A serious and specific look at the misspellings in Cipher II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic Premise: It seems this is no treasure to be revealed by what I think is a second part to Cipher II -- only North/South Troop movements as observed by a "Unit 42" during the US Civil war.

Background:
A man named George Love printed out the problems with the long-ago "completely solved" Cipher 2, but the way he did it (with letter-by-letter highlights on the hideous counting mistakes, which is kept on the web) made me think twice. For reference go to:
The Beale Ciphers by George Love )

I wondered if the counting errors might be intentional, put there as place markers for a secondary code. Thinking that, I tried a basic pass with anagramming the first and last letter of each sentence fragment up to where a "mistake" was -- or mark of punctuation line end -- and got the following to chew on (PS: stuff in the parenthesis is mine) My main goal was looking for flow and consistency from one line of the 24 + 1 "sub messages" to the next:

What I got:

1. Data to hidden office by.
  2. Miss B Farm Nine.
  3. S Victor N.
  4. if we best T.
  5. Get note by TJ. Find the front page. Has egg news.
  6. TTTT CFed. (TTTT=4T or '40'--just count the T's)
  7. NNNN V E (Same here 4N 5 E)
  8. Decode mess twenty and and SC hands off op. (Decode message 22 and SC hands off operator.)
  9. Yfe hid. Go dead rest day. ('Yfe' is telegraph operators' term for 'wife'.)
  10. J stood in.
  11. S line.
  12. C end at O set. ('O'-set = sunset)
  13. V and TT.
  14. DD hs. (1000 hours)
  15. Is I Ys step. (Is I Wise step)
  16. PS C HR WV inn ("PS see our West Virginia inn"sound this one out, and it makes sense)
  17. Rs. ("ours")
  18. VT rt yields.
  19. IO hs. ("10 hours")
  20. PS R HR noted.
  21. E
  22. L of Y at (L of interception at:)
  23. VA et. (Virginia and)
  24. fellow ghost by NH TTTT II do end.
    Also, the letters in the brackets seemed to have something to say themselves as a title for the group:
    1. Wee XXXX uunit EE (Wee 42 unit Easter Egg)

Closing remarks:

So, as far as I can figure out, Cipher 2 (which I originally thought was communication about treasure . . . (SIGH! ;) hides communications about North/South troop movements, send by the Officers of New Hampshire Unit 42. (Which still doesn't say if the whole thing is another level of post civil-war fraud . . . and still doesn't say what's in Cipher 1 or 3! But it does explain why 1 and 3 are so different in style from 2 and the rest of the document.)

As you can see, I plainly still have a lot to do (to stay ahead of the pack even if I may never get out to do any prospecting) but just wanted to let you know how George Love inspired my thinking. Drop me a line to let me know what you think if you have the time.

Sorry about the inconsistent results from cut-and paste -- I typed this in another editor that is now acting up.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(SMILE) The "texts" & BEALE PAPERS were printed, released, etc. to the general public in 1885; 20 years AFTER the CONFEDERATE WAR. NO need to read about "troop(s) movements", then; the CONFEDERATE WAR "theory" has already been explored here on TN... check it out! :coffee2: (WINK)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread