History of the buford family and tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Paschal buford still owned buford tavern in 1862,does this tell us that maby rebel is close to being right about confederate gold? Because Robert Morriss did not own or run the tavern in 1822 and in the beale papers Beale claims he went and stayed at bufords?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Paschal buford still owned buford tavern in 1862,does this tell us that maby rebel is close to being right about confederate gold? Because Robert Morriss did not own or run the tavern in 1822 and in the beale papers Beale claims he went and stayed at bufords?

The BEALE PAPERS said TBJ & Associates (FIRST) stayed at Buford's for @ one month; then TJB & @ 2 others went on to Lynchburg, Va. to "board" at the home of Robert Morriss; Washington Inn/House/Hotel was not built until @ 1823.
What Buford had in @ 1862 was LOCUST LEVEL; THAT is where Gen. Robert E. Lee "over-nited" in @ 1869. Remains of Buford's Tavern was/is nearby.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think Gen. Lee & Paschal Buford (friends) "roughed out" the BEALE PAMPHLET, in 1869.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
After Gen. Lee died later in 1869, the info was "put away" until completed for 1885 release...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
1885 release was "effort" of WRITER Ferdinand Hutter (CSA) with his cousin, JB Ward, as the AGENT for the author; JB got the "copy-right" for the BEALE PAPER(S). The HART PAPERS came later, with info from Sgt. Newton Hazlewood (CSA)... the cipher(s) ONLY. It was a story of two TH'ers (HART Bros.)... looking for a Treasure.

Last edited:

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is she referring to the Black Horse Tavern in Roanoke? -Thanks- Josh

Last edited:

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claudine? BHT (Roanoke) is NOT the same as Mountain Gate TOLL GATE "Tavern" on the BRP at Black Horse Gap; in fact, there are TWO BHT "listed". HA!8-)

I figured that were not the same place. But wasn't sure some information was confused. I was not awars of two Black Horse Taverns.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I figured that were not the same place. But wasn't sure some information was confused. I was not awars of two Black Horse Taverns.

YEP! One BHT was at the base of the Fincastle, Va. Turnpike (getting ready for the LONG, steep "climb" up the mountain... fresh horses, STRONG drinks; LOL!); Mountain Gate "Toll Gate" at the top of Black Horse Gap was ALSO known as BHT; the "gap" of the BHT at Mountain Gate can be seen on some videos as Black Horse Gap Bike Trail ("google it") In fact, the "downhill" video is so good, it makes ya feel like you are on one of those stage-coach "back then"... check it out! BLACK HORSE GAP BIKE TRAIL. AND! At one time, Dan Casey (Roanoke, Va.) had a WONDERFUL "still-pics" of the same road, with a "pic" of where the Gap Tavern was... I have even seen it myself; overgrown, etc. BUT! LOTS of "magic" there!

Last edited:

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
He stayed at the comfortable quarters of his home. Was Morriss's home the tavern. 1806 or earlier,Bufords.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
He stayed at the comfortable quarters of his home. Was Morriss's home the tavern. 1806 or earlier,Bufords.

Buford's? NOPE. MORRISS was in LYNCHBURG, Va. From "Post" # 1 (OP) by Kenjmor 2006; 1806... Buford's Tavern was "run" by Henry Buford (Paschal's father); @ 1820 Henry died and left Buford's Tavern to his son, Paschal, who was @ 21 years old. Paschal also built a LARGER federal-style house in 1822 called Locust Level; when married, Paschal & his wife, Frances entertained ppl in a smaller wood frame house, next to Locust Level, called The Hall; Paschal MAY have been the "model" for Robert MORRISS, and his wife, Frances, MAY have been the "model" for Sarah MORRISS. The Hall may have been the "model" for Mason's Hall entertainments; tho, Mason's Hall DID exist in Lynchburg, Va. (Marshall Lodge; 1793), on 9th Street. SO! NO record(s) of TJB being at Buford's in 1806; what cha got?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread