Primary Interest:
Other

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"lies rather beyond the range of possibility"- Col George Fabyan
"diabolical ingenuity, specifically designed to lure the unwary reader"- William Friedman
"nothing more or less than a hoax"- Elizabeth Smith Friedman
"the Beale treasure is likely to be a hoax, invented by whomever authored the Beale Papers"-
Dr Todd Mateer

How is that Celeste Beale Diary coming along.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Is that The Enigmatist has also claimed to have solved the Beale ciphers and has a book currently for sale.
It's a "Masonic" thing... will get it; don't know if he is a Freemason; if he IS, Grand Lodge of Virginia MAY get him...

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"lies rather beyond the range of possibility"- Col George Fabyan
"diabolical ingenuity, specifically designed to lure the unwary reader"- William Friedman
"nothing more or less than a hoax"- Elizabeth Smith Friedman
"the Beale treasure is likely to be a hoax, invented by whomever authored the Beale Papers"-
Dr Todd Mateer
While not a code breaker, Dr Clarence Williams, a LIBRARY of CONGRESS researcher, when asked 10 1934 to research the validity of the treasure story, stated," To me, the pamphlet story has all the earmarks of a fake...no evidence save the word of the unknown author of the pamphlet that he ever has the papers".
Around the same time, codebreaker, Elizabeth Smith Friedman, mentioned above, concluded that the Beale Papers and ciphers should be considered" in the same light as the myriad treasure maps which are sold in the Southern states purporting to come down from pirate days".

O

Old Silver

On TN Beale threads there are FOUR claims of the solved ciphers- all are different.
Are any the "true" correct solution?

Sort of the same thing I'm asking you about how many people constitute THE author of the Beale Papers. Only one of the people you cite could possibly be correct.

O

Old Silver

While not a code breaker, Dr Clarence Williams, a LIBRARY of CONGRESS researcher, when asked 10 1934 to research the validity of the treasure story, stated," To me, the pamphlet story has all the earmarks of a fake...no evidence save the word of the unknown author of the pamphlet that he ever has the papers".
Around the same time, codebreaker, Elizabeth Smith Friedman, mentioned above, concluded that the Beale Papers and ciphers should be considered" in the same light as the myriad treasure maps which are sold in the Southern states purporting to come down from pirate days".

Notice Dr Clarence Williams said, "TO ME..."

Do you suppose these people have to be right just because they are code breakers or doctors? There are other code breakers who say they believe the Beale story is true. Does that make it true? No, it doesn't, just like the opinions of those you cite doesn't make it false.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Then from THE HART PAPERS:
"That Ward, by accident as he suggests succeeded in finding the key to Cipher No 2...created a suspicion that the story might have been made up instead of founded on fact".
Somewhere in my notes is an article about the Lynchburg descendants of Coles, Clay, and Witcher objecting to their ancestors names being used in a common dime novel.
It may be possible that Franklin or Rebel-KGC possess further information on this.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then from THE HART PAPERS:
"That Ward, by accident as he suggests succeeded in finding the key to Cipher No 2...created a suspicion that the story might have been made up instead of founded on fact".
Somewhere in my notes is an article about the Lynchburg descendants of Coles, Clay, and Witcher objecting to their ancestors names being used in a common dime novel.
It may be possible that Franklin or Rebel-KGC possess further information on this.

Sorry I don't have that information. Wish I did. I have information I have been trying to find. I may have to re-order the information from the source I used years ago. I found an expedition heading out west from Virginia in 1817, but it did not list any names so I thought it wasn't relevant. But after further research it ties in with other genealogical research and I wish I had a copy of it. I will re-order.

O

Old Silver

Sorry I don't have that information. Wish I did. I have information I have been trying to find. I may have to re-order the information from the source I used years ago. I found an expedition heading out west from Virginia in 1817, but it did not list any names so I thought it wasn't relevant. But after further research it ties in with other genealogical research and I wish I had a copy of it. I will re-order.

I would like to see that info. of expedition heading out west from Virginia in 1817. I hope you post it if you get it.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will take a lot of time through inter-library loans and then several trips to view microfilm but it's not impossible and yes I will post it. May be near Christmas before I can find it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions