Conflicting info.

O

Old Silver

In an 1893 Roanoke newspaper, there is an account of the Beale story. But there are a couple of differences from what we read elsewhere.

For one, the newspaper writer says that the coded papers in the iron box were marked "1," "2," and "3," when Morriss broke into it. The teller of the original Beale story said it was HE who numbered the papers, according to their length.

Also, instead of the treasure being buried about 4 miles from Buford's, the newspaper article says, about 14 miles from Buford's. Were these simply typos, or has something in the Beale papers been changed?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In an 1893 Roanoke newspaper, there is an account of the Beale story. But there are a couple of differences from what we read elsewhere.

For one, the newspaper writer says that the coded papers in the iron box were marked "1," "2," and "3," when Morriss broke into it. The teller of the original Beale story said it was HE who numbered the papers, according to their length.

Also, instead of the treasure being buried about 4 miles from Buford's, the newspaper article says, about 14 miles from Buford's. Were these simply typos, or has something in the Beale papers been changed?

Can you scan that account for here...?

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Roanoke times.jpg

Beal1.jpg

Beale2.jpg

Beale3.jpg

Beale4.jpg

Beale5.jpg

Beale6.jpg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Additional info is provided in this account; AND! 14 miles from Buford... WEST would be roughly Roanoke County. 14 miles EAST, into Bedford County, would be about where LIBERTY, Va. was & where Bedford Town is, today; I HAVE something of interest along Goose Creek, SOUTH, there; franklin knows EXACTLY where this is, b/c I took him there. PRIVATE land, guarded by a CULT... almost like modern-day Sentinels.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Actually, the Beale papers themselves say the coded papers were numbered. I hadn't read them for a while, so I didn't remember that. So, why were they changed?

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

It seems the guy who changed the papers was the unknown author. After stating that the papers were numbered when Morriss took them out of the iron box, he said that when he (the author) received them, he arranged them in order of their length and NUMBERED THEM. It sounds like he changed the way they had been numbered. But then he says he failed in that endeavor. Therefore, there is no mystery in the numbering by the author. It was just an experiment that didn't produce any good results. So the plaintext mentioning paper "number 3 herewith" has confused a lot of people, because they think the numbering was done by the unknown author. It seems that after his failure at numbering the papers according to their length, the author reverted back to the way they were numbered out of the box. No big mystery there. The only question is, did the author change anything else?

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

It seems the guy who changed the papers was the unknown author. After stating that the papers were numbered when Morriss took them out of the iron box, he said that when he (the author) received them, he arranged them in order of their length and NUMBERED THEM. It sounds like he changed the way they had been numbered. But then he says he failed in that endeavor. Therefore, there is no mystery in the numbering by the author. It was just an experiment that didn't produce any good results. So the plaintext mentioning paper "number 3 herewith" has confused a lot of people, because they think the numbering was done by the unknown author. It seems that after his failure at numbering the papers according to their length, the author reverted back to the way they were numbered out of the box. No big mystery there. The only question is, did the author change anything else?

The author states:

"All of this I did in the course of time, but failed so completely, that my hopes of solving the mystery were well nigh abandoned. My thoughts, however, were constantly upon it, and the figures in each paper, in their regular order, were fixed in my memory."

Yep, I think he reverted back to the original numbered order.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ciphers, unless you know how they are constructed and what information they possibly contain efforts to decode them without the correctkey are pretty fruitless, even with super computers. Computers can only do what they are told, or programed to do. The number of codes x the number of possible language orders makes these simple coded messages pretty safe to the totally uninformed. While most analyst believe the ciphers are pretty pointless, many of them do believe that they likely contain a clear text of some type. So maybe the author did make changes but it probably wasn't required as they're pretty safe just as they are unless the decoder has the key, a portion of it, or some insight as to what he's looking for within the clear text.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Ciphers, unless you know how they are constructed and what information they possibly contain efforts to decode them without the correctkey are pretty fruitless, even with super computers. Computers can only do what they are told, or programed to do. The number of codes x the number of possible language orders makes these simple coded messages pretty safe to the totally uninformed. While most analyst believe the ciphers are pretty pointless, many of them do believe that they likely contain a clear text of some type. So maybe the author did make changes but it probably wasn't required as they're pretty safe just as they are unless the decoder has the key, a portion of it, or some insight as to what he's looking for within the clear text.

AGREE!

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

So maybe the author did make changes but it probably wasn't required as they're pretty safe just as they are unless the decoder has the key, a portion of it, or some insight as to what he's looking for within the clear text.

That's one of the reasons for bringing this up. The possibilities are seemingly endless. Also, it puts to rest, at least for me, the so called discrepancy of the author knowing which paper was "number 3 herewith."
I wonder too if the distance from Bufords have been changed, say from 14 miles to 4 miles. We may never know.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That's one of the reasons for bringing this up. The possibilities are seemingly endless. Also, it puts to rest, at least for me, the so called discrepancy of the author knowing which paper was "number 3 herewith."
I wonder too if the distance from Bufords have been changed, say from 14 miles to 4 miles. We may never know.

The ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS said "4 miles from Buford's"; NEWSPAPER said 14 miles from Buford's. I would "go with" ORIGINAL Beale Papers...

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

The ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS said "4 miles from Buford's"; NEWSPAPER said 14 miles from Buford's. I would "go with" ORIGINAL Beale Papers...

Well, we don't exactly have the original. That's the point.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, we don't exactly have the original. That's the point.

THAT is true; ALSO, WHAT did the PRINTERS utilize to set Print-types for printing of the Beale PAPERS; PROBABLY not the original letters, etc. Here is what is interesting to me; Newton Hazlewood (1st Lt., CSA), as Clerk for the RR Company out of Roanoke, Va. (Big Lick) requested that CLAYTON Hart make copies of 3 sheets of "figures" (numbers...?) in the HART PAPERS by George L. Hart, Sr. Hazlewood stated the sheets of paper were for a Treasure buried near his home in Montvale/Peaks of Otter "area"... it is almost like a "story" had to be "written" around THAT... Beale PAPERS...? SO! We have 3 sheets of "figures", made in duplicates by Clayton Hart... HE requested permission to change the "figures"/numbers
SLIGHTLY, and did so. The "Medium" section in the "HP" seem to indicate the PATH to the buried treasure, which one may be able to "follow", if you know the "area".

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

THAT is true; ALSO, WHAT did the PRINTERS utilize to set Print-types for printing of the Beale PAPERS; PROBABLY not the original letters, etc. Here is what is interesting to me; Newton Hazlewood (1st Lt., CSA), as Clerk for the RR Company out of Roanoke, Va. (Big Lick) requested that CLAYTON Hart make copies of 3 sheets of "figures" (numbers...?) in the HART PAPERS by George L. Hart, Sr. Hazlewood stated the sheets of paper were for a Treasure buried near his home in Montvale/Peaks of Otter "area"... it is almost like a "story" had to be "written" around THAT... Beale PAPERS...? SO! We have 3 sheets of "figures", made in duplicates by Clayton Hart... HE requested permission to change the "figures"/numbers
SLIGHTLY, and did so. The "Medium" section in the "HP" seem to indicate the PATH to the buried treasure, which one may be able to "follow", if you know the "area".

The author said that copies were made, and great pains were taken to make sure no mistakes were made. He is the one who had Ward print it. I don't know what all, if anything, might have been changed, or who might have known, but some things about it seems strange.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The newspaper said the Beale party found gold/silver in New Mexico and transported "pure
gold" which is a distortion of the original fabrication.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread