Bigpoopscoops Summation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"CHARLIE DID IT" I forgot reading that about the dime novel he wrote. I thought it was referring to Sherman?
See "Post" # 13... WHERE did YOU get info about Charles W. Button...? ANYWAY... Charlie MAY have written it as a COVER-STORY... dunno.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... As a result of this treaty all Spanish possessions were to be returned/retained to/by Spain. Any means of illegal wealth that was acquired in those Spanish provinces prior to the territory becoming US territory would have qualified. So, what to do in 1818 when you learned of this treaty? Simply relocating that wealth into eastern US banks would not have protected this wealth from rightful Spanish claims...
Are you referring to the Jean Lafitte/ Galveston Theory as the basis of the Beale Papers?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"CHARLIE DID IT" I forgot reading that about the dime novel he wrote. I thought it was referring to Sherman?
"He (Charles William Button) ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the DAILY VIRGINIAN t one of his sub-editors who has earlier written a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend about a horde of gold buried in Bedford".
-Joe Stinnett: THE NEWS & ADVANCE, April 15, 2015
The reference was about sub-editor, John William Sherman.
It is interesting to note, that THE NEWS & ADVANCE is the same newspaper that had Martha Rivers Adams interview with Adeline Ward McVeigh, where Mrs McVeigh stated that her father, James Beverly Ward, was the author of the Beale Papers.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"He (Charles William Button) ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the DAILY VIRGINIAN t one of his sub-editors who has earlier written a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend about a horde of gold buried in Bedford".
-Joe Stinnett: THE NEWS & ADVANCE, April 15, 2015
The reference was about sub-editor, John William Sherman.
It is interesting to note, that THE NEWS & ADVANCE is the same newspaper that had Martha Rivers Adams interview with Adeline Ward McVeigh, where Mrs McVeigh stated that her father, James Beverly Ward, was the author of the Beale Papers.
HA! THAT wasn't the quote... the BIZZARE interlude was writing a DIME NOVEL "that may have sparked the Beale treasure legend about a hoard of GOLD buried in Bedford" (County), Va. HENCE, NO real Treasure (on "face value")... YET! Could STILL be a COVER STORY... dunno; need MORE R & I on CWB! See "Post" # 13...

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you referring to the Jean Lafitte/ Galveston Theory as the basis of the Beale Papers?

It wouldn't matter what the source may have been, Galveston Island, 30 adventurers, or some other source, the same potential threat would exist. Any possible source would only be a theory, but the potential threat wasn't/isn't just theory.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Data. Loads and loads and years of data. In all of this compiled data two things kept becoming apparent that many of you have heard me say time and time again, and for a number of years, the following opinions;

A) if the story holds any measure of truth then the author knew a great deal more about the alleged events then he was disclosing.
B) if the story holds any measure of truth then something in Richmond Virginia played a vital role in the detailed events.

These are two opinions that I have been openly sharing for a number of years.

The data, and these two opinions based on all of that data, how ironic and profound is it that both of these eventually lead to an alderman in Jackson Ward, in Richmond, named Thomas J. Beale? This is pretty darn profound by anyone's standards.

Now, and here comes that big “if” again....but “if” this Thomas J. Beale would turn out to be the right Thomas Beale, and I'm not saying for sure just yet that he is, but if he is then what does that tell us about all of the data that ultimately led us to him?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Data. Loads and loads and years of data. In all of this compiled data two things kept becoming apparent that many of you have heard me say time and time again, and for a number of years, the following opinions;

A) if the story holds any measure of truth then the author knew a great deal more about the alleged events then he was disclosing.
B) if the story holds any measure of truth then something in Richmond Virginia played a vital role in the detailed events.

These are two opinions that I have been openly sharing for a number of years.

The data, and these two opinions based on all of that data, how ironic and profound is it that both of these eventually lead to an alderman in Jackson Ward, in Richmond, named Thomas J. Beale? This is pretty darn profound by anyone's standards.

Now, and here comes that big “if” again....but “if” this Thomas J. Beale would turn out to be the right Thomas Beale, and I'm not saying for sure just yet that he is, but if he is then what does that tell us about all of the data that ultimately led us to him?

HA! Charles W. Button of his newspaper in Lynchburg, Va. CONFEDERATE WAR "era" DID IT!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Just "google" For good and bad, Civil War Editor was Man of his times. THIS is "telling"... "He ended his newspaper career with a BIZZARE interlude in which earlier written a DIME NOVEL that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend about a hoard of GOLD buried in Bedford (County)". WHOO!

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
HA! THAT wasn't the quote...
The quote I employed was from Joe Stinnett's article from the April 18,2015 edition of THE NEWS & ADVANCE.
The quote on post#13 appears to have been edited from Stinnett's, changing the content to make it appear that Button, not a "sub-editor" wrote the Beale Papers.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The quote I employed was from Joe Stinnett's article from the April 18,2015 edition of THE NEWS & ADVANCE.
The quote on post#13 appears to have been edited from Stinnett's, changing the content to make it appear that Button, not a "sub-editor" wrote the Beale Papers.

Hmmm... just took it from my copy of it; MAY have missed a line, dunno; will review the "on-line" article again... THANKS!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the problem with all of the second hand information floating about out there, it just can't be trusted. As Tat and I continued to dive into all of those various private paper collections we learned quickly that many of the curators of these collections were extremely protective of the ideals and personas that had been shaped around these various individuals.

Look at it this way, even today we celebrate people like Elvis and James Dean and these communities go to great length to avoid the subject of substance abuse because in reality folks are really celebrating two known drug abusers. The negative lights are never allowed to be cast even though they are a part of this same history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread