Beale code Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh...? WHO "profited" from such, then...?

Local authors profit/profited from the publication of their books. Here we have authors, "researchers", who publish information without any evidence in support of their claims. They're not publishing these books to lose money, yet much of what they claim can't be supported with credible evidence. Like I said, absolutely no evidence that the story was anything other then a dime novel and yet it's legend has been fed and fed and fed with hearsay and creative speculation. Surely in all of this, if there was any truth to any of it, someone would have provided that credible evidence to support the claims.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't know LOC had a copy... dunno.

ya i think im wrong, i miss read

Other questions remain about the authenticity of the pamphlet's account. In 1934, Dr. Clarence Williams, a researcher at the Library of Congress, said, "To me, the pamphlet story has all the earmarks of a fake . . . [There was] no evidence save the word of the unknown author of the pamphlet that he ever had the papers."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_ciphers#Truth_or_hoax.3F

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Local authors profit/profited from the publication of their books. Here we have authors, "researchers", who publish information without any evidence in support of their claims. They're not publishing these books to lose money, yet much of what they claim can't be supported with credible evidence. Like I said, absolutely no evidence that the story was anything other then a dime novel and yet it's legend has been fed and fed and fed with hearsay and creative speculation. Surely in all of this, if there was any truth to any of it, someone would have provided that credible evidence to support the claims.

AH... what PROOF do YOU have, that it is just a DIME STORE NOVEL, eh...?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AH... what PROOF do YOU have, that it is just a DIME STORE NOVEL, eh...?
The complete lack of evidence to it being anything else, this and Sherman's history of writing dime novels, some even containing treasure references. And then we have the pamphlet itself.....a story nobody can authenticate or add any credibility to in any way whatsoever. Pretty strong circumstances to the obvious.

PS: Looks like a dime novel. Presented in dime novel form. Marketed like a low budget dime novel. And it was published through a printing house who's editor had a long history of writing dime novels containing references to treasure. And last, there's absolutely not one shred of evidence to the contrary. Makes for an extremely strong case that it was simply a dime novel. :laughing7: To date, it's only been the imaginations of men that have made it into anything else.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The complete lack of evidence to it being anything else, this and Sherman's history of writing dime novels, some even containing treasure references. And then we have the pamphlet itself.....a story nobody can authenticate or add any credibility to in any way whatsoever. Pretty strong circumstances to the obvious.

PS: Looks like a dime novel. Presented in dime novel form. Marketed like a low budget dime novel. And it was published through a printing house who's editor had a long history of writing dime novels containing references to treasure. And last, there's absolutely not one shred of evidence to the contrary. Makes for an extremely strong case that it was simply a dime novel. :laughing7: To date, it's only been the imaginations of men that have made it into anything else.

Ah SO! Tell us MORE about Sherman's Dime Store Novels....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah SO! Tell us MORE about Sherman's Dime Store Novels....

He wrote several, also had a history of including treasure in his tales. Now ask yourself if it might be possible that local researchers/authors have failed to detail these facts in their "There might be a huge treasure in Bedford County" books for a reason. Not a very productive notion when trying to instill the idea of a possible real treasure being buried somewhere in the vacintity. Yet with all of the research they conducted you can bet that they held/hold this knowledge. So why not include this strong contrary information in their hyped "hidden treasure" books? All too often we only hear half the story, the half that authors are wanting us to hear. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Tell us MORE about Sherman's Dime Store Novels....
Only one of Sherman's treasure story dime novels predates the 1885 Beale Papers:
"OUT WITH GENERAL CROOK-OUT WEST"-1883
The other two came out in 1893: "THE WINGED WITCH" and "THE LOST BALLOON", and BOTH contained codes and ciphers concerning lost treasure.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one of Sherman's treasure story dime novels predates the 1885 Beale Papers:
The other two came out in 1893: "THE WINGED WITCH" and "THE LOST BALLOON", and BOTH contained codes and ciphers concerning lost treasure.

I think this is "real strong" evidence in support of the dime novel notion. The fact that codes and ciphers were also used is pretty telling. The same general concept, just different tales. Today I have no doubt that Sherman wrote the Beale Pamphlet and that he simply used Ward as a distraction to that fact. It would take something real damning and credible to get me to see things any differently.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Are they "on-line"...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think this is "real strong" evidence in support of the dime novel notion. The fact that codes and ciphers were also used is pretty telling. The same general concept, just different tales. Today I have no doubt that Sherman wrote the Beale Pamphlet and that he simply used Ward as a distraction to that fact. It would take something real damning and credible to get me to see things any differently.

Gonna start a new "thread" on this very INTERESTING "theory"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread