Needing my fix

Garry

Apr 19, 2009

Great link "cw0909" (1836) Lynchburg!

I do need some help in orienting myself on a modern day map! It looks to me like 1st thru 10th Streets in 1836 ran parallel to the river and now they have been rotated 90 degrees and run perpendicular to the James River??

What is the street name that corresponds to Water Street (1836) on today's maps? (Site of the bridge in 1836)

Is Main Street still the "1836" 2nd Street? Is 3rd Street (1836) now known as Church Street? Etc.

Can the 10-12 alleys mentioned (1836) that run perpendicular to Main be roughly identified by today's street names? Can I go 5 or 6 streets on both sides of Water Street and roughly define the town limits in 1836?

I know I have rambled but any help would be appreciated.

Garry

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Garry,not sure this will help, if you have or find a Lynchburg street map
you can compare here

Compare maps

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
(WINK) Reviewing map of OLD Lynchburg, VIRGINIA (Sesquicentennial year - 1936): Bell Tavern is located 3rd Street & 3rd Alley; NO Washington House. Franklin Hotel of 1817 is located at 2nd Street & 4th Alley.

Reb,

I think you may have another piece of my puzzle.:)

Do you have a date for when the map of OLD Lynchburg, Virginia was created?

It sounds like the steets running perpendicular to the James River were referred to as Alleys and they were numbered. Do you have the numbering system for the Alleys and which streets they represent on a modern map?

Identifying todays Water Street would be a great foothold!

Thanks, Garry

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Garry,i havent looked at this in detail,skimmed it
as im out of internet time for today
some detailed info on street changes thru L history

Fifth_Street_Historic_District
Commercial and Transportation Corridor

Lynch’s Ferry (this ferry would be replaced by a toll bridge in 1812), proceed
up Water Street (now Ninth Street), turn right on Second Street (now Main),
and then left onto Seventh Alley (now Fifth Street).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Street_Historic_District

san maps,not sure what year,the other albums looks interesting
https://www.flickr.com/photos/retroweb/sets/72157669491655516
albums
https://www.flickr.com/photos/retroweb/albums/with/72157628025207789

forgot a link, not all streets are marked 1864
zoom in
https://www.loc.gov/resource/gvhs01.vhs00378/

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well... we DO have to remember "Canal Street" which was under 9th Street Bridge; it was part of the old Canal system, abandoned BEFORE the CONFEDERATE WAR (1858); HOWEVER, the CANAL was still open, as it conveyed Gen. Stonewall Jackson's body UP-RIVER (James River) to Lexington, Va., near VMI. The Canal was later paved over with flat stones from the JR, making it look "old-timey". The canal was NOT in the "Beale Expedition" era. BTW, Stonewall's "body"
was conveyed via RR Train to Lynchburg Depot (Depot Grill, today), then transferred to a packet boat (The Marshall), on the canal for the trip up-river, to Lexington, Va. The REBS had a solemn/somber occasion at that time, with flags, march formations, etc. AND! The HULL of The Marshall can STILL be seen at River-side Park in Lynchburg, TODAY!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NOT sure... BUT! Water Street, then, MAY be known as JEFFERSON Street, now. Water Street COULD have "connected" to the CANAL of pre-CONFEDERATE WAR days.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANOTHER "old road" in L'burg in the days of the "Beale Expedition" was HORSE FORD CROSSING (now known as Horseford Road); to get to the Amherst County, Va. "side"... starting at the river front, going towards the Island in the middle of the JR, and on to the other side. It went UNDER the current RR bridge on Percival Island & there is a "watch/viewing stand" to see the Island (which one can "explore" when the JR is "low"). HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Thanks Guys,

I think all my qestions have been answered. I was lazy as there is a plethora of information out there online.

Everyoneone provided many excellent resources that I was unaware of!

I even found and downloaded "Lynchburg and its People" (1900)

Lots of reading and it ought to shut me up for awhile!:notworthy:

Garry

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANOTHER "old road" in L'burg in the days of the "Beale Expedition" was HORSE FORD CROSSING (now known as Horseford Road); to get to the Amherst County, Va. "side"... starting at the river front, going towards the Island in the middle of the JR, and on to the other side. It went UNDER the current RR bridge on Percival Island & there is a "watch/viewing stand" to see the Island (which one can "explore" when the JR is "low"). HH! Good Luck!
From the Island in the middle of the James River, John Lynch (son of the "founder" of L'burg), created a FERRY to cross the DEEPER waters to the other side (Amherst County).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks Guys,

I think all my qestions have been answered. I was lazy as there is a plethora of information out there online.

Everyoneone provided many excellent resources that I was unaware of!

I even found and downloaded "Lynchburg and its People" (1900)

Lots of reading and it ought to shut me up for awhile!:notworthy:

Garry
BETTER book is THE HISTORY OF LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA: 1786-1946 by Philip Lightfoot Scruggs.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
The account below is an excerpt from the book, “Sketches and reflections of Lynchburg by Margaret Cabell written in the winter of 1857.

Thirty-eight years since, the large dwelling opposite the residence of Dr. Robert Early was owned by Robert Morriss Esq. At that time, Mr. Morriss was a man of great wealth; his home was the abode of the most genuine hospitality, and the refuge of many whom poverty and death had made desolate. A sudden reverse depriving him of his fortune, himself and his excellent wife there established a house for receiving boarders.

I know the location of the Robert Morriss home in 1819 is well worn ground but I wanted to add my take on its possible location.

Margaret indicates Robert (Morriss) was a man of great wealth in 1819 (1857-38 years) and he was living in the large dwelling opposite the residence of Dr. Robert Early.

It is well documented that Robert did suffer financial setbacks during the “Panic of 1819” so Margaret is correct on that account. If you do a search in Margaret’s book on “1819”, you will find other individuals in the area who suffered a similar fate.

BTW, Robert’s setbacks were not simply associated with the Lynchburg area or even to Virginia. It was a nationwide calamity. Google “Panic of 1819” if you are looking for a more complete understanding of the events that fueled the economic disaster.

Anyway, Margaret describes and locates the Robert and Sarah Morris home in 1819 as being a large dwelling located opposite the residence of the home of Dr. Robert Early in 1857.

We do find Dr. Early in the 1860 Lynchburg census. He is 47 years old, his occupation is that of a dentist, His personal estate is listed as $50,000 and real estate is $6,500. He is married and has 5 children.

Dr. Early is still in Lynchburg, showing up in the 1880 census as 67 years old. He is married and has 1 daughter still at home. He is still a practicing dentist. The census indicates he is living on Main Street.

In the 1875 Lynchburg City Directory we find “Early, Robert, Dentist, whose home is at the Corner of 5th Street and Main Street”

I can’t be absolutely sure that Robert Early was living at the same location in 1875 that he was when Margaret wrote her account but I believe it is likely. As I look at a map, there are 4 corners at Main and 5th Street so I also don’t know on which corner Early lived. If Robert Morriss’ home was exactly opposite that of Dr. Early, it would appear to me that Robert also lived on a corner of Main and 5th Street in 1819.

Is this in agreement with conclusions reached earlier on the forum regarding the location of the Morriss’s home in the 1819 time period? Can someone share other sources that point to the location of the Morriss' home?

Thanks, Garry

O

Old Silver

The account below is an excerpt from the book, “Sketches and reflections of Lynchburg by Margaret Cabell written in the winter of 1857.

Thirty-eight years since, the large dwelling opposite the residence of Dr. Robert Early was owned by Robert Morriss Esq. At that time, Mr. Morriss was a man of great wealth; his home was the abode of the most genuine hospitality, and the refuge of many whom poverty and death had made desolate. A sudden reverse depriving him of his fortune, himself and his excellent wife there established a house for receiving boarders.

I know the location of the Robert Morriss home in 1819 is well worn ground but I wanted to add my take on its possible location.

Margaret indicates Robert (Morriss) was a man of great wealth in 1819 (1857-38 years) and he was living in the large dwelling opposite the residence of Dr. Robert Early.

It is well documented that Robert did suffer financial setbacks during the “Panic of 1819” so Margaret is correct on that account. If you do a search in Margaret’s book on “1819”, you will find other individuals in the area who suffered a similar fate.

BTW, Robert’s setbacks were not simply associated with the Lynchburg area or even to Virginia. It was a nationwide calamity. Google “Panic of 1819” if you are looking for a more complete understanding of the events that fueled the economic disaster.

Anyway, Margaret describes and locates the Robert and Sarah Morris home in 1819 as being a large dwelling located opposite the residence of the home of Dr. Robert Early in 1857.

We do find Dr. Early in the 1860 Lynchburg census. He is 47 years old, his occupation is that of a dentist, His personal estate is listed as $50,000 and real estate is $6,500. He is married and has 5 children.

Dr. Early is still in Lynchburg, showing up in the 1880 census as 67 years old. He is married and has 1 daughter still at home. He is still a practicing dentist. The census indicates he is living on Main Street.

In the 1875 Lynchburg City Directory we find “Early, Robert, Dentist, whose home is at the Corner of 5th Street and Main Street”

I can’t be absolutely sure that Robert Early was living at the same location in 1875 that he was when Margaret wrote her account but I believe it is likely. As I look at a map, there are 4 corners at Main and 5th Street so I also don’t know on which corner Early lived. If Robert Morriss’ home was exactly opposite that of Dr. Early, it would appear to me that Robert also lived on a corner of Main and 5th Street in 1819.

Is this in agreement with conclusions reached earlier on the forum regarding the location of the Morriss’s home in the 1819 time period? Can someone share other sources that point to the location of the Morriss' home?

Thanks, Garry

The Beale Papers say this home (Morriss' private residence) was at "the head of Main Street," so this does match. Also, if you take a look at the household of Morriss in the 1820 census, you'll see the boarders spoken of in Cabell's book.
1820.jpg

You'll notice, in addition to 9 slaves, there were 9 free white persons. Excluding Robert and Sarah, that would leave 7 people as boarders, since Robert and Sarah had no children. The ages of the boarders are, 1 female 26-44; 2 males 16-25; 3 females 10-15; and 1 female under 10. Maybe a widow with 2 sons and 4 daughters?

I have done a lot of research, and I think I have identified the unknown author. Unfortunately, I can't talk about it on here.

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

Here's a better copy of the 1820 census for Robert Morriss. The one above came out a little blurry.

attachment.php

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have stated all along that it was at 5th & Main in L'burg (roughly in the area of TEXAS INN, TODAY on 5th Street). It IS the HEAD of Main Street; and Blackwater Creek was the "town limits", with RM's Home as Washington House/Inn above, on the cliffs. There is an EMPTY old white building, NEXT to Texas Inn, today... it looks OLD!

O

Old Silver

I have stated all along that it was at 5th & Main in L'burg (roughly in the area of TEXAS INN, TODAY on 5th Street). It IS the HEAD of Main Street; and Blackwater Creek was the "town limits", with RM's Home as Washington House/Inn above, on the cliffs. There is an EMPTY old white building, NEXT to Texas Inn, today... it looks OLD!

I have an actual document that says it's at main near 5th.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
And I also have a document that gives the residence as Main, between 4th and 5th.

Thanks Guys, at least I'm in the Ball Park.

Old Silver,

What type of document do you have that gives the residence as Main, between 4th and 5th? Deed or something else?

I did find an old Lynchburg Plat map and 4th street had not been added but I have no definite date for the map. Looking at a modern map, I'm not sure 4th street ever intersected Main? 5th Street would have been 7th Alley and the NE side, at Main, was only a half block on the old map.

BTW what type of document gives the location as Main near 5th?

Just nosey!:laughing7:

I can post an image of the old plat map if there is anyone interested?

Garry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread