Beale codes

kenmor

Jan 28, 2006
I am going to give a opinion,and hope I don't ruffle any feathers,If I was going to design a code like supposely Beale done,I would make it like a comanation lock,by first putting like he did contents,then I would make another code using some form of the contents code to give names,then you would have to use contents code with name code in order to break location code.,in Beale case I would have made code 2,then you would have to use that code to break code 3,then use code 2 and 3 to break code 1. What does everyone else think? Just my opinion.....KenMor

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) MHO... TOO much focus on BC # 1, 2, & 3; look at history of Lynchburg, Bedford, Botetourt County, VIRGINIA "areas". (GRIN).

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to give a opinion,and hope I don't ruffle any feathers,If I was going to design a code like supposely Beale done,I would make it like a comanation lock,by first putting like he did contents,then I would make another code using some form of the contents code to give names,then you would have to use contents code with name code in order to break location code.,in Beale case I would have made code 2,then you would have to use that code to break code 3,then use code 2 and 3 to break code 1. What does everyone else think? Just my opinion.....KenMor

Don't mind Reb, he's just worried to death that the truth behind the local lore may not be all that local. :laughing9:

What you suggest is reasonable. C1 would certainly have been the most important cipher and the one needing the most protection.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(CHEESY GRIN) SMIRKING at B.S.; have YOU solved it then? NOT worried... ALL you guys have are the BC # 1, 2, & 3. LOL! GA (Go AHEAD)... waste YOUR TIME; probably ALREADY found & utilized. (WINK).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(CHEESY GRIN) SMIRKING at B.S.; have YOU solved it then? NOT worried... ALL you guys have are the BC # 1, 2, & 3. LOL! GA (Go AHEAD)... waste YOUR TIME; probably ALREADY found & utilized. (WINK).
L'burg, Va., Lexington, Va., VMI!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AND! Maybe... W & L which is adjacent to VMI; has Lee's Chapel... Lee died in 1870; BPP/"JOB PRINT" released in 1885.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
William "Buck" Wright lived and owned land near where Robert Morriss died. Interesting. Buck believed to be Frank James. Frank James in Lynchburg, Va during the Winter of 1883. A copyright filed by JBW in 1884. Rebel KGC have you researched into Buck Wright's Family. He died at the home of his daughter. I forgot the name of that little town. Was it Irving? I have been there though it is not too far from Goode, Virginia. General Munford and all of the Sons of Confederate Veterans of the Robert E. Lee Chapter attended his funeral in Charlottesville, Va. Maybe just maybe William "Buck" Wright was the author?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If one can not prove that William "Buck" Wright was in Virginia during the "2nd year of the Confederate War" and visited the home of the widow Anzoletta Saunders and spoke with Robert Morris, and then in 1884 presented James Beverly Ward a finished manuscript, this is just more grasping at straws speculation that signifies nothing.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good I am glad you like it. I like drinking from straws.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
William "Buck" Wright lived and owned land near where Robert Morriss died. Interesting. Buck believed to be Frank James. Frank James in Lynchburg, Va during the Winter of 1883. A copyright filed by JBW in 1884. Rebel KGC have you researched into Buck Wright's Family. He died at the home of his daughter. I forgot the name of that little town. Was it Irving? I have been there though it is not too far from Goode, Virginia. General Munford and all of the Sons of Confederate Veterans of the Robert E. Lee Chapter attended his funeral in Charlottesville, Va. Maybe just maybe William "Buck" Wright was the author?
Lowesville, Va. Very nice little town on the V & T RR Tracks. BOTH Frank James & William Wright had the "nickname" of "BUCK". Yes Frank & family WERE living in L'burg, Va. in 1882, when JJ was killed out west... NOT! Yes, funeral for "BucK" was in Ch'ville; found him buried in a family plot south of Roanoke, Va.; gotta find my info on him.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Lowesville, Va. Very nice little town on the V & T RR Tracks. BOTH Frank James & William Wright had the "nickname" of "BUCK". Yes Frank & family WERE living in L'burg, Va. in 1882, when JJ was killed out west... NOT! Yes, funeral for "BucK" was in Ch'ville; found him buried in a family plot south of Roanoke, Va.; gotta find my info on him.
We discussed the Wright "connection" on another TH'ing "site"; even "legrand" was there. Do we REALLY wanna bring it here...?

Last edited:

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We know the author was not Mr. Ward!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And why not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread