And The Plot Thickens, Or Thins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes we run across information in the most unassuming places. In recent months I've been reading and researching the mining history of Colorado in preparation of a prospecting trip I'll be taking out there next summer. In doing all of this research I've also been reading a lot of old books relevant to the subject. Recently I ran into a book that cast both serious doubt on the Beale party's adventure but also support of the notion that gold deposits in the region were known about, and visited, even before the time of Lewis and Clark, or Pike.

First, as to the gold references and mining as reported in the Beale story, there is absolutely no way that the party was able to separate the ores from the conglomerates as there was no known processes for doing so. You see, the gold in Colorado was, and is, vastly different from that gold which is mined in California, Nevada, and Arizona. Even during the Colorado gold rush of 59 and for several years following the known processes of those later times still resulted in a 40 to 50% loss of the gold in the ores, sometimes this loss was even higher. It wasn't until the late sixties and early seventies that new types of chemistries were developed to improve on this process, and even then these new process took considerable more time. So if the Beale party's gold is even partially refined then it could not have come from Colorado. Period! So then, if their alleged gold was found in Colorado then it has to be in the form of ores. To these conclusions there can now be no doubt or argument, this information being available to anyone who wishes to look for it.

Now, as for the earlier knowledge that gold did in fact exist in Colorado, this is something the French were aware of. Just exactly how they knew that gold existed in Colorado isn't quite known but there is no doubt that they possessed the knowledge. So given the dates in the Beale Pamphlet this information begs the question, dime novel or otherwise, did the unknown author have this information? Did the Beale party, if a real adventure, possess it as well? Could this be the reason for the ten year term, because at the time there was known process for separating the ore? What good is gold if you can't physically extract it and posses it?

Just more food for thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This information comes before the Louisiana Purchase;

the wily French foreign minister Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand warned Spain that "the United States planned to conquer all of North America and seize Spain’s rich silver and gold deposits in Mexico. The only means of ending American ambitions, he insisted, was ‘to shut them up’ behind the Appalachians. If Spain was too weak to do the job, he suggested that she retrocede Louisiana to France and let French troops turn the Appalachians into ‘a wall of brass forever impenetrable to the combined efforts of England and America.’”

The reference to "Mexico" includes the Louisiana territory as at the time of this warning the territory was still in Spanish hands. Where Tallyrand acquired this information isn't known.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, and as discovered in French documents concerning the Louisiana Purchase, the uncertain borders were well known to the French and even desirable, Napoleon himself even remarking that if uncertain boundaries hadn't already existed he would think it proper, and even advantageous, to create some in order to insure areas of dispute that could be utilized, even by military force, to insure continental routes into Mexico and to the Pacific.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Also, and as discovered in French documents concerning the Louisiana Purchase, the uncertain borders were well known to the French and even desirable, Napoleon himself even remarking that if uncertain boundaries hadn't already existed he would think it proper, and even advantageous, to create some in order to insure areas of dispute that could be utilized, even by military force, to insure continental routes into Mexico and to the Pacific.

If you "google" Louisiana Territory... you will find that St. Louis, MO was considered as Upper Louisiana, back then. I think the FRENCH had "eyes on" WESTERN "America"; they already "had" New Orleans, LA... up BIG "ole" Muddy to St. Louis, MO... AND! SOUTH "down-river" from New France (aka Canada)...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you "google" Louisiana Territory... you will find that St. Louis, MO was considered as Upper Louisiana, back then. I think the FRENCH had "eyes on" WESTERN "America"; they already "had" New Orleans, LA... up BIG "ole" Muddy to St. Louis, MO... AND! SOUTH "down-river" from New France (aka Canada)...

:laughing7:....when the French gained the territory from Spain they had great plans for the territory and Napoleon was very near acting on those plans if it hadn't been for Great Britain. It's all documented.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:laughing7:....when the French gained the territory from Spain they had great plans for the territory and Napoleon was very near acting on those plans if it hadn't been for Great Britain. It's all documented.

I know... War of 1812, did a REAL "number" on FRENCH Dreams, etc.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of the French forms of documentation is interesting as it sheds more light on some things. Not that any of it I've read so far is going to directly bear down on the Beale thing - but it sure offers a lot different perspective on things, helps to fill some holes and lingering questions. I think Americans are too deeply rooted in just the American versions sometimes.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think some of the French forms of documentation is interesting as it sheds more light on some things. Not that any of it I've read so far is going to directly bear down on the Beale thing - but it sure offers a lot different perspective on things, helps to fill some holes and lingering questions. I think Americans are too deeply rooted in just the American versions sometimes.

Would YOU rather be FRENCH, drinking FRENCH wine/eating FRENCH food, getting fat & "getting off" on Brigitte Bardot..?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions