Morriss, Norvell, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Apparently, these homes can be deeded back, or historically traced back, to their original dates of construction? May not have originally been brick? Don't know how the curators of the information on these homes established these dates but they must have some type of evidence/record to support the claims of 1817 & 1818. :dontknow:

Other thing that I found INTERESTING is that SOME of the original houses were MOVED to a DIFFERENT location; checked out 3 books from Library yesterday; bought a copy of SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG, 1887... NOT sure if it is "on-line".
STREETS OF LYNCHBURG by Martha H.C. Craddock on page 90... "NORVELL HOUSE COURT.... was named for an 1852 Lynchburg hotel, the NORVELL HOUSE. Built ORIGINALLY as the Franklin Hotel, the Norvell House was given its name when it was REMODELED in 1852. Chambers says it closed it doors in 1885 and 'was soon demolished'. First as the FRANKLIN, then as the NORVELL HOUSE, it had witnessed and housed as much of the City's history as any building."
On OLD map of Lynchburg, Va., Franklin Hotel was on Lot # 8, EAST corner of 8th & Church Streets." (LYNCHBURG: "The Most Interesting Spot" by Dorothy T. Potter & Clifton w. Potter, Jr. as Fourth Alley & 2nd Street on OLD map). 1817 era
Lynchburg had ONLY 4 streets and 7 Alleys... THAT is in TBJ "era". SO! NORVELL-OTEY HOUSE on Federal Street... ???

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reb! So the Franklin/Norvell was in business through 1817-1885, the same exact period as the Beale story to it's publication date (1817 - 1885). That's interesting.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks Reb! So the Franklin/Norvell was in business through 1817-1885, the same exact period as the Beale story to it's publication date (1817 - 1885). That's interesting.

YEP! It was demolished, tho. Today's NORVELL HOUSE on Federal Street is NOT the SAME! MORE info... FRANKLIN HOTEL was OWNED by Robert MORRIS (former Mayor of Lynchburg, Va., 1813). In 1819, a depression in Lynchburg, Va. resulted in Robert MORRIS losing $$$$$$$ from his investments. I am just repeating info from franklin & I... in the "Thread" on THIS Forum... NEEDING MY "FIX"; GO THERE!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wife & I went on Federal Street, yesterday... found NORVELL HOUSE; NOT impressed; has NOTHING to do with "the story". Federal Street is BEYOND Court House Hill... didn't exist in the 1817 + "era". Even the NORVELL-OTEY HOUSE (which I WILL look for, next week), could not have been in OLD Lynchburg, Va.; NOT shown on OLD map of streets & alleys (1817 + "era"). COULD have had ANOTHER name, then... DUNNO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread