PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Ok, I am not a Beale hunter and don't know anything about it. But, I have been going through some of my old copies of National Prospector's Gazette, published by Karl Von Mueller. I ran across this article in the August - December 1979 issue (Volume 10, No. 5.)

I scanned it and put it into a pdf. You will probably have to zoom in to read the text. Maybe someone could make use of the information.

Good luck & happy hunting.

Patrick

Attachments

• Beale NSP.pdf
    639.9 KB · Views: 453

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone, Ok, I am not a Beale hunter and don't know anything about it. But, I have been going through some of my old copies of National Prospector's Gazette, published by Karl Von Mueller. I ran across this article in the August - December 1979 issue (Volume 10, No. 5.) I scanned it and put it into a pdf. You will probably have to zoom in to read the text. Maybe someone could make use of the information. Good luck & happy hunting. Patrick

The scan was difficult to read even with magnification. I treasure my preserved copies of the NPG and always enjoy posting/considering information about great articles such as the one you shared.

Would you please post a synopsis/conclusion of the von Mueller 'Beale treasure' recovery article?

Thanks!

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chirper97,

I think the problem lies in scanning a small newspaper size printing then adjusting it to fit on an 8.5 X 11 powerpoint before converting it to a PDF.

Here are the original scans in JPG format. In order, Beale 1, 2 then 3. You should be able to save the files to your local computer then zoom in to read.

Beale1.jpg
Beale2.jpg
Beale3.jpg

Let me know if you are unable to read these and I will summarize it.

Good luck with your hunting.

Patrick

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PatrickD

Perfect scan! thank you. I love re-visiting KvM's NPG articles.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O......K........ And I believe this writer is probably very correct! During that time period there was a major interest in mysticism, treasure tales, secret societies, etc. Everybody and his brother had witching rods and seer stones, e.g., Urim & Thummim. In fact, that's how Sidney Rigdon and Joseph Smith got their start, with a possible bit of plagiarism from the writings of Solomon Spalding. The country was rife with hoaxes and conmen, so I don't doubt whatsoever that this may just have been another of the many. Usually, though, these cons had a profit motive, but I can't see how Ward stood to make any money off his hoax, if that is what it was.

And, no, my reference to Joseph Smith is not meant to bash Mormons, but merely to point out how widespread such mystical beliefs were at that time in history.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
LOL! You should read the HART PAPERS by George Hart, Sr. About the "BEALE" Treasure... WEIRD!

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! You should read the HART PAPERS by George Hart, Sr. About the "BEALE" Treasure... WEIRD!

Can you summarize the weird/interesting aspects of the Hart Papers?

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is difficult to challenge guidance from other realms. It reminds me one time of this company who produced tea(s). Their herbal mixes were very unusual. When asked how they came up with such unusual blends of herbs, plants, flowers, etc... The answer.... "I go into a meditative state and my spirit guide tells me what plants to mix together for tea blends."

You don't hear much about Psychics winning the lottery, predicting going out of business, or knowing why you are there and that you were coming... :)

Patrick

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
" You don't hear much about Psychics winning the lottery, predicting going out of business, or knowing why you are there and that you were coming... :) Patrick

For sure! I do believe there are certain things that border on "psychic", but I don't believe it can be done at will. I tend to lump the modern psychics with other scams such as astral projection, mesmerism, dowsing, numerology, astrology, etc. Along with MOST alchemy, though not all. I occasionally see police departments paying psychics to search for clues or bodies. In my opinion, that is pure hogwash and a waste of taxpayer money.

People will always want to feel that SOMETHING is in control when they are not.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my psychic said that ancient astronaut theorists conflicted with mainstream scientists regarding the issue.

Honestly, I don't know what it has to do. I am actually unfamiliar with the BEALE. I just thought it might be a useful article for those so inclined to search for this one. I am a LUE man myself.

Patrick

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
O......K........ And I believe this writer is probably very correct! During that time period there was a major interest in mysticism, treasure tales, secret societies, etc. Everybody and his brother had witching rods and seer stones, e.g., Urim & Thummim. In fact, that's how Sidney Rigdon and Joseph Smith got their start, with a possible bit of plagiarism from the writings of Solomon Spalding. The country was rife with hoaxes and conmen, so I don't doubt whatsoever that this may just have been another of the many. Usually, though, these cons had a profit motive, but I can't see how Ward stood to make any money off his hoax, if that is what it was. And, no, my reference to Joseph Smith is not meant to bash Mormons, but merely to point out how widespread such mystical beliefs were at that time in history.

What you are talking about is folk magic...divining rods are a good example. How common things like seer stones were at that time is certainly debatable, though it can clearly be demonstrated that they were in larger use and had a greater sense of acceptance at the time. While I take issue with your suggestion that the Book of Mormon is a fraud or plagiarized from Spaluding (a theory that has been debunked for over a century), it is well known that Joseph Smith engaged in "treasure finding. Your point holds true as not only was he using a seer stone in this endeavor, it does not seem to be a practice that many found unusual much less alarming.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you are talking about is folk magic...divining rods are a good example. How common things like seer stones were at that time is certainly debatable, though it can clearly be demonstrated that they were in larger use and had a greater sense of acceptance at the time. While I take issue with your suggestion that the Book of Mormon is a fraud or plagiarized from Spaluding (a theory that has been debunked for over a century), it is well known that Joseph Smith engaged in "treasure finding. Your point holds true as not only was he using a seer stone in this endeavor, it does not seem to be a practice that many found unusual much less alarming.

One thing I have to make clear: I have no intention of bashing Mormons, some of the finest people I have ever known. I do not wish to get into a discussion of religion here, but for the record, I am nominally a Mormon, an elder, married in the Salt Lake Temple. My son was a missionary to Argentina. I have stood in on innumerable Elders Quorum meetings and read many books on Mormon history, both pro and con. The possibility of plagiarism from Spalding has been, and will be, argued ad infinitum, so it is pointless to go there.

You are right that seer stones and other mysticisms were common in those days and were nothing to cause alarm among the populace. There are court records in existence, however, that Smith was charged in court with fraud and swindle for use of seer stones to locate treasure. Also, there was serious suspicion that he and Sidney Rigdon were involved in a traveling "sideshow" involving metal plates that they had supposedly translated.

This is way too complicated to get into here. I don't disparage anyone's beliefs, for that is a personal preference. I have innumerable Mormon friends, and they are wonderful people. I will never disrespect them for that, but over the years I have come to believe something different. My sons are Mormon, and I cannot think unkindly toward them for being so, but I have chosen to go my own way.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again this makes me late to the conversation. I personal knew the writer of this article in the NPG. He is now dead. He died at age 92 and was a active treasure hunter up in his mid 80's. I hunted treasure with him many times in my youth. He was part of the K von M inter circle. I was introduced to him by K von M. knew them both. Will had studied the Beale code and Treasure for years and could tell you more about it than about any other living person back in the 1970's. When K von M need information on it he would turn to Will for answers. That ought to tell you how much he was thought of. We had many ,many conversations deep into the night about the codes and treasure. My knowledge of masonry and his knowledge of the treasure worked hand in hand. I believe that with Wilhelm Koch article in the NPG it should end the mystery once and for all. But follow your dreams if you must.

As Karl would say Exanimo,

S.D.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Dale Morgan wrote the definitive history of early Mormanism. Anyone can access it on the web.
Yes, Joseph Smith practiced sorcery and eventually founded a most unconventional 'religion', truly
stranger than fiction.

I have contended on this forum that like Yuma said the Beale legend was a product of imagination
and boredom. Founded on a fabricated adventure without merit signifying nothing other than a
parlor game for folks with rich imaginations. An implausible beginning betrays logic and that is
something a treasure seeker cannot bear.

The great legends start with a preamble an ordinary person can choke down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread