As the story was written....."the source"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
True, via the HART PAPERS; Hazlewood was SGT. N. Hazlewood from the CONFEDERATE WAR... Clayton Hart (brother of George Hart) was the one that Hazlewood requested that copies be made of FIGURES (not numbers...?) on 3 pages or so, which Clayton Hart did... BUT! Clayton requested permission to change some figures slightly; it was about a treasure buried near Hazlewood's home at the Peaks of Otter or something... he DID make the changes. The Hart Bros interviewed J. B. Ward & son about the Beale Papers; Hart Bros. became "Beale Treasure" hunters & GEORGE Hart later wrote the HART PAPERS. ANYWAY... CARRY ON!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where the thirty men were from, when they left and where most of them lived that went along.

That may be true if you can prove that. However, if you are counting on a completed cipher you need to be aware that with so many repeated codes and with enough shuffling you could fit thirty names from nearly place into that cipher provided there were enough codes. Problem is, these ciphers are never 100% complete or they require a few changes in the codes in order to make them work, which in either case presents a false solution. Just some FYI to consider. This is why one needs the key in order to turn the clear text into an accurate solution. Whoever coded that cipher was aware of this because the spelling of many names do follow the correct use of the alphabet, i.e., McDonald, Morriss, ect., just to reference a couple of examples. Add to this that names often maintain different nationalities and different alphabet arrangements and usage. This is why C3 didn't require a large range of codes because without the correct key or a correct list of names in perfect order you are screwed.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not get their names out of the cypher codes------I found their names and their party in an old newspaper.

You found the "Thomas Beale" party in an old newspaper? Good for you! You need to contact Tat now because without even hearing their names I'm betting he can tell you who recruited them and where they were really going, and why. :thumbsup:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You found the "Thomas Beale" party in an old newspaper? Good for you! You need to contact Tat now because without even hearing their names I'm betting he can tell you who recruited them and where they were really going, and why. :thumbsup:

LOL!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funny, yes. But maybe not quite like you think. Tat has some pretty good stuff about some people in Bedford county during the period in question that's he's still putting together that might just seal the deal when he's all through. :thumbsup: Apparently, there's a lot the locals either don't know about or they just haven't been saying. I can't imagine PV missed this stuff but apparently he did.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Funny, yes. But maybe not quite like you think. Tat has some pretty good stuff about some people in Bedford county during the period in question that's he's still putting together that might just seal the deal when he's all through. :thumbsup: Apparently, there's a lot the locals either don't know about or they just haven't been saying. I can't imagine PV missed this stuff but apparently he did.

We will "see"... once I get info, will check with Jones Memorial Library in Lynchburg, Va. (where I am...) & Bedford City/County HISTORICAL society/museum & Bedford Library REFERENCE Section; (30 minutes away...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go way out on a limb here...."As of today I am 100% certain the Beale Pamphlet wasn't just another fiction story or dime novel. Whoever wrote it had quite a bit of knowledge in regards to the era in he wrote about, what he wrote about, and the people he referenced and wrote about."

Now having said that, I'm not implying that all of the details concerning the adventure were true.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will "see"... once I get info, will check with Jones Memorial Library in Lynchburg, Va. (where I am...) & Bedford City/County HISTORICAL society/museum & Bedford Library REFERENCE Section; (30 minutes away...)

Something you may know or can possibly get info on.......Morriss, Buford, Risque, Beale,.....were any of them slave owners?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to go way out on a limb here...."As of today I am 100% certain the Beale Pamphlet wasn't just another fiction story or dime novel. Whoever wrote it had quite a bit of knowledge in regards to the era in he wrote about, what he wrote about, and the people he referenced and wrote about."

Now having said that, I'm not implying that all of the details concerning the adventure were true.
So it was a historical fiction novel with a cipher and treasure hunt thrown in to boost sales-"people,plaves,and names used in a fictional way to enhance the story that was being sold in a very local market.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it was a historical fiction novel with a cipher and treasure hunt thrown in to boost sales-"people,plaves,and names used in a fictional way to enhance the story that was being sold in a very local market.

No. Not even close. The Bealle Pamphlet is closely shadowing/echoing real events in the era that only an involved party could have knowledge of. The biggest mistake that researchers have made is in assuming that the Beale Pamphlet was a tale of treasure, when in fact it was about everything else leading up to it. In 1885 there were still people living in the region who would of had first hand knowledge about many things we're not likely to even considered today. Life was much different back then (1817-1822), the issues at hand were much different then those of today. The unknown author of that pamphlet went to great lengths in detailing the story in the manner in which he did. But there is still a lot to be worked out and so we are trying.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slavery, in itself, was not the issue. However, the issue of slavery served as a springboard for many of the involved parties during the era. Slavery = $$$$$ and for many in the south slavery was an all-inspiring economic concern. The issue of slavery often determined one's entire political stand and personal and financial motivations. "The flame is worth the candle." During the period in question what was the hottest flame? What candle was burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread