hope you know what I am talking about. How about contributing some reliable information if you have any. I don't believe we need a cheerleader on the sidelines repeating over and over it could not have happened. There is the possibility that it could have happened and that is what we are posting about.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin, I for one would like to see absolute proof of anything in the Beale Papers narrative story as actually ever happening.
All this endless could have, maybe, this author made copies of, was shown an iron box is just additional adult fairytale speculation that signifies nothing more than hopeful wishing that the story and treasure are indeed real despite the conspicuous total lack of outside documentation from non vested sources.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, I for one would like to see absolute proof of anything in the Beale Papers narrative story as actually ever happening.
All this endless could have, maybe, this author made copies of, was shown an iron box is just additional adult fairytale speculation that signifies nothing more than hopeful wishing that the story and treasure are indeed real despite the conspicuous total lack of outside documentation from non vested sources.

No not really you can prove some of these things yourself instead of asking others to prove them. You can contact Pauline Innis' brother, he was the rector of some sort over a church in Scotland. Telephone him and ask him about Pauline Innis' his sister's estate and ask him what happened to the iron box. Then you go to Salem, Va and talk to Claudine Fulton Ellis and ask her the questions you are asking us to prove. Help us out get out and do some of this research yourself instead of asking others for proof.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
We know that you know and worked with Claudine Fulton Ellis, so there is no purpose of me contacting her for confirmation, now is there?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We know that you know and worked with Claudine Fulton Ellis, so there is no purpose of me contacting her for confirmation, now is there?

Well you said you wanted documented proof. How better to get proof than before someone passes away then you can not talk to them. Here is a front cover of her book. I don't have a copy. I sold it and all my other books. But anyway you may find a copy in your library. THE KEY COVER.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread