Why The Author Published The Beale Pamphlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, given the recent questions in regards to this issue, that this subject requires its own thread.

Now before you guys stone me to death over the theory that I'm about to present let me explain that to fully understand this theory it requires that you have some hands on at actually working with ciphers and the decoding process. But even if you don't you should be able to grasp the general idea and direction of the following explanation. So here's what I think in regards to this subject, this after having analyzed and played with these ciphers, and the story, for a number of years. Be forewarned, this explanation requires a bit of space and reading.

Part of the process in trying to figure out why the pamphlet may have been written also involves analyzing the ciphers to see how they may have been constructed. Here's what is looked for.

If we assume that ciphers needed to be simple enough for Morriss to “easily decode” with the proper key then we know these ciphers aren't going to be constructed in complicated fashion. There is further evidence of this when the author suggest to Morriss that he may, at some point in the future, select someone of his own choosing to carry the task if he were unable. So it's pretty clear that the ciphers are not of a complicated construction, C2 being simple substitution, as are likely the remaining two.

Given this, one thing you look for in the construction of these three ciphers is a sign that the coding method has changed, which this evidence clearly exist in C1 with the introduction of nineteen four digit codes. C3 has no four digit codes and C2 only utilized one, this being 1000 which was used as a substitution for the letter “X” because there were no words in the correct copy of the DIO that began with X. But in C1 we suddenly see nineteen four digit codes. This is a sure sign that the coding process, while still likely of the simplest means, has changed.

In sharp contrast we also see a smaller range of codes and more repeat codes being used in C3, this being another sign that greater care and an extra layer of protection has been incorporated in C1. Now then, keep all of this in mind.

In the Beale Pamphlet our unknown author tells us, in clear use of the English language that he has already decoded all three of the ciphers. He does then when he remarks, that after discovering the meaning of cipher two he had, “no difficulty in mastering the others.” But then he goes on to say this apparent success proved, “an illusion.” So if he had already decoded all three ciphers with the correct copy of the Declaration of Independence, or key, then what more could he possibly require?

Later in the pamphlet, as he is explaining his hope that the publishing of the papers will eventually bring about, he says that he hopes his publishing the story will bring about the, “unintelligible writing” and thestill required “piece of paper.” Clearly he is not referring to the key as he has already decoded all three ciphers. So what then is he still lacking?

According to Beale the iron box contained everything Morriss would need accept the key in the event that his services were ever required, the key arriving to him at that time. So if the iron box contained everything needed once the key was received then why were there other pieces of paper in the iron box, such as old receipts? Well, the following is the likely answer to that question.

Remember those nineteen four digit codes in C1? As was common practice in the day and even applied clear into the Civil War, four digit codes were often added into ciphers, these codes representing entire words instead of letters. All that was required for coder and decoder to share the meaning of these critical words was the exact same keyword list, this possibly being anything from a simple list of four digit codes and words or even the numbers and words on an old receipt. In the end, even if your enemies discovered the ciphers and the key they still wouldn't know the meaning of those critical nineteen digit codes without the additional keyword list. Sometimes these four digit codes were even partial words like, ed, dis, less, ly, erd, ley, st, ect., etc., etc. They four digit codes could literally represent anything the coder desired as long as the expected decoder had the same keyword list, this also including names and entire words.

So, let's assume our unknown author had decoded all of the ciphers and he now held the names of the parties identified in C3, and let's further assume that those parties had originally lived in Lynchburg and Bedford county area. Now if you really wanted to find that critical piece of paper, or someone with knowledge of described events, where would you look? And if you wanted to do it under the radar how might you go about doing it? Well, you could hire someone to be the representing agent for a publication that pleads your circumstances, this putting a buffer between yourself and the public. And if Sherman and Ward were descendents of those involved and if you were likewise part of that same family, or very close to them, then all the better. Ward could simply say that he was only the agent and that he had no direct knowledge of the affair, all the while passing any information he might collect onto the unknown author, who still remains anonymous.

If this was the coding process employed then it would render the decoding efforts of C1 useless, yet with the correct copy of the key and the required keyword list the decoding process would remain very simple, even for someone who has never decoded a cipher before, this then allowing Morriss the freedom to pass the responsibility on to whoever he might choose at some later date.

So there you have it....my personal theory as to why the unknown author published the Beale pamphlet.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think, given the recent questions in regards to this issue, that this subject requires its own thread.

Now before you guys stone me to death over the theory that I'm about to present let me explain that to fully understand this theory it requires that you have some hands on at actually working with ciphers and the decoding process. But even if you don't you should be able to grasp the general idea and direction of the following explanation. So here's what I think in regards to this subject, this after having analyzed and played with these ciphers, and the story, for a number of years. Be forewarned, this explanation requires a bit of space and reading.

Part of the process in trying to figure out why the pamphlet may have been written also involves analyzing the ciphers to see how they may have been constructed. Here's what is looked for.

If we assume that ciphers needed to be simple enough for Morriss to “easily decode” with the proper key then we know these ciphers aren't going to be constructed in complicated fashion. There is further evidence of this when the author suggest to Morriss that he may, at some point in the future, select someone of his own choosing to carry the task if he were unable. So it's pretty clear that the ciphers are not of a complicated construction, C2 being simple substitution, as are likely the remaining two.

Given this, one thing you look for in the construction of these three ciphers is a sign that the coding method has changed, which this evidence clearly exist in C1 with the introduction of nineteen four digit codes. C3 has no four digit codes and C2 only utilized one, this being 1000 which was used as a substitution for the letter “X” because there were no words in the correct copy of the DIO that began with X. But in C1 we suddenly see nineteen four digit codes. This is a sure sign that the coding process, while still likely of the simplest means, has changed.

In sharp contrast we also see a smaller range of codes and more repeat codes being used in C3, this being another sign that greater care and an extra layer of protection has been incorporated in C1. Now then, keep all of this in mind.

In the Beale Pamphlet our unknown author tells us, in clear use of the English language that he has already decoded all three of the ciphers. He does then when he remarks, that after discovering the meaning of cipher two he had, “no difficulty in mastering the others.” But then he goes on to say this apparent success proved, “an illusion.” So if he had already decoded all three ciphers with the correct copy of the Declaration of Independence, or key, then what more could he possibly require?

Later in the pamphlet, as he is explaining his hope that the publishing of the papers will eventually bring about, he says that he hopes his publishing the story will bring about the, “unintelligible writing” and thestill required “piece of paper.” Clearly he is not referring to the key as he has already decoded all three ciphers. So what then is he still lacking?

According to Beale the iron box contained everything Morriss would need accept the key in the event that his services were ever required, the key arriving to him at that time. So if the iron box contained everything needed once the key was received then why were there other pieces of paper in the iron box, such as old receipts? Well, the following is the likely answer to that question.

Remember those nineteen four digit codes in C1? As was common practice in the day and even applied clear into the Civil War, four digit codes were often added into ciphers, these codes representing entire words instead of letters. All that was required for coder and decoder to share the meaning of these critical words was the exact same keyword list, this possibly being anything from a simple list of four digit codes and words or even the numbers and words on an old receipt. In the end, even if your enemies discovered the ciphers and the key they still wouldn't know the meaning of those critical nineteen digit codes without the additional keyword list. Sometimes these four digit codes were even partial words like, ed, dis, less, ly, erd, ley, st, ect., etc., etc. They four digit codes could literally represent anything the coder desired as long as the expected decoder had the same keyword list, this also including names and entire words.

So, let's assume our unknown author had decoded all of the ciphers and he now held the names of the parties identified in C3, and let's further assume that those parties had originally lived in Lynchburg and Bedford county area. Now if you really wanted to find that critical piece of paper, or someone with knowledge of described events, where would you look? And if you wanted to do it under the radar how might you go about doing it? Well, you could hire someone to be the representing agent for a publication that pleads your circumstances, this putting a buffer between yourself and the public. And if Sherman and Ward were descendents of those involved and if you were likewise part of that same family, or very close to them, then all the better. Ward could simply say that he was only the agent and that he had no direct knowledge of the affair, all the while passing any information he might collect onto the unknown author, who still remains anonymous.

If this was the coding process employed then it would render the decoding efforts of C1 useless, yet with the correct copy of the key and the required keyword list the decoding process would remain very simple, even for someone who has never decoded a cipher before, this then allowing Morriss the freedom to pass the responsibility on to whoever he might choose at some later date.

So there you have it....my personal theory as to why the unknown author published the Beale pamphlet.

Is that gonna be in your book...?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To further add to this theory;

The average length of a literary sentence is around fifteen words, C1 carries nineteen four digit codes. If the string 1164, 1496, 1817 is in reference to say, the name and date on a tombstone, then this reduces the potential literary length of the nineteen four digit codes to sixteen words.

So when we ask, "Why did the author write the pamphlet?"....there is a lot to be analyzed and evaluated in arriving at those possible reasons.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds like a very good theory to me, and It all seems to make sense. We have seen the substitution of a word for a number and symbol that were tied together also. Very good.

L.C.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a very good theory to me, and It all seems to make sense. We have seen the substitution of a word for a number and symbol that were tied together also. Very good.

L.C.:thumbsup:

L.C., while I am not a subscriber to any KGC involvement I will admit that the actual construction of the story and the ciphers may hold even more brilliance then I first expected.

First, I have often wondered about the other parties and how they were assured that their investment, or share, was in safe hands? I know I would be extremely nervous knowing that my money was hidden by someone else a thousands a miles or more away. So what assurances would I have that my money was safe? Beale even makes reference of this same concern when he tells Morriss that he held concern of an imposter possibly showing up. This got me to thinking a bit deeper on the elements within the story, and perhaps, another alternate reason for the construction of the ciphers. Let me attempt to explain more of this to you now with the following.

Below is a copy of the C3 cipher. The first thing we notice about this cipher is that it maintains a smaller range of codes and it also utilizes more repeated codes. If this is a simple substitution cipher, as it most likely is, then this cipher would be remedied very easily and quickly with the correct key. What this tells us is that the coder wanted this cipher to be easily decoded by the desired decoder. This is evident by his use of a smaller range and so much repeated code.

Basically, what is possible in all of this, if not likely, is that once the intended decoder accessed the clear text for cipher number 1 then the coder wanted to make certain that decoder could easily access the clear text for cipher three. C2 & C3 contain the same general elements of construction, however, due to the nineteen four digit codes in its design C1 is clearly of different construction. And, in a twist of strategy, this difference in the construction of C1 and C3 might actually offer us an advantage in trying to decode them without a key. Allow me to explain.

Let's say that I have hidden a boatload of money somewhere that I decided to protect just as Beale had done in his arrangement with Morriss. One thing I would be required to do is to make those ciphers simple enough for Morriss if his services were ever called into play. I wouldn't want a system that was so complicated that it could cause him or his chosen predecessor too much challenge. Remember, if Morriss was to be called into play then we need him to act on our behalf and we need to make that charge as easy for him as possible. If something unforeseen would arise to cause us to bring Morriss into play then we are truly counting on his representation at that time. So we need him to be able to react on our behalf quickly and easily.

Going back to C1 and the extra layer of protection that likely possesses, perhaps this provides even a safer measure of protection then we first assume. Let me pose the possibility that all of the parties in C3 possessed the same identical keyword list. By arranging things in this manner Morriss, or anyone else for that matter, would never know the meaning of those critical nineteen digit codes unless he made contact with at least one of the parties in C3. This would absolutely insure that the decoder, if not Morriss, was indeed a desired associate. This would eliminate any possibility that the critical information would fall into the wrong hands without the alarm clearly sounding. So if all of this was indeed the intended purpose behind the actual construction of the ciphers then it was quite brilliant, extremely safe, and virtually foolproof.

So why might we have an advantage here without the correct key? Well, if C3 was indeed constructed so that it could be easily and quickly decoded, which is almost certain to be the case, then it likely uses the exact same code as the C1 cipher. And if this is true then this means that both C1 & C3 can be decoded at the same time, each cipher being used to check against the generated clear text of the other cipher. In other words, it's only when the same decoding process is generating clean clear text on both ciphers that we will know we have landed on the correct process. If we're generating a a clean clear text in C1 but just gibberish in C3 then we will know that we don't have the correct process and so there is no sense in continuing further, the process requiring that we start anew again until a clean clear text is being generated on both ciphers. While this is still presents an imposing challenge I feel it may be possible that the clear text for both ciphers can be arrived at this way.

So, if my theory is correct as to why the unknown produced the pamphlet, and if it is also correct that he already had the clear text to all of the ciphers and that he was simply looking for that other critical piece of paper, then he already had those names on C3 when he wrote the pamphlet and he knew that the Lynchburg and Bedford area was the nest to all of them, or at least, most of them.

So in other words, if I'm Beale, I want Morriss in the position he's in because I need someone in that position. Assuming all thirty members of the party knew each other, then if Morriss was to show up with someone claiming to be a member of the party and we clearly knew that he isn't, well, then something is terribly wrong! But if Morriss never shows up with that imposter then all is still well.

C3

317, 8, 92, 73, 112, 89, 67, 318, 28, 96,107, 41, 631, 78, 146, 397, 118, 98, 114, 246, 348, 116, 74, 88, 12, 65, 32, 14, 81, 19, 76, 121, 216, 85, 33, 66, 15, 108, 68, 77, 43, 24, 122, 96, 117, 36, 211, 301, 15, 44, 11, 46, 89, 18, 136, 68, 317, 28, 90, 82, 304, 71, 43, 221, 198, 176, 310, 319, 81, 99, 264, 380, 56, 37, 319, 2, 44, 53, 28, 44, 75, 98, 102, 37, 85, 107, 117, 64, 88, 136, 48, 151, 99, 175, 89, 315, 326, 78, 96, 214, 218, 311, 43, 89, 51, 90, 75, 128, 96, 33, 28, 103, 84, 65, 26, 41, 246, 84, 270, 98, 116, 32, 59, 74, 66, 69, 240, 15, 8, 121, 20, 77, 89, 31, 11, 106, 81, 191, 224, 328, 18, 75, 52, 82, 117, 201, 39, 23, 217, 27, 21, 84, 35, 54, 109, 128, 49, 77, 88, 1, 81, 217, 64, 55, 83, 116, 251, 269, 311, 96, 54, 32, 120, 18, 132, 102, 219, 211, 84, 150, 219, 275, 312, 64, 10, 106, 87, 75, 47, 21, 29, 37, 81, 44, 18, 126, 115, 132, 160, 181, 203, 76, 81, 299, 314, 337, 351, 96, 11, 28, 97, 318, 238, 106, 24, 93, 3, 19, 17, 26, 60, 73, 88, 14, 126, 138, 234, 286, 297, 321, 365, 264, 19, 22, 84, 56, 107, 98, 123, 111, 214, 136, 7, 33, 45, 40, 13, 28, 46, 42, 107, 196, 227, 344, 198, 203, 247, 116, 19, 8, 212, 230, 31, 6, 328, 65, 48, 52, 59, 41, 122, 33, 117, 11, 18, 25, 71, 36, 45, 83, 76, 89, 92, 31, 65, 70, 83, 96, 27, 33, 44, 50, 61, 24, 112, 136, 149, 176, 180, 194, 143, 171, 205, 296, 87, 12, 44, 51, 89, 98, 34, 41, 208, 173, 66, 9, 35, 16, 95, 8, 113, 175, 90, 56, 203, 19, 177, 183, 206, 157, 200, 218, 260, 291, 305, 618, 951, 320, 18, 124, 78, 65, 19, 32, 124, 48, 53, 57, 84, 96, 207, 244, 66, 82, 119, 71, 11, 86, 77, 213, 54, 82, 316, 245, 303, 86, 97, 106, 212, 18, 37, 15, 81, 89, 16, 7, 81, 39, 96, 14, 43, 216, 118, 29, 55, 109, 136, 172, 213, 64, 8, 227, 304, 611, 221, 364, 819, 375, 128, 296, 1, 18, 53, 76, 10, 15, 23, 19, 71, 84, 120, 134, 66, 73, 89, 96, 230, 48, 77, 26, 101, 127, 936, 218, 439, 178, 171, 61, 226, 313, 215, 102, 18, 167, 262, 114, 218, 66, 59, 48, 27, 19, 13, 82, 48, 162, 119, 34, 127, 139, 34, 128, 129, 74, 63, 120, 11, 54, 61, 73, 92, 180, 66, 75, 101, 124, 265, 89, 96, 126, 274, 896, 917, 434, 461, 235, 890, 312, 413, 328, 381, 96, 105, 217, 66, 118, 22, 77, 64, 42, 12, 7, 55, 24, 83, 67, 97, 109, 121, 135, 181, 203, 219, 228, 256, 21, 34, 77, 319, 374, 382, 675, 684, 717, 864, 203, 4, 18, 92, 16, 63, 82, 22, 46, 55, 69, 74, 112, 134, 186, 175, 119, 213, 416, 312, 343, 264, 119, 186, 218, 343, 417, 845, 951, 124, 209, 49, 617, 856, 924, 936, 72, 19, 28, 11, 35, 42, 40, 66, 85, 94, 112, 65, 82, 115, 119, 236, 244, 186, 172, 112, 85, 6, 56, 38, 44, 85, 72, 32, 47, 63, 96, 124, 217, 314, 319, 221, 644, 817, 821, 934, 922, 416, 975, 10, 22, 18, 46, 137, 181, 101, 39, 86, 103, 116, 138, 164, 212, 218, 296, 815, 380, 412, 460, 495, 675, 820, 952.

C1 with four digit codes highlighted.

71, 194, 38, 1701, 89, 76, 11, 83, 1629, 48, 94, 63, 132, 16, 111, 95, 84, 341, 975, 14, 40, 64, 27, 81, 139, 213, 63, 90, 1120, 8, 15, 3, 126, 2018, 40, 74, 758, 485, 604, 230, 436, 664, 582, 150, 251, 284, 308, 231, 124, 211, 486, 225, 401, 370, 11, 101, 305, 139, 189, 17, 33, 88, 208, 193, 145, 1, 94, 73, 416, 918, 263, 28, 500, 538, 356, 117, 136, 219, 27, 176, 130, 10, 460, 25, 485, 18, 436, 65, 84, 200, 283, 118, 320, 138, 36, 416, 280, 15, 71, 224, 961, 44, 16, 401, 39, 88, 61, 304, 12, 21, 24, 283, 134, 92, 63, 246, 486, 682, 7, 219, 184, 360, 780, 18, 64, 463, 474, 131, 160, 79, 73, 440, 95, 18, 64, 581, 34, 69, 128, 367, 460, 17, 81, 12, 103, 820, 62, 116, 97, 103, 862, 70, 60, 1317, 471, 540, 208, 121, 890, 346, 36, 150, 59, 568, 614, 13, 120, 63, 219, 812, 2160, 1780, 99, 35, 18, 21, 136, 872, 15, 28, 170, 88, 4, 30, 44, 112, 18, 147, 436, 195, 320, 37, 122, 113, 6, 140, 8, 120, 305, 42, 58, 461, 44, 106, 301, 13, 408, 680, 93, 86, 116, 530, 82, 568, 9, 102, 38, 416, 89, 71, 216, 728, 965, 818, 2, 38, 121, 195, 14, 326, 148, 234, 18, 55, 131, 234, 361, 824, 5, 81, 623, 48, 961, 19, 26, 33, 10, 1101, 365, 92, 88, 181, 275, 346, 201, 206, 86, 36, 219, 324, 829, 840, 64, 326, 19, 48, 122, 85, 216, 284, 919, 861, 326, 985, 233, 64, 68, 232, 431, 960, 50, 29, 81, 216, 321, 603, 14, 612, 81, 360, 36, 51, 62, 194, 78, 60, 200, 314, 676, 112, 4, 28, 18, 61, 136, 247, 819, 921, 1060, 464, 895, 10, 6, 66, 119, 38, 41, 49, 602, 423, 962, 302, 294, 875, 78, 14, 23, 111, 109, 62, 31, 501, 823, 216, 280, 34, 24, 150, 1000, 162, 286, 19, 21, 17, 340, 19, 242, 31, 86, 234, 140, 607, 115, 33, 191, 67, 104, 86, 52, 88, 16, 80, 121, 67, 95, 122, 216, 548, 96, 11, 201, 77, 364, 218, 65, 667, 890, 236, 154, 211, 10, 98, 34, 119, 56, 216, 119, 71, 218, 1164, 1496, 1817, 51, 39, 210, 36, 3, 19, 540, 232, 22, 141, 617, 84, 290, 80, 46, 207, 411, 150, 29, 38, 46, 172, 85, 194, 39, 261, 543, 897, 624, 18, 212, 416, 127, 931, 19, 4, 63, 96, 12, 101, 418, 16, 140, 230, 460, 538, 19, 27, 88, 612, 1431, 90, 716, 275, 74, 83, 11, 426, 89, 72, 84, 1300, 1706, 814, 221, 132, 40, 102, 34, 868, 975, 1101, 84, 16, 79, 23, 16, 81, 122, 324, 403, 912, 227, 936, 447, 55, 86, 34, 43, 212, 107, 96, 314, 264, 1065, 323, 428, 601, 203, 124, 95, 216, 814, 2906, 654, 820, 2, 301, 112, 176, 213, 71, 87, 96, 202, 35, 10, 2, 41, 17, 84, 221, 736, 820, 214, 11, 60, 760

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
L.C., while I am not a subscriber to any KGC involvement I will admit that the actual construction of the story and the ciphers may hold even more brilliance then I first expected.

First, I have often wondered about the other parties and how they were assured that their investment, or share, was in safe hands? I know I would be extremely nervous knowing that my money was hidden by someone else a thousands a miles or more away. So what assurances would I have that my money was safe? Beale even makes reference of this same concern when he tells Morriss that he held concern of an imposter possibly showing up. This got me to thinking a bit deeper on the elements within the story, and perhaps, another alternate reason for the construction of the ciphers. Let me attempt to explain more of this to you now with the following.

Below is a copy of the C3 cipher. The first thing we notice about this cipher is that it maintains a smaller range of codes and it also utilizes more repeated codes. If this is a simple substitution cipher, as it most likely is, then this cipher would be remedied very easily and quickly with the correct key. What this tells us is that the coder wanted this cipher to be easily decoded by the desired decoder. This is evident by his use of a smaller range and so much repeated code.

Basically, what is possible in all of this, if not likely, is that once the intended decoder accessed the clear text for cipher number 1 then the coder wanted to make certain that decoder could easily access the clear text for cipher three. C2 & C3 contain the same general elements of construction, however, due to the nineteen four digit codes in its design C1 is clearly of different construction. And, in a twist of strategy, this difference in the construction of C1 and C3 might actually offer us an advantage in trying to decode them without a key. Allow me to explain.

Let's say that I have hidden a boatload of money somewhere that I decided to protect just as Beale had done in his arrangement with Morriss. One thing I would be required to do is to make those ciphers simple enough for Morriss if his services were ever called into play. I wouldn't want a system that was so complicated that it could cause him or his chosen predecessor too much challenge. Remember, if Morriss was to be called into play then we need him to act on our behalf and we need to make that charge as easy for him as possible. If something unforeseen would arise to cause us to bring Morriss into play then we are truly counting on his representation at that time. So we need him to be able to react on our behalf quickly and easily.

Going back to C1 and the extra layer of protection that likely possesses, perhaps this provides even a safer measure of protection then we first assume. Let me pose the possibility that all of the parties in C3 possessed the same identical keyword list. By arranging things in this manner Morriss, or anyone else for that matter, would never know the meaning of those critical nineteen digit codes unless he made contact with at least one of the parties in C3. This would absolutely insure that the decoder, if not Morriss, was indeed a desired associate. This would eliminate any possibility that the critical information would fall into the wrong hands without the alarm clearly sounding. So if all of this was indeed the intended purpose behind the actual construction of the ciphers then it was quite brilliant, extremely safe, and virtually foolproof.

So why might we have an advantage here without the correct key? Well, if C3 was indeed constructed so that it could be easily and quickly decoded, which is almost certain to be the case, then it likely uses the exact same code as the C1 cipher. And if this is true then this means that both C1 & C3 can be decoded at the same time, each cipher being used to check against the generated clear text of the other cipher. In other words, it's only when the same decoding process is generating clean clear text on both ciphers that we will know we have landed on the correct process. If we're generating a a clean clear text in C1 but just gibberish in C3 then we will know that we don't have the correct process and so there is no sense in continuing further, the process requiring that we start anew again until a clean clear text is being generated on both ciphers. While this is still presents an imposing challenge I feel it may be possible that the clear text for both ciphers can be arrived at this way.

So, if my theory is correct as to why the unknown produced the pamphlet, and if it is also correct that he already had the clear text to all of the ciphers and that he was simply looking for that other critical piece of paper, then he already had those names on C3 when he wrote the pamphlet and he knew that the Lynchburg and Bedford area was the nest to all of them, or at least, most of them.

C3

317, 8, 92, 73, 112, 89, 67, 318, 28, 96,107, 41, 631, 78, 146, 397, 118, 98, 114, 246, 348, 116, 74, 88, 12, 65, 32, 14, 81, 19, 76, 121, 216, 85, 33, 66, 15, 108, 68, 77, 43, 24, 122, 96, 117, 36, 211, 301, 15, 44, 11, 46, 89, 18, 136, 68, 317, 28, 90, 82, 304, 71, 43, 221, 198, 176, 310, 319, 81, 99, 264, 380, 56, 37, 319, 2, 44, 53, 28, 44, 75, 98, 102, 37, 85, 107, 117, 64, 88, 136, 48, 151, 99, 175, 89, 315, 326, 78, 96, 214, 218, 311, 43, 89, 51, 90, 75, 128, 96, 33, 28, 103, 84, 65, 26, 41, 246, 84, 270, 98, 116, 32, 59, 74, 66, 69, 240, 15, 8, 121, 20, 77, 89, 31, 11, 106, 81, 191, 224, 328, 18, 75, 52, 82, 117, 201, 39, 23, 217, 27, 21, 84, 35, 54, 109, 128, 49, 77, 88, 1, 81, 217, 64, 55, 83, 116, 251, 269, 311, 96, 54, 32, 120, 18, 132, 102, 219, 211, 84, 150, 219, 275, 312, 64, 10, 106, 87, 75, 47, 21, 29, 37, 81, 44, 18, 126, 115, 132, 160, 181, 203, 76, 81, 299, 314, 337, 351, 96, 11, 28, 97, 318, 238, 106, 24, 93, 3, 19, 17, 26, 60, 73, 88, 14, 126, 138, 234, 286, 297, 321, 365, 264, 19, 22, 84, 56, 107, 98, 123, 111, 214, 136, 7, 33, 45, 40, 13, 28, 46, 42, 107, 196, 227, 344, 198, 203, 247, 116, 19, 8, 212, 230, 31, 6, 328, 65, 48, 52, 59, 41, 122, 33, 117, 11, 18, 25, 71, 36, 45, 83, 76, 89, 92, 31, 65, 70, 83, 96, 27, 33, 44, 50, 61, 24, 112, 136, 149, 176, 180, 194, 143, 171, 205, 296, 87, 12, 44, 51, 89, 98, 34, 41, 208, 173, 66, 9, 35, 16, 95, 8, 113, 175, 90, 56, 203, 19, 177, 183, 206, 157, 200, 218, 260, 291, 305, 618, 951, 320, 18, 124, 78, 65, 19, 32, 124, 48, 53, 57, 84, 96, 207, 244, 66, 82, 119, 71, 11, 86, 77, 213, 54, 82, 316, 245, 303, 86, 97, 106, 212, 18, 37, 15, 81, 89, 16, 7, 81, 39, 96, 14, 43, 216, 118, 29, 55, 109, 136, 172, 213, 64, 8, 227, 304, 611, 221, 364, 819, 375, 128, 296, 1, 18, 53, 76, 10, 15, 23, 19, 71, 84, 120, 134, 66, 73, 89, 96, 230, 48, 77, 26, 101, 127, 936, 218, 439, 178, 171, 61, 226, 313, 215, 102, 18, 167, 262, 114, 218, 66, 59, 48, 27, 19, 13, 82, 48, 162, 119, 34, 127, 139, 34, 128, 129, 74, 63, 120, 11, 54, 61, 73, 92, 180, 66, 75, 101, 124, 265, 89, 96, 126, 274, 896, 917, 434, 461, 235, 890, 312, 413, 328, 381, 96, 105, 217, 66, 118, 22, 77, 64, 42, 12, 7, 55, 24, 83, 67, 97, 109, 121, 135, 181, 203, 219, 228, 256, 21, 34, 77, 319, 374, 382, 675, 684, 717, 864, 203, 4, 18, 92, 16, 63, 82, 22, 46, 55, 69, 74, 112, 134, 186, 175, 119, 213, 416, 312, 343, 264, 119, 186, 218, 343, 417, 845, 951, 124, 209, 49, 617, 856, 924, 936, 72, 19, 28, 11, 35, 42, 40, 66, 85, 94, 112, 65, 82, 115, 119, 236, 244, 186, 172, 112, 85, 6, 56, 38, 44, 85, 72, 32, 47, 63, 96, 124, 217, 314, 319, 221, 644, 817, 821, 934, 922, 416, 975, 10, 22, 18, 46, 137, 181, 101, 39, 86, 103, 116, 138, 164, 212, 218, 296, 815, 380, 412, 460, 495, 675, 820, 952.

C1 with four digit codes highlighted.

71, 194, 38, 1701, 89, 76, 11, 83, 1629, 48, 94, 63, 132, 16, 111, 95, 84, 341, 975, 14, 40, 64, 27, 81, 139, 213, 63, 90, 1120, 8, 15, 3, 126, 2018, 40, 74, 758, 485, 604, 230, 436, 664, 582, 150, 251, 284, 308, 231, 124, 211, 486, 225, 401, 370, 11, 101, 305, 139, 189, 17, 33, 88, 208, 193, 145, 1, 94, 73, 416, 918, 263, 28, 500, 538, 356, 117, 136, 219, 27, 176, 130, 10, 460, 25, 485, 18, 436, 65, 84, 200, 283, 118, 320, 138, 36, 416, 280, 15, 71, 224, 961, 44, 16, 401, 39, 88, 61, 304, 12, 21, 24, 283, 134, 92, 63, 246, 486, 682, 7, 219, 184, 360, 780, 18, 64, 463, 474, 131, 160, 79, 73, 440, 95, 18, 64, 581, 34, 69, 128, 367, 460, 17, 81, 12, 103, 820, 62, 116, 97, 103, 862, 70, 60, 1317, 471, 540, 208, 121, 890, 346, 36, 150, 59, 568, 614, 13, 120, 63, 219, 812, 2160, 1780, 99, 35, 18, 21, 136, 872, 15, 28, 170, 88, 4, 30, 44, 112, 18, 147, 436, 195, 320, 37, 122, 113, 6, 140, 8, 120, 305, 42, 58, 461, 44, 106, 301, 13, 408, 680, 93, 86, 116, 530, 82, 568, 9, 102, 38, 416, 89, 71, 216, 728, 965, 818, 2, 38, 121, 195, 14, 326, 148, 234, 18, 55, 131, 234, 361, 824, 5, 81, 623, 48, 961, 19, 26, 33, 10, 1101, 365, 92, 88, 181, 275, 346, 201, 206, 86, 36, 219, 324, 829, 840, 64, 326, 19, 48, 122, 85, 216, 284, 919, 861, 326, 985, 233, 64, 68, 232, 431, 960, 50, 29, 81, 216, 321, 603, 14, 612, 81, 360, 36, 51, 62, 194, 78, 60, 200, 314, 676, 112, 4, 28, 18, 61, 136, 247, 819, 921, 1060, 464, 895, 10, 6, 66, 119, 38, 41, 49, 602, 423, 962, 302, 294, 875, 78, 14, 23, 111, 109, 62, 31, 501, 823, 216, 280, 34, 24, 150, 1000, 162, 286, 19, 21, 17, 340, 19, 242, 31, 86, 234, 140, 607, 115, 33, 191, 67, 104, 86, 52, 88, 16, 80, 121, 67, 95, 122, 216, 548, 96, 11, 201, 77, 364, 218, 65, 667, 890, 236, 154, 211, 10, 98, 34, 119, 56, 216, 119, 71, 218, 1164, 1496, 1817, 51, 39, 210, 36, 3, 19, 540, 232, 22, 141, 617, 84, 290, 80, 46, 207, 411, 150, 29, 38, 46, 172, 85, 194, 39, 261, 543, 897, 624, 18, 212, 416, 127, 931, 19, 4, 63, 96, 12, 101, 418, 16, 140, 230, 460, 538, 19, 27, 88, 612, 1431, 90, 716, 275, 74, 83, 11, 426, 89, 72, 84, 1300, 1706, 814, 221, 132, 40, 102, 34, 868, 975, 1101, 84, 16, 79, 23, 16, 81, 122, 324, 403, 912, 227, 936, 447, 55, 86, 34, 43, 212, 107, 96, 314, 264, 1065, 323, 428, 601, 203, 124, 95, 216, 814, 2906, 654, 820, 2, 301, 112, 176, 213, 71, 87, 96, 202, 35, 10, 2, 41, 17, 84, 221, 736, 820, 214, 11, 60, 760

Translate from NUMBERS to words/statements...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Translate from NUMBERS to words/statements...

Correct. The nineteen four digit codes could easily form their own critical sentence. I have said many times that I can't think of a single secure location that I couldn't tell you about in a single sentence. Not a chance that these intelligent men would risk putting that money in a location that was subject to environmental or human change. Not a chance that the clear text to C1 harbors crazy directions or a complicated formula. What it probably contains is the truth to the actual source (a true explanation) and also the location.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Correct. The nineteen four digit codes could easily form their own critical sentence. I have said many times that I can't think of a single secure location that I couldn't tell you about in a single sentence. Not a chance that these intelligent men would risk putting that money in a location that was subject to environmental or human change. Not a chance that the clear text to C1 harbors crazy directions or a complicated formula. What it probably contains is the truth to the actual source (a true explanation) and also the location.

Translate it, ALREADY!

O

Old Silver

And if this is true, it increases the chances of finding the key, because every man had one. You would think with that many copies, at least one could eventually turn up.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Translate it, ALREADY!

It's still quite a long shot considering all of the possible alphabetical arrangements and the length of the cipher/ciphers. Certainly going to need a computer program specifically designed to the task. Which is what I'm trying to get my hands on now.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It's still quite a long shot considering all of the possible alphabetical arrangements and the length of the cipher/ciphers. Certainly going to need a computer program specifically designed to the task. Which is what I'm trying to get my hands on now.

OK; thought you had it "figured out", already...

O

Old Silver

True or false, the Beale papers tell us why they were published.

"It will be seen by a perusal of Mr. Beales letter to Mr. Morriss that he promised, under certain contingencies, such as failure to see or communicate with him in a given time, to furnish a key by which the papers would be fully explained.
As the failure to do either actually occurred, and the promised explanation has never been received, it may possibly remain in the hands of some relative or friend of Beales, or some other person engaged in the enterprise with him. That they would attach no importance to a seemingly unintelligible writing seems quite natural; but their attention being called to them by the publication of this narrative, may result in eventually bringing to light the missing papers."

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

"It will be seen by a perusal of Mr. Beales letter to Mr. Morriss that he promised, under certain contingencies, such as failure to see or communicate with him in a given time, to furnish a key by which the papers would be fully explained.
As the failure to do either actually occurred, and the promised explanation has never been received, it may possibly remain in the hands of some relative or friend of Beales, or some other person engaged in the enterprise with him. That they would attach no importance to a seemingly unintelligible writing seems quite natural; but their attention being called to them by the publication of this narrative, may result in eventually bringing to light the missing papers."

GOOD POINT! "THE MISSING PAPERS; hmmm... ???

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And here's the huge point everybody misses....if the author was referencing the key then how did he know it would be, "a seemingly unintelligible writing?" The DOI is very intelligible, is it not? So very clearly, as I have been suggesting all along, the author WAS NOT looking for a written intelligible text of any kind. He was looking for "the missing paper" that was "seemingly unintelligible." Old Silver is on top of it. :thumbsup:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Turing couldn't break it, the NSA couldn't break it, WHY? Could they be gibberish?
"..if you can spare no time,let the matter alone".
The author is telling you the remaining ciphers are unsolvable-Don't waste your time.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Turing couldn't break it, the NSA couldn't break it, WHY? Could they be gibberish?
The author is telling you the remaining ciphers are unsolvable-Don't waste your time.

AGREE... "google" Elisabeth Friedman (NSA) & Beale Ciphers... AND!
Page 23: Beale Ciphers Analyses

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But it's my time. Mine to do with whatever I want. If that's ok with you? :laughing7: As you pointed out, "..if you can spare no time, let the matter alone"....and yet you spend a huge amount of time in these forums not leaving the matter alone. :laughing7: Is this one of those, "Do as I say and not as I do" type test....:laughing7:....care to lead by example? This is just one thread of many, and yet I'm betting you can't leave the matter, just this one thread, alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread