Now we go Horizontal . . . (Cipher 1 observations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if it's more popular to go classically horizontal, I do have some of my older, dustier notes . . . ;)

The attack:

1. Keep Cipher 1 numbers in their original row. (Just posted that so I won't post it again.)
  2. Use the Articles for Confederation for a Letter Count.
  3. YES, you're going to have to anagram -- but there are easy rules.
  4. If the letter in the Articles count is capitalized (highlighted in RED in the PDF attachment for your convenience) then that letter will come FIRST in a word.
  5. If the letter in the Articles count is followed by punctuation (highlighted in YELLOW) that letter comes LAST in a word.
  6. The correct anagram will have a word or letter set that REPEATS itself.
  7. The first letter letter and last letter of each word in this anagram can then be used to make a SECOND anagram.

This section seems to be mostly about people, but I am a firm if somewhat maverick believer that one code can carry another, sooo I am not saying anyone else is wrong in their approach.

Here are the first few horizontal passes:

1) T O R E E H E T L R R E [C] H E Y S L R => HER HER YT STORE [C]ELLAR => H [C]HERRY STREET => "2 her white store cellar/ H Cherry St"

2) R T D O R H R S, [C] R R, H T U I D N => TRUTH S, HID ON RR RR, => [C] HR HR ON S, = "Truth is hid on2 RR/ See 2 our one on S"

3) T E R N S H C T R E H O N E T A => THE THE CORNER ST A => AT C STREET =>
"2 the corner Street A/At C street"

4) A U T I T R L F R N N S A A E O D => UNDER RAIL AT AT FO => FOR ATT RAUL => "Under Rail 2 at F.O. (Front Office)/For Attorney Raul"

5) C V A N I L Y M H R P L F D M E I => MI MI DR H FLYN V PLACE => HERMIN F VIP => "2 mi to Dr H. Flyn Virginia place/Hermin F. VIP"

(accidentally skipped a line/page in my notes :P

7) E N H R E T U R N P C N V [A] E H O O R => ENTER ON HR HR [A]U ON VC => ARCH OVER OUR H => "Enter on2 our gold on V.C./Arch over our house"

As I said before, while I have played with the angle a lot, I was looking for some reason why the Cipher (if what I have is correct) wouldn't be in classic order.

HAPPY HUNTING.

Attachments

• Articles 10 count Excel.pdf
    103.9 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
B

BlueCricket

Greenie
Or you could shift just one letter and have:

:"THE THE CORNER STA/CA STREET"="2 the corner sta(tion)/CA(?) Street"

Just a possibility. If you want, I could post the rest of the letters later tonight to save people the work.

I also planned to post some of my definitely failed methods, and why I tried then tossed them. (Some of the resulting informal codes are cute, and gave semi-promising answers like what I have above and posted earlier.)

This just in: It may also be "A.C. Street" (from the nickname "African Central" RR) due to info found on http://www.livingstoncountylibrary.org/History/Community/Bedford/bedford2.htm .

Other than that, the jusry still remains out.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) Going to the ACA convention in Denver? RR Track is hosting it; LOTS of "spooks" there! (SHADES ON...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlueCricket

Greenie
No, can't make it there (grrrrrr!) I got the price down to about $550 total for round trip air, room rates, and everything else, but still can't swing it. Such is my current state of enforced frugality :P I am consoling myself by going to a game design conference tomorrow at MIT.

Should post more later tonight, as I have new questions, such as "Can you make a sentence out of all the doubled words?" Etc., etc. etc . . .

Also, to console those who are worried about carbon dating the Ciphers -- most likely SOMETHING was being protected, so even if it was in the Civil War era, there may still be room for things like Confederate gold cache.

Meanwhile, Happy Hunting!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
LOL! History of Bedford... in MISSOURI! (WINK) And YES! SOME ppl DO believe the "Beale" is part of the Confederate Treasury. Even Peter Viemeister (RIP) alluded to this in his last book about the Beale Treasure. MANY local ppl here believe THAT more than the "BE" story. MOST of it was used to rebuild VMI in Lexington, Va. after the CONFEDERATE WAR! (GRIN)

K

Kentucky Kache

Railroads were not really in use at the time of the Beale expedition.

OP
OP
B

BlueCricket

Greenie
I understand that. I am just commenting on what plain-text I am getting using this particular method. While I hope that the Beale Treasure was buried within the time frame we were told from the Papers (if at all), coming up with a particular name, or location from the code that is not just a lucky guess, but could be confirmed on, let's say, Ancestry dot com with some digging (no pun intended) would be useful. After all, I could know my grandfather was an avid explorer, say he discovered treasure, build a whole story around it, and even have questionable money I gained myself but that I was trying to explain away by that method. (I don't believe that's what the Beale Cipher's are, but until I crack the codes completely with additional outside historical back-up info, I won't absolutely know)

Anyway, sorry to be lagging behind in posting the rest of the letters like I said I would. Will try to get to finish up as soon as I can.

OP
OP
B

BlueCricket

Greenie
Sorry for the awkward phrasing. What I meant was "If I can find a name in of a location or person in the new cipher work that I am doing, rather than the other way around, that would be a strong indicator that I was on the right track.

Anyway, here is a more complete layout, of which I have what I think are 12 finished out of 29. What is particularly interesting is that line 8 refers to "letter two" (Cipher II) as needing the Declaration of Independence. (DOI)

Once again, the attack:

Keep Cipher 1 numbers in their original row.
Use the Articles for Confederation for a Letter Count.
Yes, you're going to have to anagram -- but there are rules.
If the letter in the Articles count is capitalized (highlighted in RED in the attachment for your convenience) then that letter will come FIRST in a word.
If the letter in the Articles count is followed by punctuation (highlighted in YELLOW) that letter comes LAST in a word.
The correct anagram will have a word or letter set that REPEATS itself.
The first letter letter and last letter of each word in this anagram can then be used to make a second anagram.

This section seems to be mostly about people, but I am a firm if somewhat maverick believer that one code can carry another, sooo I am not saying anyone else is wrong in their approach.

Here are the first few horizontal:

T O R E E H E T L R R E [C] H E Y S L R => HER HER YT STORE [C]ELLAR => H [C]HERRY STREET => "2 her white store cellar/ H Cherry St"

R T D O R H R S, [C] R R, H T U I D N => TRUTH S, HID ON RR RR, => [C] HR HR ON S, = "Truth is hid on2 RR/ See 2 our one on S"

T E R N S H C T R E H O N E T A => THE THE CORNER ST A => AT C STREET => "2 the corner Street A/At C street"

A U T I T R L F R N N S A A E O D => UNDER RAIL AT AT FO => FOR ATT RAUL => "Under Rail 2 at F.O. (Front Office)/For Attorney Raul"

C V A N I L Y M H R P L F D M E I => MI MI DR H FLYN V PLACE => HERMIN F VIP => "2 mi to Dr H. Flyn Virginia place/Hermin F. VIP"

S N L A R T N E U D R H T H H H E A => AND USE THE T HR HR NH LT => RAUL NEED TTTT HR HR => "And use the telegraph 2 our NH Lt./ Raul need 42 hour."

E N H R E T U R N P C N V [A] E H O O R => ENTER ON HR HR [A]U ON VC => ARCH OVER OUR H => "Enter on2 our gold on V.C./Arch over our house"

I O D T T R E O L S I O I E T T W D F => LETTER TWO FITS DOI DOI => DID LIST FOR => "Letter 2 fits DOI / Did list for"

H E E P T N E B U T E, N L N U T => TUNE TUNE BE TEN => TTT BE EE => "Net be 2 tune/30 be 2 E"

T U T F I E R O C H H, E N A Q I T => EACH E O HQ TURN IT IT => II THE NET TO HQ => "Each E ring HQ turn 2 it / 2 the net to HQ"

T H A I N I H T I O S R N I S H L S => IN THIS THIS RAIL IS NH O => SR LT IS S INN HOST "In 2 this rail is NH ring/ Senior Lt. is S Inn host"

I O T Y O R H R Y R R E R E T R A I A => TROY TROY EIRIE AREA R HR => YYATER HEART RT => "2 Troy Eirie area are our/ water heart rt"

(Part I am still finishing, but I wanted to give out the letters to anyway.)

V R D E T A T C H R R Y R T L U E I =>

C T E U S; C H K R H R E R F T O P N R =>

A T T C E U H T E P O L R R S B A E =>

L M L E L O I T T T T T T A S, P T I =>

T O U A E O R T A D R T I A I H M D E =>

I A R R F L S H R B S E R E F F I R =>

T R Y E E O T S A R E U T L D, E R T =>

F P R N O E E S E R R B T F E R N E S =>

U T T S A W E T T E T T N L T S N E =>

F T E H L A H T T A E L A E R U T R =>

L T E H A L T S F O U T T R F H B O => FORTH2

E T D E I S, D N U R I [C] E E I Y E S =>

N D I R R N E G R S A N, L T S, E I L =>

O T R R H D V E T R T L T E N E H S =>

T L E L D E C E E T S E E D E E N =>

H [R] D N S A R T E P R Y T P S, T O E =>

E Q F R B F L R E P B T T N =>

I am REALLY sorry for taking so long to finish this up like I promised, but I have been exhausted for the past week or so :( Anyway, the letters above are what I got from the method I used, and I just wanted everyone to know -- correct or not -- I wasn't hiding my head in shame or running away for taking a stab at this.:coffee2::sadsmiley:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions