jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Roanoke times. (Roanoke, Va.), 20 Jan. 1893.

Untitleda.jpg
Untitledb.jpg
Untitledc.jpg
Untitledd.jpg
Untitlede.jpg
Untitledf.jpg
Untitledg.jpg
Untitledh.jpg
Untitledi.jpg
Untitledj.jpg
Untitledk.jpg
Untitledl.jpg

The Roanoke times. (Roanoke, Va.) 1890-1895, January 20, 1893, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Speaking of Robert Morriss makes this little article interesting to me if the same Morriss :laughing7: or his son maybe

The Roanoke times. (Roanoke, Va.), 20 July 1893.

Untitled1a.jpg

The Roanoke times. (Roanoke, Va.) 1890-1895, July 20, 1893, Page 5, Image 5 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Only Mention of Thomas J. Beale also unrelated but figure I'd include

The daily dispatch. (Richmond [Va.]), 25 May 1884.

Untitledvv.jpg
Untitledww.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the same Spelling of Robert Morriss can be found throu-out the U.s.
[147,374 Historical Documents with Morriss on Ancestry]

in the Loc news papers , One Charged with bunco another suing over Millions of acres in N.Y. I Believe :tongue3:
I just decided to just stick to the Roanoke . As I didn't know when he died
or where

Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting that the published story has embellished the tale further to include "boxes of gold and sliver." :laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
the same Spelling of Robert Morriss can be found throu-out the U.s.
[147,374 Historical Documents with Morriss on Ancestry]

in the Loc news papers , One Charged with bunco another suing over Millions of acres in N.Y. I Believe :tongue3:
I just decided to just stink to the Roanoke . As I didn't know when he died
or where

Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

j/pa; RM died at the home of his niece in 1863; will get info, or franklin may have it...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting that the published story has embellished the tale further to include "boxes of gold and sliver." :laughing7:

being this one was published over a hundred years ago, I'd say it's closer to the original story
then anything posted in books, TV or the internet from other sources recently.

I still have hard time believing the code saying what was buried, was easy to break.
but the other two were not. that in itself sounds fishy to me.

I would be more inclined to believe the code saying who gets to share would be easiest. and that it would take them to decode the others.
this would keep the treasure safer .

I think Beale may have scammed Morriss somehow & when
the men never showed, he eventually decided to try & get his money back
by adding to the story, & selling the codes
because he needed cash & tried to get his money back

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
being this one was published over a hundred years ago, I'd say it's closer to the original story
then anything posted in books, TV or the internet from other sources recently.

I still have hard time believing the code saying what was buried, was easy to break.
but the other two were not. that in itself sounds fishy to me.

I would be more inclined to believe the code saying who gets to share would be easiest. and that it would take them to decode the others.
this would keep the treasure safer .

I think Beale may have scammed Morriss somehow & when
the men never showed, he eventually decided to try & get his money back
by adding to the story, & selling the codes
because he needed cash & tried to get his money back

Well, MY question is... does the 2nd Beale Cipher (DOI) REALLY give us what was "decoded"... OR! Was it just a "PLANT"...? SO... !!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original source of the tale never mentions "boxes of gold and silver" but rather it claims the wealth was packed in iron pots. So I think the article is good example of how things can get quickly distorted and embellished. Years later local authors/researchers would produce materials claiming to have seen the iron box and its contents and yet they all failed to provide any evidence to those "profitable claims" - despite being fully aware of the importance in producing that evidence. So is there any truth in the tale at all? I think we need to tread carefully before deciding what we should and shouldn't believe.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Only Mention of Thomas J. Beale also unrelated but figure I'd include.."

Could be it is very related.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Robert Morris died at the home of David Saunders and his wife, Rosalyn. Rosalyn was Robert Morris' niece. There is a street named Roslin in Lynchburg City today could be the street where Robert Morris died?

That is correct franklin; I have been on that street; VERY short street... NO old homes. On a ridge above several old Tobacco Warehouses; one collapsed last year & ppl were buying the old bricks, to have a piece of OLD Lynchburg, Va. history.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original source of the tale never mentions "boxes of gold and silver" but rather it claims the wealth was packed in iron pots. So I think the article is good example of how things can get quickly distorted and embellished. Years later local authors/researchers would produce materials claiming to have seen the iron box and its contents and yet they all failed to provide any evidence to those "profitable claims" - despite being fully aware of the importance in producing that evidence. So is there any truth in the tale at all? I think we need to tread carefully before deciding what we should and shouldn't believe.

:icon_thumleft:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The "boxes of gold and silver" statement's origin came from a book review of the BEALE PAPERS that appeared in the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN, April 10, 1885-Page 1, Column 3.
That book review also mentioned that the treasure was buried by "several miners in 1828".
These discrepancies could be regarded as simple errors by a newspaper writer...except this writer of this piece was John William Sherman- James Beverly Ward's cousin who set the type and printed the Beale Papers at the VIRGINIA PRINT SHOP.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "boxes of gold and silver" statement's origin came from a book review of the BEALE PAPERS that appeared in the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN, April 10, 1885-Page 1, Column 3.
That book review also mentioned that the treasure was buried by "several miners in 1828".
These discrepancies could be regarded as simple errors by a newspaper writer...except this writer of this piece was John William Sherman- James Beverly Ward's cousin who set the type and printed the Beale Papers at the VIRGINIA PRINT SHOP.

John William Sherman did not set the type.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Who then set the type and John William Sherman would have proof read the copy before the type was set.
Still, that doesn't explain the obvious errors in his book review, the boxes not iron pots, the miners, the 1828 date.
Its as if it was further confirmation that the Beale Papers was not about a real treasure, but just a story.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who then set the type and John William Sherman would have proof read the copy before the type was set.
Still, that doesn't explain the obvious errors in his book review, the boxes not iron pots, the miners, the 1828 date.
Its as if it was further confirmation that the Beale Papers was not about a real treasure, but just a story.

Your post only proves that John William Sherman did not write the "Beale Papers"

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
After speaking with James Beverly Ward's grandson, Gorham Walker, Lt Thomas Fawcett stated in his April 30, 1949 report to Col William Friedman, "Undoubtedly Mr Ward was the true author of the Beale Papers...unanswered is the question as to why he wrote the story".
James Beverly Ward, as Fawcett concluded, was the prime author of the Beale Papers, but he probably had input from immediate family, his wife Harriet, cousins Hutter and Sherman, and longtime trusted friend, Max Guggenheimer.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I apolgize if this question has been covered before as I know little about the post Beale pamplet publication period or the Hart connection.

Who or what was the source of the information in the Roanoke Newspaper of 1893 (Article posted by Jeff)

I initially thought it was the Hart Brother's (from Roanoke) but they didn't get involved with the story until 1897 and didn't contact Ward until 1903.

It seems to closely follow the story in the Beale pamplet? Even though the Hart's were from Roanoke they apparently weren't aware of the article?

It seems that the story was pretty familiar to a lot of people in 1893 (Certainly the readers of the Roanoke newspaper.)

It just struck me as strange.

Did a Roanoke reporter simply run across a copy of the pamplet and decide to write the story and the Harts had never heard this account until they began researching? That may be the simplest answer?

Garry

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The wife of John William Sherman, work at the Roanoke Times and was responsible for that "human interest" story about the Beale Papers, which makes the "James B WADE" typo interesting.
It is a very basic retelling of the story narrative contained in the pages of the 1885 Beale Papers, no new revelations.
John William Sherman was James Beverly Ward's cousin, and printed the Beale Papers at the Virginia Print Shop.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread