Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That was an interesting read,ie,the personalities section,that claimes it was a dime novel written by Sherman ,copyrighted by Ward,to raise funds for the bereaved families caused by the fire 1883.:icon_thumleft: Great link,Rebel :icon_thumright:

YEP! TY, SOME of it has already been "disproven" by "on the ground" work, tho.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Norvell House"......I've not looked, so does anyone know where the name Norvell originated from as it relates to the property?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The "Norvell House"......I've not looked, so does anyone know where the name Norvell originated from as it relates to the property?

WHY do you wanna know...? Info is PROBABLY in Jones Memorial Library; Research Section.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
All you have to do is google the Norvell Otey House and it will tell you all about the Norvells. I believe it was Captain William Norvell. His daughter married John Otey. Their daughter was named a Captain and over all the CSA Hospitals by order of President Davis. John Otey sons and family cemetery is straight across the road from the Bedford City Hall below the Museum and Court House.

Have the SAME info... where the CSA Hospitals in Lynchburg, Va. were during the CONFEDRATE WAR is available on Old City Cemetery "Map"; MOSTLY old tobacco warehouses.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I hate to pre-date your CSA stuff, but:
Actually, there are two historical Norvell houses in Lynchburg, one at 1020 Federal Street that was built in 1817, and another one at 822 Federal st. that was built in 1818. Can't believe you locals aren't all over this stuff!

Lynchburg Virginia Architecture - William West Norvell House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lynchburg Virginia Architecture - Norvell-Otey House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1817, 1818, when was the whole Beale party thing said to establish? You can lead the herd to water but you just can't make them drink! :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am not going to play your game. If you think you already have this damn information quit asking locals for the information. Enjoy your information hunt for the treasure and leave me alone. Rebel can speak for himself. I am out of here. I have not got time to waste with no it alls.

Calm down Franklin, I'd say it's a good day whenever you/we learn something knew. :icon_thumleft: "Know it all"....Thanks for the high praise, but don't I wish that were true. Like, I didn't know there were two Norvell houses until you told me to google it, and "poof", there it was, very first link. Hence, "leading the herd to water", meaning we are all the herd. I was just surprised you locals didn't already know there were two Norvell houses. I'm sure if you had you would have shared that. Right? But now we all know, thanks to your simple suggestion. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I hate to pre-date your CSA stuff, but:
Actually, there are two historical Norvell houses in Lynchburg, one at 1020 Federal Street that was built in 1817, and another one at 822 Federal st. that was built in 1818. Can't believe you locals aren't all over this stuff!

Lynchburg Virginia Architecture - William West Norvell House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lynchburg Virginia Architecture - Norvell-Otey House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1817, 1818, when was the whole Beale party thing said to establish? You can lead the herd to water but you just can't make them drink! :laughing7:

HA! Knew about BOTH of 'em... SO WHAT!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Calm down Franklin, I'd say it's a good day whenever you/we learn something knew. :icon_thumleft: "Know it all"....Thanks for the high praise, but don't I wish that were true. Like, I didn't know there were two Norvell houses until you told me to google it, and "poof", there it was, very first link. Hence, "leading the herd to water", meaning we are all the herd. I was just surprised you locals didn't already know there were two Norvell houses. I'm sure if you had you would have shared that. Right? But now we all know, thanks to your simple suggestion. :icon_thumleft:

MY answer is that BOTH Norvell & Otey are names for "the story"; why I gave YOU the ONLY one that is a Bed & Breakfast "Inn", that YOU can "experience" it... WASN'T any need to share about the NOVELL HOUSE... BORRIIIINNNG! HA!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY answer is that BOTH Norvell & Otey are names for "the story"; why I gave YOU the ONLY one that is a Bed & Breakfast "Inn", that YOU can "experience" it... WASN'T any need to share about the NOVELL HOUSE... BORRIIIINNNG! HA!

So are you saying one is "Norvell" and the other is actually "Novell"? It's my understanding that they are both "Norvell" and that the families were related. Is that not correct? :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
So are you saying one is "Norvell" and the other is actually "Novell"? It's my understanding that they are both "Norvell" and that the families were related. Is that not correct? :dontknow:

Yes... BOTH are NORVELL; NOVELL is "typo". Norvell-Otey "connected", YEP!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a reason it is called, "Federal Street? Was that just a name of convenience or does it have a referenced point of origin for it's selecting?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Is there a reason it is called, "Federal Street? Was that just a name of convenience or does it have a referenced point of origin for it's selecting?

YEP! (MHO); "post"- CONFEDERATE WAR! NAMES of streets WERE changed from FIRST old map of Lynchburg, Va.; OLD map MAY be "on-line"... DUNNO.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Lynchburg, Va. @ 1817 or so was ONLY up to "Court-House Hill"; TODAY, all the way up to Rt. 460! (Liberty University area).

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's odd that both of those homes were built in 1817 & 1818, just when the Beale story was said to have it's beginnings.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It's odd that both of those homes were built in 1817 & 1818, just when the Beale story was said to have it's beginnings.

Nah; 1819... Lynchburg, Va. HISTORY indicate that ONLY the FRANKLIN HOTEL was existing as the FIRST brick hotel (1817). Mr. Brown did the BRICK WORK; Later did the OLD UVA, known as the Academical Village, at the request of Thomas Jefferson. Mr. Brown ALSO did work at Poplar Forest at TJ's request. All other "Lodgings" were at "Drinking Inns" or Boarders in PRIVATE homes, with empty rooms or two, in Lynchburg, Va.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread