Word Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just changed a little of the wording.

"The reasons which influenced him in selecting me for the blind trust, he gave, and were in substance as follows: First: Friendship for myself and family, whom he would benefit if he could. Second: The knowledge that I was young and in a profession for the task imposed; and finally, a confidence that I would regard his instructions as a client privilege, and carry out my legal duties according to his wishes. These, and perhaps others, he gave during our frequent conversations upon the subject, and doubtless believed he was conferring a legal favor which would redound greatly to my advantage. That it has proved otherwise is a misfortune to me, but no fault of his. The conditions alluded to above were that I should devote as much time as was practicable to the papers he had given me; master, if possible, their contents, and if successful in deciphering their meaning and eventually finding the trust, to appropriate one-half of his documented share as a fee for my services; the other half to be distributed to certain relatives and connexions of his own, whose names he gave me; the remainder to be held by me in legal trust for the benefit of such legal claimants as might at any time appear, and be able to authenticate their claims upon the trust. This latter amount, to be left intact, subject to such demands, for the space of twenty years, when, if still unclaimed, it should revert to myself or my heirs, as payment for my extended legal services."

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I just changed a little of the wording.

"The reasons which influenced him in selecting me for the blind trust, he gave, and were in substance as follows: First: Friendship for myself and family, whom he would benefit if he could. Second: The knowledge that I was young and in a profession for the task imposed; and finally, a confidence that I would regard his instructions as a client privilege, and carry out my legal duties according to his wishes. These, and perhaps others, he gave during our frequent conversations upon the subject, and doubtless believed he was conferring a legal favor which would redound greatly to my advantage. That it has proved otherwise is a misfortune to me, but no fault of his. The conditions alluded to above were that I should devote as much time as was practicable to the papers he had given me; master, if possible, their contents, and if successful in deciphering their meaning and eventually finding the trust, to appropriate one-half of his documented share as a fee for my services; the other half to be distributed to certain relatives and connexions of his own, whose names he gave me; the remainder to be held by me in legal trust for the benefit of such legal claimants as might at any time appear, and be able to authenticate their claims upon the trust. This latter amount, to be left intact, subject to such demands, for the space of twenty years, when, if still unclaimed, it should revert to myself or my heirs, as payment for my extended legal services."

AND...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It just seems to me to be the description of an existing "trust". i.e., "lawyer talk".

I DO see the "Retainer"... "for LEGAL services" Legal-ese. Giles Ward (JB Ward's father) was a lawyer; MANY were lawyers, & SOME just had TRAINING in LAW, NEVER becoming Lawyers. James Beverly Risque was a Lawyer from Fincastle/Lynchburg/Campbell County, Va., who was "into" REAL ESTATE; buying up land in/around Fincastle, Va./Lynchburg/Campbell County, Va. OTHERS were Gen. Jubal Early, post-CONFEDERATE WAR in Lynchburg, Va., as well as OTHERS.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Another indicator that relates back to the Risqué extended family

YEP! Maj. EF Hutter had Vattel's LAW of NATIONS (SECRET CSA Book); which he gave to his son-in-law... Attorney Gibbs, here in Lynchburg, Va. Hutter is descended from JB Risque, as is JB Ward. Ward's father (Gile Ward), was ALSO an attorney... AND! SON-in-law of JB Risque!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread