CODEBREAKER COMMENTS ABOUT BEALE CIPHERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will take a lot of time through inter-library loans and then several trips to view microfilm but it's not impossible and yes I will post it. May be near Christmas before I can find it again.

I will say this much, I remember what the article said but I can not prove it without the newspaper article. I know what it said and I know it was true but no one else will believe it.

The party left out from Woodstock. Where was Thomas Beale, Sr. born? Near Woodstock.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"lies rather beyond the range of possibility"- Col George Fabyan
"diabolical ingenuity, specifically designed to lure the unwary reader"- William Friedman
"nothing more or less than a hoax"- Elizabeth Smith Friedman
"the Beale treasure is likely to be a hoax, invented by whomever authored the Beale Papers"-
Dr Todd Mateer

Said all the people that failed to do the work that there reputation said they could do .

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Said all the people that failed to do the work that there reputation said they could do .
...and on what do you base that observation?
...considering that they are "authentic statements".

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I will say this much, I remember what the article said but I can not prove it without the newspaper article. I know what it said and I know it was true but no one else will believe it.

The party left out from Woodstock. Where was Thomas Beale, Sr. born? Near Woodstock.
Yes, Woodstock, Va. is in the Shenandoah Valley, south of Winchester, Va. Yes, Thomas Beale, Sr. was stated to have been born, in the Shenandoah Valley; so was I... know S.V. WELL!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Woodstock, Va. is in the Shenandoah Valley, south of Winchester, Va. Yes, Thomas Beale, Sr. was stated to have been born, in the Shenandoah Valley; so was I... know S.V. WELL!

If you can find copies of the newspapers from that area in 1817 you may find some of the names of the Beale Party. Whether TJB Sr. was the man or not whether he died in 1820 or not is irrelevant as it could have been a cousin or nephew with the same name? Stranger things have happened.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Somewhere in my notes is an article about the Lynchburg descendants of Coles, Clay, and Witcher objecting to their ancestors names being used in a common dime novel...
There is a brief mention of this at the CONCLUSION:
Page 20

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If you can find copies of the newspapers from that area in 1817 you may find some of the names of the Beale Party. Whether TJB Sr. was the man or not whether he died in 1820 or not is irrelevant as it could have been a cousin or nephew with the same name? Stranger things have happened.
Shenandoah County, Va.; Woodstock, Va. is where, it's at... MAY be a Reference Section in the Woodstock, Va. Library. It IS the "County Seat"...

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
My maternal grandmother was also born in the Shenandoah Valley. :icon_thumright:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
There is a brief mention of this at the CONCLUSION:
Page 20
Robert Ward did a nice job on the BEALE MANUSCRIPT mentioned on page 20; "The LAST Haunting of Edgar Allen Poe" is 'Poe's Preferences' contained in THE BEALE PAPERS. NO doubt that EAP "influenced" the Pamphlet... HOWEVER! EAP DID NOT write it. EAP was a student at Mr. Jefferson's University (UVA). EAP lived in Room 13 on "THE LAWN"; been there! NICE room... a bed, fire place, writing table; PLENTY of "drinking places" near-by on "THE CORNER"... HEH!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Robert Ward did a nice job on the BEALE MANUSCRIPT mentioned on page 20; "The LAST Haunting of Edgar Allen Poe" is 'Poe's Preferences' contained in THE BEALE PAPERS. NO doubt that EAP "influenced" the Pamphlet... HOWEVER! EAP DID NOT write it. EAP was a student at Mr. Jefferson's University (UVA). EAP lived in Room 13 on "THE LAWN"; been there! NICE room... a bed, fire place, writing table; PLENTY of "drinking places" near-by on "THE CORNER"... HEH!

Poe was familiar/experienced with most any aspect of papers.
From editing, to newspapers, to cryptic codes ect.
Always easy to find a headscratcher about him.
Here's another quote.

[Lewis’s & send for you. It will be better for me not to go to Fordham — don‘t you think so? Write immediately in reply & direct to Phila. For fear I should not get the letter, sign no name & address it to E. S. T. Grey Esqr. . . . ]

For a man with no money 99% or so of the time.
He seemed to have had it in 1848 or 49 (?) to no known avail.

Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore - General Topics - The Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Poe's 1841 article, "A Few Words On Secret Writing" and "The Gold Bug" and Dr William Blair's "Writing In Cipher" influenced the job pamphlet, which were sold at Lynchburg's WARD & DIGGS BOOKSTORE.

O

Old Silver

Was Poe related to the other "conspirators" in the making of the Beale papers?:laughing7:

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"Few persons can be made to believe that it is not quite an easy thing to invent a method of secret writing which shall baffle investigation. Yet it may be roundly asserted that human ingenuity cannot concoct a cipher which human ingenuity cannot resolve".- EDGAR ALLEN POE
In over 130 years, "human ingenuity" has not been able to resolve C1 & C3, in spite of the proffered DOI "solved" C3.
Government codebreakers and super codebreaking computers have all been employed to no avail.
Which leads to the obvious conclusion that C1 & C3 are NOT true ciphers containing a real message.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
When Poe was a student at Mr. Jefferson's University, he PROBABLY studied the VARIOUS Codes of Thomas Jefferson... I can indicate where I found info on those codes for ALL. Alderman Library at UVA has the TJ's Books/Papers, in the basement... I was in there, MANY times (LOVE the scent of old books & papers). LOVE stacks BABY! Heh! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Few persons can be made to believe that it is not quite an easy thing to invent a method of secret writing which shall baffle investigation. Yet it may be roundly asserted that human ingenuity cannot concoct a cipher which human ingenuity cannot resolve".- EDGAR ALLEN POE
In over 130 years, "human ingenuity" has not been able to resolve C1 & C3, in spite of the proffered DOI "solved" C3.
Government codebreakers and super codebreaking computers have all been employed to no avail.
Which leads to the obvious conclusion that C1 & C3 are NOT true ciphers containing a real message.
You are CORRECT about C1 & C3...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A VISION: EAP is in his room on THE LAWN (# 13), it is a DARK & STORMY NIGHT with thunder & lightning... he is at his desk, fire in the Fire-place... NO women; a candle & his "fave" drink at hand (was it COFFEE...?).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
As the candle on his desk burns, he is BUSY studying TJ's Codes from the manuscripts left behind; and EAP & TJ left "clues" behind for us ALL. "Google" A FEW WORDS ON SECRET WRITING by Edgar A. Poe. Pay attention to the 1st paragraph... SECRET WRITING is KEY!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread