Needing my fix

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It's like being stuck in a ditch and spinning the wheels. Without documentation of some kind the wheels will keep spinning but the vehicle will stay in the ditch forever.

LOL! Owner's Manual wouldn't be of much help... eh...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
And SO! R & I goes ON! Hunter's Hill was stated to be James Beverly Risque's Plantation/Farm in Campbell County, Va. It had Dreaming Creek and during the CONFEDERATE WAR, could be seen from Sandusky (Home of Hutter family) (TRUE!). JB Ward & the Hutter Bros. (cousins) often played at Grand-pa's Risque place; James Beverly Ward was indicated to be buried there, in the family cemetery... HOWEVER! Dreaming Creek Road in Lynchburg, Va. indicate MUCH business & residential developments, THUS! Family Cemetery MUST have been re-located; I am looking at another site (Cemetery), SOON!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MORE R & I... James Beverly Risque died in 1843; James Beverly Ward's mother (JBR's daughter) got Hunter's Hill... JB Ward & family were living in Forest, Va. (Bedford County, Va.). JBR Family Cemetery must have been near Dreaming Creek; not there, now. JB Ward & family was stated to have been buried in JBR FC. Hmmm...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Giles Ward died in 1850. The property went to James Beverly Ward and later to his son Charles Bell Ward. Charles sold the property off after WWII to send family members to college. I found deeds at the court house but I have nightmares about that clerks office. Everything is not in order as at other clerk's offices, you could spend a week in there and still not find what you are looking for. To research you have to go through every deed of every year. When JBW obtained ownership of the property ===== he sold one half of the property to a family that could not pay and later the same year sold the property to someone else. I have an idea of the area where the cemetery should be located but no cemetery is mentioned by researchers of Campbell County being in that area. It may be grown up and will take boots on the ground to find it.

YEP!

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Franklin,
The clerks office doesn't have an index to the records? I have been in some bad clerk's offices but never one without some type of an index system.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
There may be a title plant that have the records indexed in some manner. You mainly find them, title plants, located at local real estate abstractors offices.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Continuing on with R & I on Mayor Robert MORRIS of Lynchburg, Va. (1813)... MAY have written a book SELECT ARCHITECTURE in 1750... TJ had a copy in his library. TJ used it to design courthouses in Nelson & Amherst Counties... AND! King David's Palace in Clifford, Va. (Amherst County) utilized SA by RM... INTERESTING! LOTS of info on Mayor Robert MORRIS in this "Thread"... ENJOY!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I went to Campbell County today but I was unable to locate the family cemetery. A lot of development in the area. The cemetery may have been bulldozed or removed or under a score of ponds in the area. I will keep looking.

At least you tried...

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
(WINK) Reviewing map of OLD Lynchburg, VIRGINIA (Sesquicentennial year - 1936): Bell Tavern is located 3rd Street & 3rd Alley; NO Washington House. Franklin Hotel of 1817 is located at 2nd Street & 4th Alley.

from the Gazetteer of Virginia Joseph Martin 1835 the hotel was there

Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 11.04.44 PM.png

https://books.google.com/books?id=F... River Navigation&pg=PA138#v=onepage&q&f=true

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread