Sherman, Ward and Other Lynchburgers-...Free Masons or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys- I need someone to answer at least some of these questions concretely. I'm a Virginian but I'm not in the country at the moment and cannot do the work in-person (Lynchburg is just 2-hrs away normally)

Apparently James B. Ward was a member of the Dove Lodge #51 in Richmond between 1862 and 1867. It is believed his membership expired or lapsed and he was dismissed. From what I've been able to research however, the Lodge was burned down during the Union assault in 1865, so literally everyone in the Lodge was suspended. My question is- did Ward ever re-join another Lodge or was that the entirety of his Masonic experience?

A similar question about John W. Sherman. I'm having a very hard time connecting him in literally any way to TBP except to note that he was responsible for producing copies. That doesn't seal the deal for me. If however it can be proven he was a Mason I might be swayed. Was he? When and where?

Were any other family members in the connected Ward/Otey/Risque/Sherman/Buford/Mitchell/Morriss clan prominent Freemason at the time the Papers were written (which I'm saying were between 1880 and early 1884)?

One last one....

I believe the unknown author of the Papers crafted his persona around a man who was very well known in Lynchburg at the time of the Paper's release. This doesn't imply the Papers were written by this person but only that the author wanted others to think he was responsible. This person was Francis B. Deane III, owner of the Deane Foundry.

Deane III inherited this business from his father, Francis B. Deane Jr after his father's death in 1867. The father, Deane Jr was responsible for the creation of the famous Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond and was a VA Commonwealth State Representative. Deane Jr was also on Jeff Davis' privy council during the War.

The Deanes lived in the Diamond Hill section of Lynchburg and were considered highly-affluent.

In 1862, Deane's company was given a massive munitions contract which required his son, Francis B. Deane III to leave Lynchburg for Richmond in order to run the business. This coincides with the statement in the TBP in which the author said he had to attend to matters of utmost importance in Richmond.

Additionally, why would Morriss..in the middle of the War, gifts just one man, and one Morriss considered young, the secret of the Beale treasure? Morriss would have only done this if he knew this man would not see combat- and Deane III, only 27 years old in 1862, never saw combat due his worth as a munitions man.

Francis' younger brother John C. Deane was also killed at the Battle of Phillipi in 1861, in one of the first skirmishes in the War....thus being now the only surviving son of a member of Jeff Davis' privy council likely ensured Deane III would never here a gun fire. All of this would have been known info and gossip to Lynchburgers of the 1880s.

The Deane Foundry flourished during the War but once the Confederacy was lost the Union occupiers shut it down for roughly a year after the War's conclusion. It was re-opened in roughly 1867 (the same year Deane jr. died), to provide flywheels and train parts, but by the late 1870s the Foundry was floundering financially and closed in bankruptcy in roughly 1879.

In Nov of 1880, a Philadelphia conglomerate purchased the foundry and re-lit the furnaces. It would not be hard for Lynchburgers to say to themselves...."Hmm...who do we know who didn't see action in War, was born of affluence but squandered it all?" It would not be difficult to think immediately of Deane...and that the real reason Deane had squandered his father's business was not due to misfortune but inattention caused by a devotion to solving the Beale Ciphers instead of focusing on family and work.

Deane III's running of the company his father had given him was a failure and was followed by a stint as the president of the Glamorgan Co (a small foundry which specialized in pipe and fire hydrants). Deane quit after a year however citing ill health. Again, all of this too would have been well-known to Lynchburgers of the time period.

Although he never worked again health did not appear to an issue as he lived until 1903, He was not buried in his family's plot (as his father and grandfather were) in Cartersville (called the "Deanery" and where Deane III was born) but in Lynchburg.

Very interestingly, Deane III had only one son....Thomas J. Deane- a name extremely similar to the TBP protagonist.

My question is....was Deane III a Freemason? If he was, then he may have indeed written the Papers. Otherwise, it appears someone used his life as a template.

Why I ask about Masonic memberships is due to what I've found within the contents of both the narrative and the ciphers- material which clearly and overtly Masonic.

I can't pull the trigger and publish this yet however until I can wrap up a couple loose ends...and this is by far the biggest.

Were any of the "players" or their close associates/family members and Francis B. Deane III, Freemasons during the time of the TBP publication?

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I am in Lynchburg, Va. and VERY "into" the Beale "story". John W. Sherman was NEVER a Freemason to my knowledge & I have not found ANYTHING on him being JB Ward's cousin. MY "connecting" links are JB Ward, N. Hazlewood (Hart Papers), the Hutter Bros (cousins of JB Ward)... ALL Freemasons, as well as OTHERS "players" in the Beale "story" & Hart Papers by George Hart, Jr. (who was made 32nd Scottish Rite at 91 years of age... to keep "The SECRET"...?). BTW, found NO Dean III "connection"... Carry On, tho! Major Ferdinand C. Hutter, author of Beale Papers... was ALSO CSA Paymaster, and could have been "called to Richmond"... HH! :coffee2: Coffee...? :2barsgold::2barsgold::2barsgold: :icon_thumleft: 8-)

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
After the CONFEDERATE WAR, Maj. FC Hutter (CSA) worked for Internal Revenue Service (City of Lynchburg) under Capt. JH Rives (CSA) & would have known of SUDDEN WEALTH if "Hidden Cache" was found; NONE reported. GREAT book to read by the late "Grandmaster" of the Beale Treasure story, Peter Viemeister... CONFEDERATE TREASURE COVERUP: Duty, Honor, & Deceit; Confederate Treasure Coverup HH! ALSO... FC Hutter was paymaster for U.S. Army (as was HIS father in St. Loo) before the CONFEDERATE WAR. Hmmm...

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Enigmatist

The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
Reb- Thanks for the quick reply- Yes, not saying Deane III did the Papers but at a minimum it sure seems the circumstances of his life could have provided some of the few details we "know" about the author. If he wasn't a Mason, then he's scratched off my list- as is Sherman.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have found the PHOENIX Foundry in Lynchburg, Va., which DID provide "assets" (Iron) to the REBS, during the CONFEDERATE WAR; it was near the James River, with MANY Railroad tracks. HUGE "Complex"!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
After the CONFEDERATE WAR, Maj. FC Hutter (CSA) worked for Internal Revenue Service (City of Lynchburg) under Capt. JH Rives (CSA) & would have known of SUDDEN WEALTH if "Hidden Cache" was found; NONE reported. GREAT book to read by the late "Grandmaster" of the Beale Treasure story, Peter Viemeister... CONFEDERATE TREASURE COVERUP: Duty, Honor, & Deceit; Confederate Treasure Coverup HH! ALSO... FC Hutter was paymaster for U.S. Army (as was HIS father in St. Loo) before the CONFEDERATE WAR. Hmmm...

R & I indicate that Maj. FC Hutter was "called to Richmond" to separate "Richmond Stores" of $$$$$$$$ from "CSA Stores" of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (CSA Treasury), SOME of which WAS given to the STATE OF VIRGINIA to pay REBEL soldiers. ALL of it was transferred to Lynchburg, Va. when Lynchburg, Va. was STATE CAPITAL of VIRGINIA (for FOUR days). As Yanks got closer to Lynchburg, Va., horses & a HUGE wagon load of "stuff".... (PROBABLY GOLD & SILVER BARS with NO initials (CSA)...) was observed "high-tailing" WEST up into the mountains, next to James River in Bedford County, Va. R & I indicate it was the OLD Trent Ferry Road (Boonsboro area) there was a CAVE above Abert, Va. on the RR Tracks & James River. ALL of which MAY been been on-loaded to a Packet Boat, like the MARSHALL... which carried the body of Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson to Lexington, Va./VMI. WHEN was THAT...? 1863...? Hmmm...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
TREDEGAR IRON WORKS SUBMARINE

I have found the PHOENIX Foundry in Lynchburg, Va., which DID provide "assets" (Iron) to the REBS, during the CONFEDERATE WAR; it was near the James River, with MANY Railroad tracks. HUGE "Complex"!
During the War of Northern Aggression,the Tredegar Iron Works located on the James River in Richmond,supplied the Confederacy with various supplies,including the plates that were used on the ironclad gunboats.
In 1864,CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin approached Tredegar owner,Joseph Reid Anderson,concerning the possibilty that Tredegar's engineer and designer,William Cheney,could design and build a steam powered submarine that had a bellows/snorkel air system when submerged.Anderson and Cheney said they could and Benjamin commissioned them to build a submarine for the CSA.
Word of this new vessel being built reached Lincoln,and he tasked US spymaster, Allen Pinkerton,to gain intelligence on this new war machine.
Pinkerton's deep cover spy in Richmond,was Elizabeth Baker,who through her CSA officer connections,got invited to a test run of this sub at Tredegar's dock on the James River. Baker reported back to Pinkerton that this "underwater vessel" worked and was fully operational.
March,1865,Varina Davis,accompanied by her husband Jefferson's nephew,CSA Capt John Taylor Wood and Mary Chestnutt,christened the sub,"COME RETRIBUTION" on Tredegar's James River dock,and Judah P Benjamin placed a "secret cargo" on board.
April 2,1865,Richmond fell,and the flight was on.Union forces burned down the Tredegar Iron Works,but no submarine was ever found.
The last official cipher message that CSA President Jefferson Davis sent,written in the Vigenere code, dated April 24,1865,to his personel secretary,Burton Harrison (a Yale SKULL & BONES member):"The hostile government reject the propossed settlement,and order active operations to be resumed in forty-eight hours from noon today".
A curious coincidence,the "key"words needed to decipher this communication were"Come Retribution".
Jules Verne paid homage to this submarine in his 1870 "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" when a "sea monster",the submarine" is pursued the the USS Abraham Lincoln,and in his 1874,"The Mysterious Island",where Union prisoners at Richmond's Libby Prison escape by way of a Confederate balloon and land on the island home of Capt Nemo and his Nautilus.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

As the CONFEDERATE WAR ended (FOUR days in Lynchburg, Va. as VIRGINIA State Capital), PF was PROBABLY utilized to melt GOLD coins to GOLD Bars, & SILVER coins/jewelry to SILVER Bars. EASY to transport, EASY with NO identification. Several ex-CSA soldiers (including Generals) lived in Lynchburg, Va. area after the CONFEDERATE WAR; quite WEALTHY; too!

OP
OP
The Enigmatist

The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
Many historical problems with narrative of TBP. The biggest is probably the timing. The Santa Fe Trail wasn't established until 1821. Not that a trail didn't exist but once an American crossed the Arkansas into Mexico (or Spain), they would have been big news to the local alcalde who would have hit them up for tariffs and fees. An American presence that large and that early would have been noted by someone. Additionally, if the point of the party was to hunt buffalo, they would have encountered massive herds by the time they passed Pawnee Rock in what is now Kansas. No need to have gone another 800 miles to Santa Fe.

OP
OP
The Enigmatist

The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
Another interesting tidbit is the spelling of the word "connection" as "connexion". Its not entirely unheard of...but the spelling is exceedingly rare in the US- even in the 1800s. This a British/Canadian spelling. It was used in the US, but when one finds it its almost always used in context with the legal or governmental field. It suggests whomever wrote the Papers was educated.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Anyone melting gold coins into gold bars or silver coins & jewelry into silver bars is nutty as a fruit cake.

LOL! Finding SOME of those GOLD/SILVER Bars in Roanoke County, Va. WOULD be NICE, tho; Eh...?

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many historical problems with narrative of TBP. The biggest is probably the timing. The Santa Fe Trail wasn't established until 1821. Not that a trail didn't exist but once an American crossed the Arkansas into Mexico (or Spain), they would have been big news to the local alcalde who would have hit them up for tariffs and fees. An American presence that large and that early would have been noted by someone. Additionally, if the point of the party was to hunt buffalo, they would have encountered massive herds by the time they passed Pawnee Rock in what is now Kansas. No need to have gone another 800 miles to Santa Fe.

There were "a lot" of Americans, French, etc., moving in and out that territory west of the Louisiana purchase long before 1821, especially in the southwest. In 1818 at least one Government official traveled into this same region to meet with known privateers, revolutionaries, and exiled French military personal from the Bonaparte campaigns, and this was quite a distance west of what was the agreed "Neutral zone" between Spain and the U.S. Leading up to this agreement there were many, many traders and trappers, etc., that ventured into the region as well. Spain wasn't ignorant to some of this but they certainly didn't have the means in place to constantly police even a fraction of the entire territory in question. British agents were even in and out of the region as well.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been lots of gold mined in this world since the beginning of time. You must remember the KGC has the Knight's Templar's 144 treasures. At the end of the Civil War there were over 3 million members of the KGC. How many of these were businessmen, bankers and the rich elite as well as politicians--------well you can get the picture.

So, the KGC IS the south? Or they are just all the rich all over the world who control everything? If both of these are true, somehow, then the south controls the entire world and always has? Between this thread and the other one you're sort of contradicting yourself, aren't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread