Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an area of the Beale Story that has always bothered me a bit:

"IF" the establishment of Morriss was as prominent and so routinely visited by a wide variety of important and influential people, how come there is so little documentation of this place or of it's numerous important and influential visitors? Sure, "some" big names did visit the area, but I can find very few records of this well known prominent establishment and it's many "noteworthy" visitors. Not saying it didn't happen or that the place never really existed in the prominence that it was portrayed, just seems a bit odd to me, that's all.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(?) The WASHINGTON? (1823); The FRANKLIN... 1817 or so. R. Morriss MAY have "boarded" ppl in a room or two in his HOUSE... DUNNO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seems a bit odd when you read the comments about the place in the pamphlet. :dontknow: You would think the place and many of the claimed influential and prominent visitors would have been publicly celebrated, if only locally, and yet........not much is there.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(Coffee & a WINK) I think it was OVER THE YEARS... @ 1819-1862; Western Hotel was the "go to" place... on the old Lynchburg road that went up to the Lynchburg-Salem, Va. Turnpike aka GREAT WESTERN ROAD (NOW - 5th Street). The Western Hotel is now known as Nichols Tavern & is for sale... Thomas Jefferson over-nighted there; I think Andrew Jackson... MANY "famous" ppl. I would buy the place & "restore" it to TJ's era if I had the $$$$$$$$$$$$. http://www.garlandhill.org/tour.php?linknum=1 (Shades on...)

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(Coffee & GRIN) I have been in the Western Hotel/Nichols Tavern (@ 2 years ago); going thru the front door, to my right was a small "reading room" with a fireplace; to my left was a large room, which could have been the lobby/room to "book a room".
Going pass small "reading room" were two rooms, downstairs; going up the stairs, are two more rooms to my right & left. NOT a big place. The large room could also have been a BAR with drinks (Nichols Tavern). The rooms...? LOL! (WINK)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions