The Laffite Memoirs in Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Memoirs, they are a source material that just seems to drive some people over the edge, and yet it really shouldn't. Far too many people are focused on the accusations that the memoirs are a forgery instead of focusing their attention on the potential accuracy of the information within. So allow me to offer you some hard earned background as it pertains to most of these accusations.

When I first became aware of the memoirs I was just like everyone else, not sure if I should take anything in the memoirs as accurate or not. So over the course of a few years I often held exchanges with many of the people who were intimately familiar with the text. Sure enough, many of them felt that memoirs were a forgery, even concluding as much in their various writings, while yet others remained undecided. Interesting but not nearly the overwhelming opinion that I was hoping for. Why? Keep reading.

Of those who felt that the memoirs were a decided forgery I often encountered circumstances during our exchanges that still allowed these decided forgery opinions to leave the door open, and when asked why I often got replies like, “Well, we just can't be 100% sure,” or “because of some of the information in the memoirs as we just can't explain how Laflin came to know about these details,” and this sort of thing. So it became very clear to me that even a lot of the decided forgery folks still weren't apparently all that committed to their opinions and conclusions for the type of reasons I just explained, even though many had prior presented their conclusions as a matter of decided fact. So there you go, the blunt of it all, just as it has played out over the years. I can tell straight up, that there are still those within the Laffite society and those at Sam Huston who are still open to the possibilities. And that's a fact. Begs the question, why the reluctance to commit all the way?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I can tell straight up, that there are still those within the Laffite society and those at Sam Houston who are still open to the possibilities. And that's a fact. Begs the question, why the reluctance to commit all the way?
It may be because of the entries dated after 1823, when Lafitte was claimed to have faked his death, moved to St Louis, married Emma Mortimer, met with Marx & Engles because he supported their views, and died in 1854.
That would be a definite reason for their reluctance, in addition to that John Laflin also forged several "historical" documents for profit.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be because of the entries dated after 1823, when Lafitte was claimed to have faked his death, moved to St Louis, married Emma Mortimer, met with Marx & Engles because he supported their views, and died in 1854.
That would be a definite reason for their reluctance, in addition to that John Laflin also forged several "historical" documents for profit.

Talk to them. That's all I can suggest.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Will they confirm that Lafitte faked his death, moved to St Louis, married Emma Mortimer, met with Marx & Engles and died in 1854?
Or will they say that part of Laflin's Lafitte memoirs are accurate but other parts are not?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will they confirm that Lafitte faked his death, moved to St Louis, married Emma Mortimer, met with Marx & Engles and died in 1854?
Or will they say that part of Laflin's Lafitte memoirs are accurate but other parts are not?

Talk to several of them. Ask the appropriate questions. Read the recently referenced source, investigate those referenced source materials. Quit asking others to make determinations and conclusions from all of these sources for you. :thumbsup:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk to several of them. Ask the appropriate questions. Read the recently referenced source, investigate those referenced source materials. Quit asking others to make determinations and conclusions from all of these sources for you. :thumbsup:
Another evasive reply as usual.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another evasive reply as usual.

It's not evasive in any way whatsoever. In other words, no matter what I post you seem to think I'm making it all up, so,.....take the time, do the required R&I and find out for yourself. I've even given you a great place to start with hundreds of referenced source materials. You obviously have the time. :thumbsup: Of course, you will have to exit your romantic comfort zone but nothing I can do about that.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Bigscoop, I do not believe you are making it all up, but I do think you are forcing "fact" in to fit your theory, or should I say theories, now that you have included an alderman from Richmond's Jackson Ward into the mix.
You have piled speculation upon speculation without a solid foundation of proof for your claims that connect any of said claims directly to Ward's 1885 Beale Papers.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, I do not believe you are making it all up, but I do think you are forcing "fact" in to fit your theory, or should I say theories, now that you have included an alderman from Richmond's Jackson Ward into the mix.
You have piled speculation upon speculation without a solid foundation of proof for your claims that connect any of said claims directly to Ward's 1885 Beale Papers.

"Read the referenced book, explore those referenced source materials, learn about the association." It's all documented and a matter of record.

Claiming that Ward was the author is not documented, only suggested by his daughter who is clearly assuming. Claiming that the book is shaped around the Risque bloodline is not documented, it is only assumed by forcing piled up speculation into one's pet theory without a solid foundation of proof. Placing absolute identity on Clay, Coles, Witcher, Jackson is pure speculation with no conclusive proof of those identities, etc., etc., etc. I don't know that I've met anyone who simply refuses to apply his own rules/logic to himself?

And to correct you once again, I have only suggested, and based on the comparisons already presented, that Thomas J. Beale of Jackson Ward, Richmond, Virginia, "is worth investigating." Where have I included him in my theory? :dontknow: No doubt you are a creative expert on the fiction angles. :laughing7:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions