OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I suspect Sherman was, perhaps, just a descendent of the Mr. Sherman at Galveston.
The Texas State Historical Association has great information on Long,Lallemand,Lafitte,& Graham.
LAFFITE, JEAN | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
It mentions that Lafitte plotted to betray Lallemand and Champ d'Asile to the Spanish,and also discusses George Graham's plans for Lafitte,which included James Long.
Many links are included for additional information on the principals involved.
The only Sherman of Galveston I could find was Gen Sidney Sherman,but he was there after the Lafitte events.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Texas State Historical Association has great information on Long,Lallemand,Lafitte,& Graham.
LAFFITE, JEAN | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
It mentions that Lafitte plotted to betray Lallemand and Champ d'Asile to the Spanish,and also discusses George Graham's plans for Lafitte,which included James Long.
Many links are included for additional information on the principals involved.
The only Sherman of Galveston I could find was Gen Sidney Sherman,but he was there after the Lafitte events.

And here's part of the problem when trying to iron everything out; over the course of our investigations into the Galveston/Champ de Asile/French events in Texas we have found contradictory evidence in some of the general information that's out there. Part of these issues can be traced back to earlier authors who simply wrote what they believed to be the truth based on the limited information at hand. In fact, there were newspaper articles at the time detailing how the US navy "Blew Laffite and his band of bandits" off the island, however, today we know that simply wasn't the case. And today we also know that swearing allegiance to Spain was rather common by those who were simply trying to take advantage of the access this simple act afforded. We hear a lot about the Laffite's having been Spanish spies of Spain because of this, yet there is seldom any mention of the letters in existence that document the Spanish discovering the betrayal in their misplaced trust in the Laffites. And as for James Long, you have to keep in mind that these insurgents were a growing menace to the Laffite plan, many of them being the last elements desired for the benefit of, "the cause". Laffite, Long, Lallemand, etc.,...they all possessed different attitudes and ideas and plans for the region, just another example of the many complications that were becoming all too routine in the region. Tat probably describes all of these elements best when he refers to them all as being, "opportunist".

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have looked high and low for Laffite's "Mr. Sherman" but with no avail. Isolating him would certainly go a long way in either establishing a possible trail or the eliminating of those possibilities surrounding his existence. In 1821 we have a man named Sherman who was, in some way, connected to a secret distribution of gold from the southwest to places uncertain. In 1885 we have a man named Sherman who is fascinated by tales of treasure and who is also intimately involved in the publishing of a story about a lost treasure shipment from exactly the same time period as our earlier Sherman. I want to know who, "C. Sherman", of the C. Sherman Printing Co. of Philadelphia was? Might be connected in some way, may not be connected at all? Just curious where John Sherman's writing and printing/publishing background came from?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s the questions that still need answered in regards to John Sherman:

A) Is it possible that his personal fascination with tales of treasure had been handed down to him by way of family history?

B) Is it possible that the real author of the pamphlet sought John Sherman out because he had reason to believe that John Sherman was a possible heir of the earlier Sherman who was involved in the distributions from Galveston Island?

C) Or, is it possible that both A&B are true?

To me, and based on everything I have researched in regards to this mystery, this is still the one critical area that needs a final and accurate conclusion.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, John Willam Sherman died at Western State Hospital in Staunton, Va.; he was committed, as being INSANE... taken there by the SHERIFF of Lynchburg, VIRGINIA. Hmmm... (pg. 24 indicate DOD). WSH; @ 1916-Dec.2, 1938.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John W. Sherman b. 1859
Henry H. Sherman b. 1822
William N. Sherman b. ? All we really know about him is that his life appears to have been troubled and that he married Harriet Otey, these two being Henry's mother and father.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to know who, "C. Sherman", of the C. Sherman Printing Co. of Philadelphia was? Might be connected in some way, may not be connected at all?
C SHERMAN & SON PRINTING CO 19 St James Street,Philadelphia Circa 1840-1872
Published non fiction-religious sermons,political speeches and essays,including 1864 civil rights speeches of Octavius Catto,legal decisions(Horace Binney work as opposing council against Danial Webster in the Supreme Court case-BIDAL v. GIRARDS EXECUTORS,yes,Stephen Girard) and an expedition account:UNITED STATES EXPLORING EXPEDITION 1838-1842 UNDER THE COMMAND OF CHARLES WILKES,USN.
There appears to be no connection to John William Sherman of the Beale pamphlet.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your fingers crossed, may have run into Mr. Sherman today and if so, this is going to get really interesting. Give us bit of time to investigate the situation a little further but at face value it is looking very promising. Let you know something as soon as we see what it's all about. :icon_thumleft:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The mention of a WARD and SHERMAN at Galveston in Lafitte's memoirs is indeed intriguing,but they would have been too old to have been the Ward/Sherman of the "BEALE PAPERS".
Can a connection be made?

PROBABLY as a "Will" thing... in the family. (5th Generation)...?

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone working on the Beale Treasure Cipher Codes are looking over one simple bit of information about TJB. I am going to use this bit of simple information to solve the mystery. I am already writing a book that will not be released on the Beale Treasure until we recover the Confederate Gold. There is a connection between the two but it is not the treasure------they are two different treasures but hidden by the same people or group of people.

All I can tell you is that what we have is "documented" and it can now be traced back to Bedford Co. As far as a CSA thing, we have found zero documented evidence suggesting it has anything to do with the story, or that such a hidden CSA treasury ever existed.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
All I can tell you is that what we have is "documented" and it can now be traced back to Bedford Co. As far as a CSA thing, we have found zero documented evidence suggesting it has anything to do with the story, or that such a hidden CSA treasury ever existed.

LOL!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Everyone working on the Beale Treasure Cipher Codes are looking over one simple bit of information about TJB. I am going to use this bit of simple information to solve the mystery. I am already writing a book that will not be released on the Beale Treasure until we recover the Confederate Gold. There is a connection between the two but it is not the treasure------they are two different treasures but hidden by the same people or group of people.

GREAT!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The keyword in that statement being, "hidden". Sure, there is a mystery surrounding the CSA treasury, however, when one researches all the sources he is quick to discover that all of the "hidden" CSA Treasury stories originated from those doing the investigating. In other words, there isn't a single piece of "credible documented" evidence that it was actually ever hidden away in some secret location for later use. If you can find one, or know of one, please present it here because I've never seen it. You may find documented evidence that there was talk of such a thing but that's about it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not only heard talk of hidden Confederate Treasure but I have documented evidence which I will not reveal to you or anyone else until after these treasures are recovered.

Well, good luck with all that. But I can tell you straight up......"the Beale pamphlet had nothing whatsoever to do with the missing CSA treasury, or the KGC, etc." So if you have indeed found something, it's completely unrelated to the Beale mystery. But even so, good luck to you with whatever you think you have. :thumbsup:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, I will tell you this much about the Beale Treasure or the man that is believed to have buried the treasure. Thomas J. Beale, the middle initial does not signify "Jefferson" His middle name came from one of their neighbors. His sister married one of them 16 years after TJB was born. His sister was born 8 years before TJB. I have a picture of her painting.

Also, TJB had a nickname that he went by--------it is in the Bible--------one of the cities built by King Solomon.

Franklin, we've found Laffite's "Mr. Sherman" and as they say, the gig is now up and the entire circle is now completed. So, I don't know what you think you have, but the Beale mystery, "was definitely a French thing". This much I can tell you with "absolute certainty" now.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trivia question:
During the War of 1812 who championed the proposal and ended up issuing United States Privateering Commissions? (If you don't know, you may want to be seated as you are researching it. :laughing7:) And here's the best part.....those commissions were either issued to the ship owner or through the ship's investors. :o Now if this information doesn't cause the light to burn a little brighter then I'd say the bulb needs replaced. :laughing7:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions