The Many Avenues Taken

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the following, and much more, represent the many avenues of research taken up over the years, for those who are curious. It is through several of these avenues that many others have been encountered and pursued during this research, and still are. Perhaps in just these references you might notice many of the issues/subjects having been referenced over the years. :thumbsup:

PS: These summaries are not the result of my research, but that of many scholars and noted historians. One might ask themselves just how they know all of this since they generally require documented sources when arriving at these summaries. Apparently, there must be a lot more source materials out there then most are aware of.

The Laffite Society in Galveston Texas - Relative

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
At least it comes with the disclaimer, "the accuracy of none of the material is guaranteed".

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least it comes with the disclaimer, "the accuracy of none of the material is guaranteed".

I'll tell you what I suspect, and I have not discussed this with him in any manner whatsoever. I think Jean has discovered that there is "absolutely no doubt" that at least one Thomas Beale and Jean Laffite held association. And I'll even go one step further and say that this is one of the reasons why he was so determined to get a fix on the right Thomas Beale and to try to sort out certain difficulties/discrepancies that exist in doing this. And last, some of his avenues taken in arriving at some of this is right in front of you. If I'm wrong, well, I'm betting that I soon won't be. And that's all I got to say about it. :thumbsup:

Oh, and PS: He's discovered all of this through a process of record and documentation.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'll tell you what I suspect, and I have not discussed this with him in any manner whatsoever. I think Jean has discovered that there is "absolutely no doubt" that at least one Thomas Beale and Jean Laffite held association. And I'll even go one step further and say that this is one of the reasons why he was so determined to get a fix on the right Thomas Beale and to try to sort out certain difficulties/discrepancies that exist in doing this. And last, some of his avenues taken in arriving at some of this is right in front of you. If I'm wrong, well, I'm betting that I soon won't be. And that's all I got to say about it. :thumbsup:

Oh, and PS: He's discovered all of this through a process of record and documentation.
Jean, Capt. Thomas Beale, Sr. (Beale's Rifles), AND Capt. Pascal Buford (Artillery) PROBABLY did know one another, as they ALL were in the Battle of New Orleans with Gen. Andrew Jackson; they MAY have even "spilled the wine" together in the FRENCH QUARTER... dunno.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I think Jean has discovered that there is "absolutely no doubt" that at least one Thomas Beale and Jean Laffite held association...
As you like to mention, that been covered many times over on several threads.
They knew each other from the Battle of New Orleans, as Rebel-KGC noted, and Lafitte and Thomas Beale of the Uptown Plantation and Planters & Merchant Hotel on 15 Canal Street, shared the same lawyer, John Randolph Grymes, 99 Canal Street. Grymes represented Celeste Beale during in court against Chloe Delaney's claims concerning the Beale estate.
With that stated, there is no substantial evidence linking Lafitte to the 1885 Beale Papers, or that the New Orleans Thomas Beale is the actual real Beale character of the pamphlet other tan the use of the name.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you like to mention, that been covered many times over on several threads.
They knew each other from the Battle of New Orleans, as Rebel-KGC noted, and Lafitte and Thomas Beale of the Uptown Plantation and Planters & Merchant Hotel on 15 Canal Street, shared the same lawyer, John Randolph Grymes, 99 Canal Street. Grymes represented Celeste Beale during in court against Chloe Delaney's claims concerning the Beale estate.
With that stated, there is no substantial evidence linking Lafitte to the 1885 Beale Papers, or that the New Orleans Thomas Beale is the actual real Beale character of the pamphlet other tan the use of the name.

Yes, that is one possible connection, but have you really looked over that Laffite timeline I posted in another thread? Perhaps you should, and very closely.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that is one possible connection, but have you really looked over that Laffite timeline I posted in another thread? Perhaps you should, and very closely.
The timeline that states "the accuracy of none of the material is guaranteed"?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you obviously have it all figured out, who was Thomas "J" Beale? :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell us, Bigscoop, who was the real Thomas "J" Beale?

No. No. You're the guy who claims to have this fictional novel for parlor entertainment all figured out, not me. So tell us, is there no significant difference between Thomas Beale and Thomas J. Beale? You have the floor......:thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that do not know the difference.

The distinction is simply this,.....there was no local Thomas Beale with the middle initial of "J".
Hence, different Thomas Beale, one with a middle initial of "J". Pretty darn basic. R&I 101. :thumbsup:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The distinction is simply this,.....there was no local Thomas Beale with the middle initial of "J".
Hence, different Thomas Beale, one with a middle initial of "J". Pretty darn basic. R&I 101. :thumbsup:
All we have in the PAMPHLET letters is "TJB".

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What is curious in all of this is how the Harts arrived at, "Jefferson?"
In the title of the Hart Papers, George L Hart employed the word "surmise".
Reckon he surmised Jefferson like you surmised the Lafitte mention of "Sherman" as Mathew "Mexico" Sherman to connect Laflin's Lafitte memoirs to Ward's 1885 Beale Papers.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
How did you surmise Mathew "Mexico" Sherman from Sherman in Laflin's Lafitte memoirs?
:dontknow: Probably will never know.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you surmise Mathew "Mexico" Sherman from Sherman in Laflin's Lafitte memoirs?
:dontknow: Probably will never know.

You'll eventually know. Have you got The Pirates Laffite on order yet. Several hundred referenced source materials just waiting for you to explore. A lot of good stuff here, you'll be enlightened a little bit more on Patterson and his involvement with some of the elements referenced. There's often a lot more to a book then just its cover. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread