Related 19th Century News Paper article

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
The Lynchburg Daily News1885 April adout the same time as the other two in the Lynchburg Virginian.

Poe,

Thanks,

I saw the reference to an article in the Lynchburg Daily Press in April of 1885 on the Ron Gervais site but I wasn't sure your article was the same one. I thought it was unusual that Ron didn't share the "day, page and column" it was published and the contents if he had the information. He is pretty meticulous!

Great Site!

Garry

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron Gervais also noted that John William Sherman also contributed articles to the LYNCHBURG DAILY PRESS and other newspapers, this article/ book review is really not a confirmation of the story contained in the Beale Papers, nor is there a mtstery on who wrote the piece.
What is curious is the "James B Wade", is that a typo, or another attempt like copyrighting the pamphlet as "agent" for Ward to distance himself from the Beale Papers?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is set by a typewriter so I believe it is a typo.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The first "typewriter" that set type for newspapers was the linotype, which was sold for $12,000 by the MERGANTHALER LINOTYPE CO in 1886, before then, all newspaper type was set by hand.
The date of that Beale newspaper book review was April, 1885, a year before the linotype was available for purchase, which leads to the two conclusions, "WADE" was either a typo or a purposeful mistake set by hand.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the book also NOTHING

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
FACT: NO mention of the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet/"JOB PRINT" in the SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG: A Story As Told In 1887; I have it & found NOTHING!
Not only are the Beale Papers not mentioned in Margaret Couch Cabell's "SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG", but more noticeable is the absence of any mention of a Thomas J Beale or his alleged stay at his parents inn in Rowland Dabney Buford's co-authored with N D Hawkins "HISTORICAL SKETCHES OF BEDFORD COUNTY".
It is interesting to note that Ward did not publish the Beale Papers until after both Pascal and Francis Buford (Rowland's parents) had passed away and could not be consulted about the "alleged" Beale stay, and Rowland, who did extensive research on Bedford county history, and died February 3, 1921, was never contacted by the Hart brothers for confirmation of the Beale stay.
Rowland's sisters, Ann Buford Hall, and Margaret L Buford who lived at the Buford Tavern Estate after their parents passing, both stated that they had NO KNOWLEDGE of Beale, his stay, or of the treasure story claimed by Ward's "authentic statements" in his copyrighted and published 1885 BEALE PAPERS.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents. In 1967, I set type for the U.S. Army, as part of my occupational therapy, it was not easy. You would take the numbers and letters from a tray, place them into the block, do your print job, check for correctness. If it looked correct you printed the number of copies required. When you were done you put all of the numbers and letters back in the tray, one at a time. It was not easy to keep from putting the wrong one in the wrong box. All I am trying to say is if the printer made a mistake in reading or setting Wade or Ward it really has nothing to do with the story. In fact if the treasure ever existed the government in some form or another, would have removed it. I have heard that they can detect large quantities of gold and silver from out of space. We are to busy knit picking to see what the objective is. For me it solving the codes, which was also hand set.

Carrying on.

P.S. J. B. Ward was the Librarian of Congress at Washington D. C., who recorded the registration of the book. While there I found copies of hand written letters to Jackson from Captain T. J. Beale. You would be surprised at what you can find there. Everything is going digital. I even down loaded a copy of the original book and saved myself fifty cents.

Last edited:

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents. In 1967, I set type for the U.S. Army, as part of my occupational therapy, it was not easy. You would take the numbers and letters from a tray, place them into the block, do your print job, check for correctness. If it looked correct you printed the number of copies required. When you were done you put all of the numbers and letters back in the tray, one at a time. It was not easy to keep from putting the wrong one in the wrong box. All I am trying to say is if the printer made a mistake in reading or setting Wade or Ward it really has nothing to do with the story. In fact if the treasure ever existed the government in some form or another, would have removed it. I have heard that they can detect large quantities of gold and silver from out of space. We are to busy knit picking to see what the objective is. For me it solving the codes, which was also hand set.

Carrying on.

P.S. J. B. Ward was the Librarian of Congress at Washington D. C., who recorded the registration of the book. While there I found copies of hand written letters to Jackson from Captain T. J. Beale. You would be surprised at what you can find there. Everything is going digital. I even down loaded a copy of the original book and saved myself fifty cents.

Someone here has a thread posting about the letters to Jackson about the military road rebuild. Cap Thomas Beale Sr of New Orleans.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"How about a document or letter to verify Beale as a spy for Jackson?"

Franklin, wasn't a book written about that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread