The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
True Location of Buford's Tavern

95% of the info I have on the location for Buford's Tavern is that its still standing. Its the two-story brick home, south side of the Lynchburg-Salem Pike, and just west of the tanks.

There are however a few people (whom I respect), who say the original location burned down and all that's left is a chimney.

Which is true... and if the latter is true...where is this chimney located?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You are confusing three different locations of Buford's Tavern. The brick building owned by the Howell Family sits along side US 460 on the right as you enter Montvale going East towards Lynchburg from Roanoke. This brick building was built by Paschal Buford in 1822 after his father Henry died. The old tavern that TJB would have visited is located immediately behing the brick building. The old chimney still stands and the Buford Cemetery is across the left fork of Goose Creek. Now before TJB came to Buford's. The Buford's had a tavern further up towards Buford's Gap near where the Spring Pipe is still beside the road. This was on the old Indian Trail Road. It crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains toward Obenchain's Tavern. Good luck.

ALL correct; what IS still standing is Buford's old home-place, LOCUST LEVEL... it is now an "antique" shop & haunted.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The old tavern that Henry willed to his son Paschal burned or was torn down by Paschal some time between 1814 when Henry died and 1822 when Paschal built the new Federal building style tavern that now stands. The oldest tavern owned by the Buford's near Buford's Gap is most likely the tavern that burned. It was located between US 460 and the railroad that went through there in 1852. This most likely was the home of the six Buford brothers but it could have belonged only to Henry Buford. Paschal Buford was an uncle to Rebel General Basil Duke therefor he was kin to all of the players that hid the confederate gold.

Will look for "on-line" pics/info of "interest" regarding Buford's; BBL. "Father" Henry Buford died in 1815, I think; his son Paschal took over owner-ship at age 21, I think. Paschal Buford was a VET of the War of 1812, in the Artillery or something; he was 19 or so...?
Staying in the French Quarter of New Orleans; PROBABLY knew Jean Lafitte... Thomas Beale, Sr., etc. His "Head-stone" has crossed Artillery Barrels... does "X" mark the "SPOT"...?

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BACK! Great info, franklin... MORE R & I for y'all; "google" Locust Level of Bedford County, Va. & focus on Bufords of Bedford County, Va. - Buford Families... INFO, PICS! HH!

OP
OP
The Enigmatist

The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin- Let me ask you this...was Pascal a Freemason...and if so, can you be specific? Do you know how far he got in degrees, what (if any) side degrees he obtained etc?

OP
OP
The Enigmatist

The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin - when you say the "new Federal building that now stands"...what do you mean? Where is this?

OP
OP
The Enigmatist

The Enigmatist

Feb 9, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin - when you say the "new Federal building that now stands"...what do you mean? Where is this?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The new tavern Paschal Buford built in 1822 is along the right side of East US 460 as you enter Montvale going from Roanoke towards Lynchburg. The building is not a Federal Building it is a Federal Style Building. Paschal was the Sheriff of Bedford County also a surveyor and most surveyors are freemasons but I do not have any records on him being a mason.

Nor I...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HOWEVER! PB could have been in the Cryptic Rite Council, which was NOT a part of Freemasonry, then. It was a FRENCH "detached" Order that dealt with a VAULT, and a SECRET object! The Council is NOW part of Royal Arch Freemasonry, and NOT a separate part in Virginia nor West Virginia; I have NO proof that PB was "active" in the Council, tho. Just "google" Cryptic Rite Council... Good Luck! HH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread