Does anyone know where Mr Hazelwood of the Hart papers got the Beale codes?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So NOW... "4 miles of Buford's Station/Depot"...? Heh...

Clayton I. Hart already purchased that property also. It was four miles north of Buford's Depot and was known as Joanna Hill. The same farmhouse where Indian Joe and his family were staying when Mel Fisher was running and digging all over the Montvale Area commonly known as Buford's or Buford's Depot.

There was only one thing these two properties had in common and that is the reason Clayton I. Hart purchased both of them. But Clayton I. Hart made an error and purchased the wrong property. Yes he did and I know why. So if there is a treasure I know where it is buried and I am not worried in the lease whether anyone can find it or not because the landowner shoots on sight at trespassers. I have been to a stack of stones that have bent knee trees that are really really old. They come up about four feet and extend outwards about sixty or seventy feet and they are about two foot in diameter. There is not one but about five or six of them. I wanted to go back there and take a photograph but I had already been lucky two times and did not really want to get shot dead. Mystical place and the old road passed through that area but now it is a quarter to one half mile from the main road.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHH was buried on top of the hill of his family home, EAST of Bufordville; near Buford Depot. RR tracks was a boundary of his land in the north, as well as the Great Western Road (Rt. 460 WEST - Montvale, Va.)... he had 59 acres in 1883.

You should see that Deed. The payments were to be made in GOLD.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Newton Hazelwood's mother was an Otey. His copy came from the iron box that Robert Morriss had been entrusted with. The Otey family obtained the iron box from James Beverly Ward's wife--------she was an Otey. That is your connections of the iron box from Robert Morriss to Newton Hazelwood.
...but Newton H Hazelwood never mentioned "Beale" when he asked Clayton Hart to make copies of the numbers covered sheets of paper.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but Newton H Hazelwood never mentioned "Beale" when he asked Clayton Hart to make copies of the numbers covered sheets of paper.

Why would Newton Hazelwood mention "Beale?" Hazelwood only told Clayton Hart that the ciphers led to a treasure buried near his home under the Peaks of Otter. Hazelwood did not know about the Job Print Pamphlet. Clayton found out about James Beverly Ward years after Hazelwood had passed away.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NHH had 7 living children & 13 grand-children; PV alluded to 3 sons... Newton Jr., William, & Frank. Newton, Jr. & family eventually moved to Danville, Va.; he worked for Coca-Cola. Frank & family lived near the old "home-place" (which burned down in 1938) in Montvale, Va. Not sure about William... NOTHING found about NHH's daughters.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Looking at the "time-line", 1885-1897... NHH may have known about the BPP/"JP", according to PV. It was in 1897, that Clayton Hart was asked to "do copies"... about a TREASURE! 1885 + BPP/"JP" published & released to "mass market" in L'burg; did NHH hear/read about it. Hmmm... PONDERING!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would Newton Hazelwood mention "Beale?" Hazelwood only told Clayton Hart that the ciphers led to a treasure buried near his home under the Peaks of Otter. Hazelwood did not know about the Job Print Pamphlet. Clayton found out about James Beverly Ward years after Hazelwood had passed away.
Making copies of these ciphers led the Hart brothers on a search for the Beale treasure, getting that medium, and George producing the Hart Papers about their Beale treasure search.
So if Newton Hazelwood did not know about the job print pamphlet, how did he acquire those numbers covered papers for Clayton Hart to copy?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making copies of these ciphers led the Hart brothers on a search for the Beale treasure, getting that medium, and George producing the Hart Papers about their Beale treasure search.
So if Newton Hazelwood did not know about the job print pamphlet, how did he acquire those numbers covered papers for Clayton Hart to copy?

There is only one source and that would have been the author handed it down to Newton Hazelwood and then again maybe Hazelwood was the author all along? It is hard to say? There could have been a few purchased copies running around also and Hazelwood could have just copied the cipher codes not paying any attention to the whole story about TJB or James B. Ward? Really hard to say but we do know he had the sheets of ciphers and he had them before 1897.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think that the Hart Bros were looking for a TREASURE, alluded to by NHH; NOT certain that they thought it was "Beale Treasure"... there WAS something about "The BOSS MAN"...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There is only one source and that would have been the author handed it down to Newton Hazelwood and then again maybe Hazelwood was the author all along? It is hard to say? There could have been a few purchased copies running around also and Hazelwood could have just copied the cipher codes not paying any attention to the whole story about TJB or James B. Ward? Really hard to say but we do know he had the sheets of ciphers and he had them before 1897.
Is there an outside source that confirms Hazelwood asking Clayton Hart to copy these ciphers?
...or is it similar to the "unknown author" delivering the finished Beale manuscript to Ward, making Ward a "character" in the Beale narrative text.
Are Hazelwood and the Harts only "characters" in the Hart Papers story narrative?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, PV does... THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, Chapter 19, "Trusted Friend" (Newton Hyde Hazlewood), pg. 150-163. MANY other pages has info about NHH & the Hart Bros... READ IT! AND! P & W Innis has LOTS of info on the Hart Bros, as Treasure Hunters searching in Bedford County (GOLD cover PB is best, as it has EXTRA info of "interest")... HISTORICAL ppl; NOT "characters"... READ IT!

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That article came about because Sherman's wife worked at the Roanoke Newspaper at that time.

There was a man that worked with the Hart Brothers and Mr. Hazelwood. He stayed at the Stratford Hotel in Roanoke with Mr. Hazelwood. He later moved in with Clayton Hart for a number of years while the Hart Brothers were searching for the Beale Treasure. I have tried finding these people to see if they had Clayton Hart's manuscript of the treasure search but no luck. I believe the man did not die until the 1960's. His name was James Kiser and his wife Alma.
Is this referring to the 1893 Roanoke Times article?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found the Kent Family, Williamson, Hill, Will, Obenchain, Ferrell, Read, Duolly, Haymaker, Overstreet, Claytor, Wytte, Cook and other families are all tied to the Harts, Lucks, Otey, Ward, Morris and other families of Goose Creek Valley. The Luck, Innis, Wright, Williamson, Nelms and other families knew about the Beale Treasure before Pauline Innis' story in Argosy Magazine in the early 1960's. I have a copy of that magazine.
...and Pauline Innis got most of her information from George Hart and THE HART PAPERS.
Years later, Claudine Fulton Eliis took that same information and created an after Beale story.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and Pauline Innis got most of her information from George Hart and THE HART PAPERS.
Years later, Claudine Fulton Eliis took that same information and created an after Beale story.

It was like a fictional history, like ECS does!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that you have it all figured out do like a tree and leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread