LETTERS written by TJB to RM, in the Beale PAPERS

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel, names were many times spelled differently, as we see in this case. This exists in my own family.

Robert Morris/s of the Beale story was a half nephew of the Robert Morris from Philadelphia (financier).

Mine, too... BOWLING from BOLLING; descendant from Pocahontas/her father, POWHATAN... GREAT CHIEF!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANYWAY, back to local history/FACTS in Lynchburg, Va. HISTORY: FIRST brick HOTEL built in town, here... was the FRANKLIN HOTEL, built by Samuel Harrison in 1817... SO! Either Thomas. J. Beale stayed there in 1819/1822... OR!
He DID "board" with Robert MORRIS (former Mayor of Lynchburg, Va.) in his HUGE home, he had with his wife, Sarah.

BTW, Samuel Harrison's brick hotel was "done" by a Mr. Brown... who later did work for Thomas Jefferson at the Academical Village in Charlottesville, Va. (later to become University of Virginia), and Poplar Forest.
DYK...? TJ also was considering Lynchburg, Va. for his Academical Village (UVA)...? BUT! Decided on it being near his home... Monticello! (1819) And Court-House Square was in Ch'viile, where he did his "lawyering"...

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

THANKS, I am looking for MORE info on Robert MORRIS, former Mayor of Lynchburg, Va.; got more info on him...?

No. You haven't found his grave? Looks like a former Mayor would have a known gravesite.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I agree... but! NOPE!

YET! franklin may found something from years, ago... Robert & Sarah MORRIS' parents were buried in Ketoctin Baptist Church Cemetery near Maryland; something about being from Charles City County in Md. Robert & Sarah had a daughter, Hannah Anna; was that Mayor Robert MORRIS of Lynchburg, Va. & his family...? Dunno. STILL looking...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Facts & ONLY the FACTS: franklin also found info about Sarah Mitchell & Robert MORRIS, years ago... AND! I appreciate his "on-the-ground" R & I in Rustburg, VIRGINIA (Campbell County, VIRGINIA)... " Sarah Mitchell was born in 1778 in Bedford County, VIRGINIA.... Robert MORRIS was from Maryland, and Sarah Mitchell's parents were from Baltimore, Md. Will now do Sarah Mitchell MORRIS Find-A-Grave... NOTHING!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Gonna go back to the letters of TJB to RM... use CSA Confederate Disk (from CSA SIGNAL SERVICES... S.S.); see if I can "decode" 'em... gonna be FUN! Will need BIG pot of JAVA!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ALSO... looking at Mexican Army Cipher Disks; has NUMBERS & Letters! ACA Homophonic Cipher! Simple Subsitution Cipher.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
FIRST: reviewing COPY of ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS, provided by Peter Viemeister in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE: New History of a Mystery, Chapter 3, pg. 22-44. This copy was PROBABLY "loaned" by a descendant of J.B. Ward, F.C. Hutter, or G. Hart...
Adeline Ward McVeigh by way of the Walker family?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Adeline Ward McVeigh by way of the Walker family?

ECS, my fathers great aunt married a McVeigh, and his family came from
botetourt county,va to summers county, wva just after the civil war
ive often wondered if someone ever does break the names code, what would
happen then, as there are most prob living heirs, and i have family that came
from 3 counties surrounding bedford, maybe i should file a claim just in case
mine are on/in the code list, LOL

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS I may be wrong but it seems Celeste Grandpre Beale was related to the Walker Family. I know she had lots of kin in Lynchburg, Virginia.

There are several "interesting" and potential connections here as we follow these limbs back to the Otey/Buford lineage. As we research these various families Tat and I came in agreement that it appeared as if there may have been some measure of divide in these families during this earlier period though we never could quite nail that divide down to anything specific. :dontknow:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS, my fathers great aunt married a McVeigh, and his family came from
botetourt county,va to summers county, wva just after the civil war
ive often wondered if someone ever does break the names code, what would
happen then, as there are most prob living heirs, and i have family that came
from 3 counties surrounding bedford, maybe i should file a claim just in case
mine are on/in the code list, LOL
Adeline Ward McVeigh was the daughter of James Beverly Ward, who copyrighted and published the 1885 Beale Papers in Lynchburg, Virginia. As "agent" for the author, Ward would not be listed in C3. On the other hand, his daughter stated in a 1934 newspaper interview that her father was the author of the Beale Papers.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several "interesting" and potential connections here as we follow these limbs back to the Otey/Buford lineage. As we research these various families Tat and I came in agreement that it appeared as if there may have been some measure of divide in these families during this earlier period though we never could quite nail that divide down to anything specific. :dontknow:
Also in the lineage are members of that extended James Beverly Risqué bloodline, the man who fought a duel with Thomas Beale, causing Beale to leave Virginia.
Other names in that bloodline are Hutter, Hancock, Ward, Kennerly, and Early.William Clark of Lewis & Clark can also be included by his marriage to Julia Hancock, of whom the duel was fought.
Many of the events and locations in the 1885 Beale Papers parallel the events and locations of members of this extended family bloodline.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Adeline Ward McVeigh was the daughter of James Beverly Ward, who copyrighted and published the 1885 Beale Papers in Lynchburg, Virginia. As "agent" for the author, Ward would not be listed in C3. On the other hand, his daughter stated in a 1934 newspaper interview that her father was the author of the Beale Papers.

my great great grandad on my mothers side, his 1st wife was virginia illene ward
may have middle name spelled wrong they had 1 child male, that male child had 4 daughters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread