Needing my fix

F

Franklin

Enough wishful thinking by claims of finding the treasure. OK let us get to real facts on the Beale Treasure. I have had a search through the 1850 Campbell County Census Records. Robert Morris was 76 years old that would have made him born about 1774---------however the story in the Job Print Pamphlet says he was born in 1778 in Maryland. Here again this also is WRONG as the Census records say he was born in Virginia as did Sarah his wife. In this same Census Record of 1850, Sarah Morris was 64 years old, born say in 1786. Sarah would have been 17 years old when her and Robert were reported married in Loudoun County, Virginia in 1803. Back in those days you had to get a marriage certificate from the Governor of Virginia and you had to pay a high price for it.

I also checked the Census Records for Maryland in 1800. A Robert Morriss was living in Charles County but he spelled his last name with two letter "S" instead of the one "S" like the Morris' of Campbell County, Virginia. This Robert Morriss resided at Port Tobacco Parish, Maryland when the Census was made on August 4, 1800.

I wish posters would take this thread started by Kentucky Kache to post only facts instead of wishful thinking.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Enough wishful thinking by claims of finding the treasure. OK let us get to real facts on the Beale Treasure. I have had a search through the 1850 Campbell County Census Records. Robert Morris was 76 years old that would have made him born about 1774---------however the story in the Job Print Pamphlet says he was born in 1778 in Maryland. Here again this also is WRONG as the Census records say he was born in Virginia as did Sarah his wife. In this same Census Record of 1850, Sarah Morris was 64 years old, born say in 1786. Sarah would have been 17 years old when her and Robert were reported married in Loudoun County, Virginia in 1803. Back in those days you had to get a marriage certificate from the Governor of Virginia and you had to pay a high price for it.

I also checked the Census Records for Maryland in 1800. A Robert Morriss was living in Charles County but he spelled his last name with two letter "S" instead of the one "S" like the Morris' of Campbell County, Virginia. This Robert Morriss resided at Port Tobacco Parish, Maryland when the Census was made on August 4, 1800.

I wish posters would take this thread started by Kentucky Kache to post only facts instead of wishful thinking.

That's only a discrepancy of 4 years. I've done a lot of genealogy work, and I can tell you, that's not uncommon for old records.
Thanks for helping get the conversations started again.

F

Franklin

Rebel, Lay the Historical Records on us. I need a refresh course anyway.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(GRIN) OK, from R & I... 1813 - Robert MORRIS was mayor of Lynchburg, Va.; 1813 - Robert MORRIS was on committee to build new Market House near James River for TOBACCO; 1819 - Robert MORRIS was Treasurer of Lynchburg Toll Bridge Company; 1824 - Robert MORRIS was manager of Washington HOUSE (hotel)... built in 1823; 1826 - owner of Franklin Hotel... built & FIRST owned in 1817 by Samuel J. Harrison; I think Robert MORRIS was also a founder of some "bank" & on the board in those "early days". MAY be MORE to come, later. (WINK) Of IMPORTANT note; 1819 was a time of MONEY CRISIS/ECONOMIC DEPRESSION in Lynchburg, Va. Robert MORRIS was one of MANY ppl, who lost $$$$$$$$$$$$! (Tobacco, slaves, ho'ing, etc. (CHEESY GRIN)

F

Franklin

Thanks Rebel. I have a Deed of Trust signed by four wealthy citizens of Lynchburg giving Robert Morris and his wife Sarah a ten year lease on the Washington House. The lease starts in 1818 and ends in 1828. Robert Morris had to pay over $2,000 a year for the lease. Somewhere around 1826 he either paid his way out of the lease or either he was proprietor of the Washington Hotel and the Norvell House or Franklin Hotel. I need to look up this Deed of Trust for more accurate information. The Deed was found in the County Seat of Campbell County at Rustburg. There is no reference in the Deed Books to this particular Deed of Trust I had to look through every Deed Book to find it. I even so much as accused the staff there of letting someone steal the document as it took me two trips and two whole days to find the deed. But anyway Robert Morris was proprietor of the Washington Hotel when Thomas J. Beale stayed there during the Winter of 1819 and 1820...

I forgot to mention that Seth Ward was the previous owner of the Washington House when it was called the Bell Tavern and later the Robinson and Brown House.

Incidentally Angelina Brown married John Buford Otey and their daughter married James Beverly Ward the Agent for the author of the Job Print Pamphlet. The Brown Family moved to St. Louis, Missouri. That is where Angelina and her husband went in 1846 when their daughter Harriet married James Beverly Ward at Jefferson Barracks where James Beverly Ward worked as a clerk under Ferdinand C. Hutter. CSA Treasury Clerk Ferdinand C. Hutter signed the first paycheck for General Robert E. Lee.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) Reviewing map of OLD Lynchburg, VIRGINIA (Sesquicentennial year - 1936): Bell Tavern is located 3rd Street & 3rd Alley; NO Washington House. Franklin Hotel of 1817 is located at 2nd Street & 4th Alley.

Last edited:
F

Franklin

I may be wrong but wasn't the Washington Hotel at 8th and Church Streets?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(SMILE) JB Ward & Ferdinand Hutter... Jefferson Barracks near St. Loo, MO... REMEMBER that; IMPORTANT for BEALE PAPERS... (WINK)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) Yes, beale... it was at 8th & Church; reckon by 1823, streets were as they are now. UNBELIEVABLE! Gotta SEE that location! Will "blow yer mind"!

F

Franklin

Up until a few years ago the Masonic Lodge was located there or either near there. Today, I believe WSLS Channel-10 has a substation or news department there on the site.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(GRIN) If yer thinking of Marshall lodge, the lodge hall was located on 9th Street & Church St.; used for court functions, social functions, etc; WSLS never was there to my knowledge. Arlington House (APARTMENTS) is located on COURT St., one block ABOVE Church St. DUNNO

Last edited:
F

Franklin

I am sorry Rebel I edited my post but for some reason it never happened. I meant WDBJ channel-7 instead of Channel-10

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
LOL! WDBJ wasn't there either... I think a parking garage is; News Virginian Building is next to it; apartments, now.

F

Franklin

It says David Bice then Bice WDBJ on Google Earth and yes it looks like a parking garage. When I get time I will look back through my papers and find out exactly where it was located. It seems to me like the building was moved to 9th Street and Church Street and used for the Masonic Building. Can't exactly remember but it was something like that?

F

Franklin

According to Lynchburg and It's People published in 1900, the Washington Inn was at Church Street and 7Th Street. And also this book reports names of all the Inns in Lynchburg, Virginia and the Washington Inn is listed there in 1820.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread