Who WAS the author of the BEALE PAPER(S)?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Sherman's name appears on the original copyright. As you know, Sherman was an author who had a long history of writing about treasure. He produced several short pamphlets (dime novels) over the years. This is the strength behind the "hoax" theory, that Sherman's name appears on the copyright and that he had a history of writing and selling treasure tales. However, the lingering question is weather or not this fascination with treasure just came natural to him or if it was something that had been somehow ingrained in him. Ward was simply the agent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Can someone "post" a copy of the copyright "request" here, for review? According to Peter Viemeister (PV... RIP) in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE: A HISTORY of a MYSTERY, "On March 26, 1884, (JB) Ward , now 62, wrote to the Library of Congress asking for a copyright for THE BEALE PAPER, as 'agent for the author'... March 31, 1885, a copyright was granted to Ward." (p. 170). The "Job Print" was a "green-covered booklet... offered in Lynchburg, VIRGINIA... for 50 cents... it was 23 pages" (p. 15).

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reb
I might be mistaken about who the copyright was actually granted to, however, this was the direction I was going in answering your original post/question in regards to the possible author: (The information presents "A VERY STRONG" case) Take notice of the chart detailing the various gold, treasure, cave, etc., details in his other pamphlets/novels.

Page24

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THANKS, "Scoop"... read that before, and went to Roanoke, Va. Library, etc. They DO NOT have the "Attic" paper(s)... Bedford Library... Jones Memorial Library...NO ONE has it... I looked for it! If YOU have a copy... please share; THANKS!

Last edited:

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thomas Jefferson Beale aka Thomas Jefferson (president) was he not the mastermind or atleast a KEY player in it?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down to two very strong possibilities:
A) it was either a factional dime novel by Sherman, or B) is was the result of the French in Texas and the author was someone privy to all the details.

However, even with what we have today, these two theories are running neck and neck.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
DYK? That Peter Viemeister (RIP), in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW HISTORY of a MYSTERY has a photocopy of an original BEALE PAPER(S)? Pg. 22-44; he borrowed it from a WARD descendant; ANOTHER original copy (or the same one) is in the Marshall Museum (VMI) in Lexington, Va. where NSA agents were...

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thank you bigscoop for putting a wrap on this yarn. I had originally thought it a society parlor game which was in vogue back in
the days before more tittilating entertainment became popular. My curiosity is sated. Good work.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Info on LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper 1879-1887; "google" Library of Congress: About
The Lynchburg Virginian. (Lynchburg, Va.) 1879-1887.

Last edited:

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
You Guys are killing me! The author was pre-Sherman. The person who was chosen to publish and distribute the paper also owned the home where Morriss had died. "Future events can be guided with certainty and precision". Morriss died at Shermans house or thats what the writer wanted us to believe.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
JB Ward was the AGENT for the author, and got copyright on it in March, 1885 or so; what say ye? :coffee2: Coffee? 8-)

His analysis of the writing style showed that "Beale" was almost certainly James B. Ward Nickell, Joe (July 1982). "Discovered: The Secret of Beale's Treasure". The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 90 (3): 310–324. JSTOR 4248566. WIKIPEDIA

was the agent AND the author dawg.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm down to two very strong possibilities:
A) it was either a factional dime novel by Sherman, or B) is was the result of the French in Texas and the author was someone privy to all the details.

However, even with what we have today, these two theories are running neck and neck.

For YOU, that is...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Robert Morris died at the home of David Saunders on Rosalyn Street in Lynchburg. His father was Mayor of Richmond after the Civil War. During the Civil War was head of RIchmond City Council among other positions. David Saunders married Robert Morris' niece.

It MAY well be that Robert Morris, KIN (grandson?) of Robert MORRIS, (the signer of the DOI and financier of the American Revolution)... WAS the mayor of Lynchburg, Va. in 1813 or so. My guess is Robert MORRISS of the Beale Papers is HIS son (ie Robert MORRIS V or something)... NOT sure.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just no way to prove who the author was. Still just another one of the Beale Pamphlet's unsolved mysteries. Based on his past ambitions and his position in the mystery, Sherman provides the most circumstantial evidence by a long shot. Writer, editor/printer, related to Ward, etc.,...a very strong possibility even the most diehard true believer can't ignore. Did he write it? Like most everything else in this mystery, just no way to know for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread