HAS JOSH GATES OF EXPEDITION UNKNOWN DECODE THE BEALE CIPHERS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
TOMORROW NIGHT! 9 pm... in the mountains & jungles of Bedford County, Va. HOSTILE farmers, pot patches SENTINELS, Meth Houses of Montvale, Va.; see it ALL!

Code to GOLD "SLIDES"; Philly Grand Lodge, DOI review, Cryptography Museum, "breaking" the Codes 1 & 3, rappeling down "Murder Hole", NSA, "talking" NATIONAL SECURITY... gonna be INTERESTING!

Last edited:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot Ginseng pickers and moonshiners Reb !:coffee2:

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ginseng was an important trade commodity for Stephen Girard's China opium trade.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hmmm... went to Lynchburg, Va. Library, today. Bedford Bulletin newspaper LAST week had on front page: "Exploring the Beale Treasure Mystery" about Josh GATES & "team" in the field... looking. "In the episode, Gates heads to Bedford County, and makes a stop at the old Buford's Tavern...". "Local" Mike Evans (respected Beale Treasure hunter) met up with 'em & flew 'em around Bedford County, etc. I know Mike from two churches, we were in; didn't know he had an airplane & was a BT hunter. HA! Gonna have to re-connect with him... ANYWAY, something about BT stashed near a waterfall, in the wilderness by the river... ??? They find a few artifacts; NO BT. Several other "pieces" of this adventure/episode, with "local" Jack Cannady (don't know him)... looking in diverse places! I'm gonna watch it!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(Singing... Roddy Stewart's song); TONITE'S, Da Nite! TRAVEL CHANNEL at 9 PM; My Direct TV... 277!

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Well boys, the conclusion was . . . A hoax. But the real value was the comedy actually aired.
This one dude is out in the James River with detector and gets right foot stuck in the goo. Then
Josh walks out and grabs his right arm and pulls his ashore. However the metal detector is
nowhere is sight, hmm are we to assume he left it in the water? Y'know these geniuses always
out themselves. Then Josh detects a 1788 silver coin so bright they easily read it and brags how
historic it is. The cave part only yielded a square nail but it was a real good one. A real treasure
hunting laugh-in.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well boys, the conclusion was . . . A hoax. But the real value was the comedy actually aired.
This one dude is out in the James River with detector and gets right foot stuck in the goo. Then
Josh walks out and grabs his right arm and pulls his ashore. However the metal detector is
nowhere is sight, hmm are we to assume he left it in the water? Y'know these geniuses always
out themselves. Then Josh detects a 1788 silver coin so bright they easily read it and brags how
historic it is. The cave part only yielded a square nail but it was a real good one. A real treasure
hunting laugh-in.

What do you expect from Josh Gates ? Hahaha. Leonard Nemoy made better shows. At least Spock made it intriguing. The show seriously spent more time running around than treasure or clue hunting. Too much filler in Josh's adventures. jmo. :coffee2:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
hunting laugh-in.

LOL! I was VERY disappointed... Joel was NOWHERE to be seen!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
What do you expect from Josh Gates ? Hahaha. Leonard Nemoy made better shows. At least Spock made it intriguing. The show seriously spent more time running around than treasure or clue hunting. Too much filler in Josh's adventures. jmo. :coffee2:

LOL! Your "jmo" is mine, also; "re-runs" are on Tuesdays; episode 8. Will watch Jesse James "show", too. It WAS good to see Mike in airplane; Jack C. had an unique "theory" which I do not "believe" the cave was Catawba Cave, in Botetourt County, "Murder Hole". MORE later.

Last edited:

BeeDee

Feb 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know (knew) someone who is working on this who partially decoded text #3 (I think it was #3, either that or #2, I forget) about 15+ years ago using a book that was published at the time. (can't remember the title, and wouldn't say if I did) It had some (more than) scrambled and misspelled words like the DOI #2 does (without 'correction'), but some REALLY interesting results that I'm pretty sure cannot be "random" and made sense not only in their own context (partial sentences), but in the general context of what the message was supposed to be (cor-related content). That is, to get about 10 or 20+ correctly-spelled words that "make sense" in the overall scheme of things is ALSO statistically large and relevant. He asked me to look at it to see if I could do something with a computer program to figure out more, or why it wasn't 100%, etc. I suggested that using a "modern" re-print of the book was not the best source to use and try to find a "first edition" or something like that. So I pretty much "KNOW FOR SURE" that the cyphers are NOT a "hoax", at least in that regard. (or ONE of the other two, anyway -- the people who point out the ABCDEFG... stuff basically don't know what they are talking about -- it literally COULD be a "coincidence", it's just statistically large, but anyone who knows anything about statistics knows that that literally means nothing, because there really are such things as "random coincidence", even when it is "statistically improbable")

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunting laugh-in.

the film where he handed the detector in,
before being pulled from the mud was apparently edited out for time.
the 1788 silver coin did look a bit polished :laughing7:
either found , cleaned & re-filmed after because they found it without a camera running
or faked. But I can believe it was found there.
it really had nothing to do with the shows intention, so why lie ?

I was impressed they ended the show with josh announcing A hoax.
I would have thought they would have hid that possibility & ended it with
an announcement he will be back to continue the search one day.
plus Hoax fits my personal conclusions on this treasure story :tongue3:
seems too fitting the description of the treasure was so easy to decode but the others impossible
tongue3.gif

Of all the tv characters on reality shows, I do respect Gates.
His Sci-Fi show never went overboard like some of the spook shows do.
they rarely found anything .
and so far his treasure Hunting shows have showed a serious side,
even though he is a bit of a stooge at times.

there for awhile I thought he may have been another CIA agent ,
playing the fool like Chuck Barris. in order to get in all those countries :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
the film where he handed the detector in,
before being pulled from the mud was apparently edited out for time.
the 1788 silver coin did look a bit polished :laughing7:
either found , cleaned & re-filmed after because they found it without a camera running
or faked. But I can believe it was found there.
it really had nothing to do with the shows intention, so why lie ?

I was impressed they ended the show with josh announcing A hoax.
I would have thought they would have hid that possibility & ended it with
an announcement he will be back to continue the search one day.
plus Hoax fits my personal conclusions on this treasure story :tongue3:
seems too fitting the description of the treasure was so easy to decode but the others impossible :tongue3:
Of all the tv characters on reality shows, I do respect Gates.
His Sci-Fi show never went overboard like some of the spook shows do.
they rarely found anything .
and so far his treasure Hunting shows have showed a serious side,
even though he is a bit of a stooge at times.

there for awhile I thought he may have been another CIA agent ,
playing the fool like Chuck Barris. in order to get in all those countries :laughing7:

Well Jeff, I agree with a lot that you "say" & I think Josh is NSA (in USA). The coin (1788) WAS too polished; horseshoes, etc. COULD have been on "top" of the Vault... to throw OLD/New Metal Detectors "off." The SAME "find" was in Old City Cemetery in Lynchburg, Va., where "BT" was rumored to be buried; CITY employees dug up a certain spot (I know where), and found ONLY horseshoes, nails, etc. & STOPPED. They thought... "ONLY horseshoes, nails." Shoulda gone down another 6'; "Richmond STORES" (from CONFEDERATE WAR) MAY have been there, as Lynchburg, Va. WAS state capital of Virginia, for 4 days, in April, 1865. SEVERAL things to be considered... WHAT are we looking for...? RAW GOLD/SILVER & Jewelry; GOLD/SILVER COINS & Jewelry; GOLD/SILVER BARS & Jewelry...? HOAX...? The CIPHERS...? The Beale Treasure "story"...? Reviewing the "course" of the James River, to "zero in" on where the boys went canoeing on the James River; I know of several "white waters", including up near Botetourt County, where Catawba Cave is via Jack C. I know J. B. Risque bought some land on Catawba Creek...

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I liked that Josh met with TN's Justintime who told the story of finding the original copy of the DOI in an old stove, then went on to compare the scalloped edges to mountain peaks, and on to repelling down a ravine to find a cave.
Once inside the cave, they found an old square head nail and a shard of lantern glass.
I wonder why Justintime did not take Josh to the sites with the "treasure carvings" on the rocks that he has posted on TN many times?
All in all, it was not a bad show, a basic primer into the Beale Paper story, which briefly touched upon the Poe and Freemason theories, and the possibility that C1 & C3 are merely random numbers, never meant to be solved.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh-Oh ! Leonard Nemoy just died. Is that freaky.. ? I hope he's on the big Enterprise in the sky. 10650002_10204567737333943_2519118155638209188_n.jpg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I liked that Josh met with TN's Justintime who told the story of finding the original copy of the DOI in an old stove, then went on to compare the scalloped edges to mountain peaks, and on to repelling down a ravine to find a cave.
Once inside the cave, they found an old square head nail and a shard of lantern glass.
I wonder why Justintime did not take Josh to the sites with the "treasure carvings" on the rocks that he has posted on TN many times?
All in all, it was not a bad show, a basic primer into the Beale Paper story, which briefly touched upon the Poe and Freemason theories, and the possibility that C1 & C3 are merely random numbers, never meant to be solved.

Re-Runs are on Tuesdays; look for Episode # 8...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Jack C. is TN "Just-in-time"...? THAT explains EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread