Stephen Girard & the Opium Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Silver

Back in the day it was part of the Virgina colonies. Kentucky also has a strange political history that plays something of a role in the differences explained. For instance, trade from New Orleans was prohibited, and at one time General Wilkinson thought Kentucky should cede to Spanish control, or something to that nature, but his suggestion was put down. Also, there was great political divide that existed in early Virgina that you might want to explore.

The whole of the state was once Kentucky County, Virginia. But Kentucky became it's own state in 1792.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedford County was not that large back in the day, but Botetourt County included all of the State of Kentucky.

Point being....you have to look at Virgina back in the day, not the present. With all of the other connections having been made there's no doubting which Beale was being referenced, or why.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole of the state was once Kentucky County, Virginia. But Kentucky became it's own state in 1792.

I included Wilkinson in my post for a reason as this was the same man who negotiated the neutral ground agreement with Spanish authorities in regards to the disputed territory of the Louisiana Purchase/Texas border. In short, neither the US or Spain had authority over the region. But don't get this confused with the ongoing dispute over Texas as the two were not the same issue.

O

Old Silver

In my pamphlet on the Beale Treasure I published in 1990, I have a deed of land sale from your TJB to Charlotte Atwell when he moved from Virginia to Kentucky. He is not the right TJB. I know where his home place was located on the South Fork of the Cumberland River. Check his age.

Peter Viemeister seemed to think those two were different Thomas Beales.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is all going to lead up to the deposits and the need for a mutually agreed third party, and I realize it's also throwing a lot at you at once, but just keep all of the previously eluded to political games in mind when you consider this next trinket.....

The original Vine & Olive Colony grant was approved in 1817 with a 14 year term, or concluding in 1831. This is one year prior to the critical Convention of 1832. Now then, was this Vine & Olive Colony timeline by coincidence or by design? No doubt in my mind it was by design.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no doubting which Thomas Beale was the pamphlet's Thomas Beale. To doubt this is to doubt it in writing.

O

Old Silver

Birth:unknown
Death:Jan., 1841
trans.gif
Burial:
Old Protestant Cemetery
Macau
Concelho de Macau, Macau

Cemetery notes and/or description:
The Old Protestant Cemetery was founded in 1821 after the British East India Company purchased a plot of land to address a need for Protestants to be buried within the Catholic Portuguese colony of Macau. Robert Morrison, who is buried here, was instrumental in lobbying for the cemetery's purchase. Prior to 1821, Protestants had to bury their dead secretly in the no-man's-land between Macau and China, neither of which was willing to allow such burials in their territories. A number of graves were relocated from outside the Macau walls into the cemetery. The cemetery accepted burials until 1858, when another cemetery, the New Protestant Cemetery, was opened.

Thomas Beale ( - 1841) - Find A Grave Memorial

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Western part "of the state" (Virginia) is Botetourt County (Fincastle, Va.), where "Beale's Rifles" (TB, Sr.) was from for Battle of New Orleans (War of 1812); Co. A - Blue Ridge Rifles or Co. I - Mountain Rifles. BTW, Roanoke, Va. was known as BIG LICK, Va. "in those days

If it works; MAY be interesting info; "google" Botetourt County, Virginia/learn/Family Search.org. Hmmm... Blue Ridge Rifles & Mountain Rifles were REBS of the 28th Infantry; Botetourt County, Va.

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

If it works; MAY be interesting info; "google" Botetourt County, Virginia/learn/Family Search.org.

The reason we're saying Saltlick Creek (KY) is because that's where Peter Veimeister said a Thomas Beale bought a large tract of land (almost a thousand acres) in 1819. He said this Thomas Beale gave his home address as Maco, China.

O

Old Silver

The reason we're saying Saltlick Creek (KY) is because that's where Peter Veimeister said a Thomas Beale bought a large tract of land (almost a thousand acres) in 1819. He said this Thomas Beale gave his home address as Maco, China.

I'm sorry, it was almost 10,000 acres Thomas Beal bought, not almost 1,000 acres.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

I DO remember that...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YET! MORE R & I (Research & Investigation) for ya... according to NEW ORLEANS ARCHITECTURE: JEFFERSON City, pg 41-45; TB, Sr. died in New Orleans area (Rickerville) in 1820; his son, TB, "Jr" was illegitimate (mother was Cloe Delancy) & also died in New Orleans area (Rickerville) in 1823. They had the BEALE PLANTATION in that area... etc, etc. "Google" New Orleans Architecture: Jefferson City, pg 41-45. HH!

O

Old Silver

Thomas Chay Beale

Birth:

Dec. 13, 1805
Death:
Nov. 8, 1857
trans.gif

Thomas Chaye was a cousin of opium trader and merchant Daniel Beale and his brother Thomas Beale. As early as 1826 he was a partner in the trading firm of Magniac & Co. in Canton, China. In the 1830s he left Magniacs and operated on his own until 1845 when he established the Shanghai based agency house of Dent, Beale & Co. with Lancelot Dent. By 1851 Beale was Portuguese Consul and Dutch Vice Counsel in the city.
Burial:
Shantung Road Cemetery
Shanghai
Shanghai Municipality, China

Created by: S Rohrbeck
Record added: Dec 02, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 81407647

Thomas Chay Beale (1805 - 1857) - Find A Grave Memorial

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YET! MORE R & I (Research & Investigation) for ya... according to NEW ORLEANS ARCHITECTURE: JEFFERSON City, pg 41-45; TB, Sr. died in New Orleans area (Rickerville) in 1820; his son, TB, "Jr" was illegitimate (mother was Cloe Delancy) & also died in New Orleans area (Rickerville) in 1823. They had the BEALE PLANTATION in that area... etc, etc. "Google" New Orleans Architecture: Jefferson City, pg 41-45. HH!

Fits "story" better; knew that "Sr." went to New Orleans after duel with JB Risque...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"IF" you wish to keep trying to fit Beale Sr. into the story then you need to determine if he was related, in some way, to your Salt Lick Beale. The problem with thinking that Beale Sr. is your guy is the simple fact that nobody in the area knew him during his visits to Morriss. If Beale Sr. was you man then his identity would have easily been known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread