HOW AND BY WHOM WAS THE BEALE EXPEDITION FINANCED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The entire basis of the Beale Papers and the treasure vault is the buffalo hunt and the discovery of gold. If hunting buffalo was the original main goal, as stated in the job pamphlet, why would 30 Americans venture into Spanish territory where they likely be caught and imprisoned by a hostile government rather hunt for buffalo in the Plaines closer to St Louis?
The Beale Papers state that the hunting company was formed and Thomas Beale was "elected" as Captain. Who formed the company and provided the capital to fund this expedition?
If the buffalo hunt was the purpose of this expedition, it is doubtful that the men would pack mining equipment.
The Beale story relates that "friendly Indians" helped the Beale Party mine the gold and silver.
From all accounts from the 1820's, the Native Americans were not that friendly to either the Spanish or other intruders onto their land.
There are many holes in the hunting story which is the entire foundation of the 1885 Beale Papers, and by the very fact that no outside collaboration exists to confirm this "expedition", it renders the entire Beale Papers story suspect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If they were all wealthy young men, they would have left a money trail of buying supplies, shopkeepers talk and gossip.
Also if they were men of means, their long absence from their communities would have been noticed, another source of gossip.
If they had families, they sure would have mentioned their good fortune to wives, girlfriends, and parents, basic human nature.
Yet there was no mention of the Beale adventure until Ward copyrighted and published the Beale Papers in 1885.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A buffalo hunt. Hmm.
Means bigger rifles than used back East.
Hides meant work involved skinning,fleshing and preserving them and saving their great weight for returning East.
Plenty of competition from hide hunters ,if hide selling was the only object of the hunting party. This in a time buffalo were still very prolific.
One buffalo would feed the entire party a while ...so other than the novelty of such a hunt ,why go?
Consider all the options for a well $$$ied group to pursue at the time.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A buffalo hunt. Hmm...
One buffalo would feed the entire party a while ...so other than the novelty of such a hunt ,why go?
Consider all the options for a well $$$ied group to pursue at the time.
The real question is why hunt buffalo in Santa Fe and in Spanish territory where Americans were treated with extreme prejudice.
...and the Native Americans of that part of the country were NOT "friendly Indians".

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The real question is why hunt buffalo in Santa Fe and in Spanish territory where Americans were treated with extreme prejudice.
...and the Native Americans of that part of the country were NOT "friendly Indians".

Must be why they all died after 1822, Yes ?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Native Americans were still NOT "friendly Indians" in 1882 when a band of Native Americans massacred James Beverly Ward's great uncle, John Pickrell Risqué and party while inspecting gold and silver mines at Gold Gulch, Arizona.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
...and what does that have to do with who financed the buffalo hunt?

200,000 dollars wold go to finance the hunt . Like the 200,000 that Captain Thomas J Beale of New Orleans did in a mortgage about 1818 or so .

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
200,000 dollars wold go to finance the hunt . Like the 200,000 that Captain Thomas J Beale of New Orleans did in a mortgage about 1818 or so .
$200,000 would be a major fortune in 1818, and that amount of capital would far exceed funds needed to outfit 30 men for a buffalo hunt.
P.S: Thomas Beale of Uptown Plantation, New Orleans, did not have a "J" as a middle name.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
$200,000 would be a major fortune in 1818, and that amount of capital would far exceed funds needed to outfit 30 men for a buffalo hunt.
P.S: Thomas Beale of Uptown Plantation, New Orleans, did not have a "J" as a middle name.

Are you sure about that Bro ?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was Captain Thomas Jones Beall from Maryland.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
For someone who claims to have solved Beale's C1 & C3 ciphers, Laf, you still can not establish who Thomas Beale of the 1885 job really was.

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to live in Lynchburg as a kid, still have friends there, plus I map dowsed this treasure location. As long as it is native gold ,not coins or bars, I think my location is reasonably good. I have found native placer gold deposits doing this in some creeks, just nothing to jump up and down about yet...might need to have my friends in VA check the spot, see if accessible? Who cares about codes, I sure don't ...

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Captain Thomas J Beale going down the Mississippi River in 1816
Laf, you keep pulling anyone with the name Beale/Beall out of the air to fit your version of the 1885 Beale Papers, but conspicuous by his absence from your never ending Beale search, is E F Beale, whose 1850 BEALE PAPERS were utilized in the creation of Ward's 1885 Beale Papers dime adventure/treasure job pamphlet novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread