monroe35

Sep 7, 2012
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Beale's companions

Hello, everyone. Who were the men in Beale's group? Well I completed a solution to BC3 and presented it in a book published in 2011. I want to share with you some of that information. I worked on BC3 for many years and finally found a thread of text and 7 maps. I used "The Miller's Tale" in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales. The reason I picked it was that The Canterbury Tales delt with a party of 30 pilgrims on a journey. Sound Familiar? I used the "Miller's Tale" because Paschal Buford owned a mill adjacent to his home and the Tavern in Montvale, VA. I decided to use the predominant sound in the last word in each numbered line taken from the code. How did the writer of the code get all the names and locations of each person in his party in such a short code? Because that information is not in the code. When I numbered the words to use, certain numbers could not be used, so I let them "drop out". Using hints from the code, I went to the 1810 Federal Census and searched each polling location and found the numbers that had "dropped out". I searched the 1820 census and could not locate any of the names in their original locations. I am attaching two pages which show the names.

I will start a new thread soon, and show how I decoded 2 of the 7 maps found in BC3. After that I will have one last thread to tell who I think Tom is, and why.
monroe35 View attachment BC3 - List of Men 2.pdf View attachment BC3 - List of Men.pdf

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monroe,
I appreciate the effort and time you put into C3, but just curious, what makes you think these random names were in a Beale party? Ten years is a long time, many men were moving from one location to another during the period. If I'm understanding you correctly, you applied a process of elimination to arrive at a set of numbers that could be compared to a census thus arriving at a list of random names. Point is, did you select another group of "completely random" names from the first census and then check it against the later one? Odds are, many of the random names in the second group from the first census won't appear in the same location, or not all, on the later census either. The effort is admirable, but it's "probably" just a list of random names. There have been many list of names developed for C3 over the years, some of them with only a few codes altered or left out. I assume you must have later been able to place your list of names in a party such as the claimed Beale party? Second problem, it's a fact that the describe adventure in the Beale Pamphlet could not have taken place as it was told. So I'm just curious to know what makes you think you have anything other then just a list of random names? Sorry to play devil's advocate so much but I think "certainty" is a requirement when investigating these mysteries.

OP
OP
M

monroe35

Sep 7, 2012
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Monroe,
I appreciate the effort and time you put into C3, but just curious, what makes you think these random names were in a Beale party? Ten years is a long time, many men were moving from one location to another during the period. If I'm understanding you correctly, you applied a process of elimination to arrive at a set of numbers that could be compared to a census thus arriving at a list of random names. Point is, did you select another group of "completely random" names from the first census and then check it against the later one? Odds are, many of the random names in the second group from the first census won't appear in the same location, or not all, on the later census either. The effort is admirable, but it's "probably" just a list of random names. There have been many list of names developed for C3 over the years, some of them with only a few codes altered or left out. I assume you must have later been able to place your list of names in a party such as the claimed Beale party? Second problem, it's a fact that the describe adventure in the Beale Pamphlet could not have taken place as it was told. So I'm just curious to know what makes you think you have anything other then just a list of random names? Sorry to play devil's advocate so much but I think "certainty" is a requirement when investigating these mysteries.

Bigscoop, I appreciate your questions. Keep'm coming. The highest line number in "the Miller's Tale" is 668; all the numbers referring to the names are higher - 675 to 951. I prepared a worksheet with the numbers in order for the numbers higher than 668. A hint turned me toward the 1810 Census - "...say'n all who road to west die (see) 1810 domesday (census)" I prepared a worksheet with the numbers that "fell out" in numerical order, with place for notes and description of polling location by county, district etc. I purchased the 1810 federal census. My wife and I went through it and marked the locations where the "number" we were looking for appeared in the census sheets. Using the hint that appears by each name or family name, You can verify this information by checking one of the families on the list if you like. The names were not chosen at random, but by a systematic process based on the hints interpreted by me which are available to you to the right of the names. Families did move around looking for work or a land lottery, but most stayed nearby. Thanks for your response. Monroe35

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A) I live in a retirement community of 600 homes, our annual turnover of properties is about 20%. This means that 2 out of every 10 homes changes hands every year. If I recorded who owned each home today (2012) and then came back 10 years later (2024) I would discover that nearly every home had a new owner by 2024.

B) The 1810 census has no relevance since we are dealing with a period from 1817 to 1822. Given your presented results between the 1810 census and 1820 census, had there been a census for each of the effected years (1817 - 1822) it is most certain you would have arrived at a list containing several different names during each of the effected years, regardless of the system applied in selecting the names.

C) Over the years people have applied the DOI, the Bible, and host of other text to, at first glance, systematically arrive at a list of names contained in C3. Are we to assume they are all correct, or are they just list of randomly selected names?

But regardless of the above, I appreciate the effort and I'm sure you have more in regards to establishing your list of names firmly to a Beale party. I sincerely hope you do. :icon_thumright:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"As the Miller told his tale...

:read2:
...that at first her face just ghostly,turned a whiter shade of pale"
What version of Chaucer?
The original middle English version or a translation from an 18th century book,or a modern translation?
There are differences.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Reb, did you just turn a whiter shade of pale? :laughing7:

NAW... just playing/singing it... GREAT song! LAST song for dances in my teen years to slow-dance with my "honey"; NEVER did understand the words, tho... music was/is GREAT!
And the tongue wrasselling...WHEW!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

monroe35

Sep 7, 2012
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello, ECS. I used a modern translation. Donald R. Howard. Geoffrey Chaucer The Canterbury Tales: a SelectionThe New American Library. New York, 1969. Howard says that "the spelling is normalized, and made modern as far as is consistent with Middle English pronunciation." I liked it because the ilnes were already numbered. monroe35

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, ECS. I used a modern translation. Donald R. Howard. Geoffrey Chaucer The Canterbury Tales: a SelectionThe New American Library. New York, 1969. Howard says that "the spelling is normalized, and made modern as far as is consistent with Middle English pronunciation." I liked it because the ilnes were already numbered. monroe35
The version of Chaucer Beale would have had access to would have been quite different from Howard's translation. Just saying.:blob1::whip2:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
And YET! From Procol Harum in 1967 song... "And so it was that later... that the miller told his tale; that her face at first GHOSTLY; turned A WHITER SHADE OF PALE". BEST "all-time" song for tongue wrasselling! HA!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did the author know the key was an, "unintelligible piece of paper.." Books, scripts, documents, articles, maps, etc., all of these are intelligible works, are they not? Unless, of course, they are perhaps written in a foreign language which would have then also required Morriss to be fluent in that language, which is very doubtful and quite speculative. "Piece of paper" also pretty much rules out anything of multiple pages. I don't think there is any doubt that the author knew exactly what "unintelligible piece of paper" he was referring to, if in fact there is any truth at all to the tale.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The author of the "Job Print Pamphlet" only said that along with the letters in the iron box were other papers that would be unintelligible without the "Key" and he said he would send him a "key" from St. Louis that would be mailed in June, 1832.

Not quite....keep looking.....as he's explaining why he wrote the pamphlet he makes reference to possibly drawing someone's attention to the otherwise "unintelligible piece of paper..." I'd give you the page number but I just mailed my copy of the pamphlet off to a friend for a while.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have to agree with franklin on the "FACTUAL" history of Lynchburg, Va.; Robert MORRISS vs Robert MORRIS. There is only ONE book, as he mentions that has Robert & Sarah MORRISS... only ONE! NO other "histories" have MORRISS... HOWEVER! There is LOTS of info on Robert MORRIS, who WAS mayor of Lynchburg, Va. & he WAS on many boards & connected to the ferry biz, etc. The Washington Inn/House/Hotel was built in 1823; so TJB had to have "boarded" a room in RM's house, or at the Franklin, as franklin "said"; it was the FIRST brick hotel, built in 1817, I think. The "brickmason" (Master) also built TJ's Academical Village in Ch'ville, Va. (UVA), @ 2-3 miles from Monticello... it was a fellow with the last name of BROWN.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
franklin,
It's near the opening of the book, during the opening explanation, and it states, as the author is detailing his reasons for presenting the story to the public, and in reference to the missing key he states;

"That they would attach no importance to a seemingly unintelligible writing seems quite natural; but their attention being called to them by the publication of this narrative, may result in eventually bringing to light the missing paper."

Clearly the author was already aware that he was looking for a missing, "unintelligible piece of paper". This would not include any written or drawn material that one could observe and understand in any intelligible fashion, unless you were already aware of the paper's design and purpose. Nor would it include more then one piece of paper.

As for a treasure? Personally, and from what I and others have researched, I/we believe there were two deposits just as stated, the source of some of that money having already been located. Is it still there? Very doubtful considering the source/sources, but as it stands right now, given some the not yet fully understood circumstances, it's not been completely ruled out. At least, this is what I/we believe the situation to be at present.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread