A Reasonable Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This just came to me in an email the other day so I thought I would place it on the table for debate.
"If" Morriss knew just about everyone in the region, and "if" he really did play host to to so many distinguishable men of the era, then would not be a reasonable assumption, or a fair likelihood, that he held acquaintance with folks like Jefferson as well?

PS: This may seem a simple assumption but there just might be more to it once we really wrap our heads around the possibilities within the times.

Last edited:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo,:coffee2:I dont believe I have ever posted on this thread before, But,If you honestly believe in the Beale codes,and you want to solve this puzzle,check the grave yard records of st. Louis county mo.for cripts or mausoleums built at the time beale was there,match the dates for moriss and his wife being buried there acording to the dates of deposits made. good luck, thats all I have to say on this subject.NP:cat:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
This just came to me in an email the other day so I thought I would place it on the table for debate.
"If" Morriss knew just about everyone in the region, and "if" he really did play host to to so many distinguishable men of the era, then would not be a reasonable assumption, or a fair likelihood, that he held acquaintance with folks like Jefferson as well?

PS: This may seem a simple assumption but there just might be more to it once we really wrap our heads around the possibilities within the times.
I think that TJ knew Robert MORRIS (MAYOR of Lynchburg, Va. 1813); TJ DID spend time in L'burg, and died in 1826. TJ MAY even known JB Risque (Attorney), who had his plantation/farm south of Poplar Forest, and EAST of New London, Va.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo,:coffee2:I dont believe I have ever posted on this thread before, But,If you honestly believe in the Beale codes,and you want to solve this puzzle,check the grave yard records of st. Louis county mo.for cripts or mausoleums built at the time beale was there,match the dates for moriss and his wife being buried there acording to the dates of deposits made. good luck, thats all I have to say on this subject.NP:cat:

At this point all anyone can really prove is that the adventure portion of the story is a fabrication and that the information regarding the numbering of the ciphers is inaccurate and false. But you do present a fresh take on things and fresh thought is always nice in this arena of dead and worn out avenues. :thumbsup:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thomas Beale was buried in New Orleans, the Morriss's in Lynchburg.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo,:coffee2: everything about this story is simple, with many hints of its location meant for a simple man to understand, thats what moriss was, simple,everyone else just created more confusion ,because people kept adding to it,more letters and more ciphers, that lead no where.it all had a very modest beginning and ending, until other people got a hold of it, Remember treasure is wherever it can be found,but so is the truth,let your spirit guide you,NP:cat:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thomas Beale was buried in New Orleans, the Morriss's in Lynchburg.
Amigo,have some burro juice:coffee2:I agree100% about the Morriss's,so now you have a lot more work to do catching up on what I said.I said match the dates for morriss and his wife being buried there according to the dates of deposit,NP:cat:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If the inn was strategic in travel then a variety of influential persons may have made Morris's acquaintance.
There were stops in a former locale of mine that hosted some dignitaries simply because travel dictated rests eventually.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Morriss allegedly ran the Washington Hotel at the time of the Beale visits according to the Beale Papers text- not the Blackhorse Tavern or Buford's Inn which were on a travel route.
Pascal Buford would have recognized Thomas Beale if he was the Beale from New Orleans because of the Risqué duel and having served with during the Battle of New Orleans.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Amigo,have some burro juice:coffee2:I agree100% about the Morriss's,so now you have a lot more work to do catching up on what I said.I said match the dates for morriss and his wife being buried there according to the dates of deposit,NP:cat:
Morriss died during the "2nd Year of the Confederate War", the deposits were made in the 1820's.
The Beale Papers were published for sale in 1885, based on information Morriss gave to an "unknown" author just before he died.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, did Morriss know Jefferson? Is it a reasonable or likely assumption?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One problem with trying to solve the many mysteries behind the publication is that true believers are going to continue to believe even if they have to toss the entire original source material and write a new one. This, of course, leads to all sorts of confusion and misinformation.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Morriss allegedly ran the Washington Hotel at the time of the Beale visits according to the Beale Papers text- not the Blackhorse Tavern or Buford's Inn which were on a travel route.
Pascal Buford would have recognized Thomas Beale if he was the Beale from New Orleans because of the Risqué duel and having served with during the Battle of New Orleans.
SORRY, WRONG! Robert MORRIS ran the Washington Hotel, built in 1823. Beale stayed at the MORRIS home (indicated in one of TJB's letters).

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY, WRONG! Robert MORRIS ran the Washington Hotel, built in 1823. Beale stayed at the MORRIS home (indicated in one of TJB's letters).

I have the deed where Robert Morris signed a ten year agreement on the Washington Inn. He had to pay over $2,000 a year. The contract started in 1818 and ended in 1828.

This deed is hard to find as there is no index to it. To find the deed I had to go through all of the deed books at Rustburg Courthouse.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
$2,000 a year? That must have been some inn. Probably had a hot tub in every room.

O

Old Silver

Robert Morriss of the Beale story was a half nephew of the Robert Morris from Philadelphia (financier). I think the probability of Robert Morriss (Beal story) having known Jefferson is pretty good.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It is possible that several members of the extended Risqué family bloodline knew Thomas Jefferson.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that perfect chronological order regarding the dates of deposit and the Adams Onis Treaty? There is a letter dated even before the Louisiana Purchase in which Jefferson references that money was being raised in England for the purpose of western exploration. Now give pause for a moment and consider what it really would have taken during this period to have received that kind of intel, and then hold this thought.

Spain, Mexico, England, France, the US, all of them had a stake in the future of the west. By the time the Adams Onis Treaty rolls around France has pretty much forfeited their stake so this left Spain, Mexico, England, and the US, with Spain and the US now having the largest and most obvious stake. But this treaty, and the terms of that treaty, were also very important to both Mexico and England though for different reasons. Mexico was about to gain its independence from Spain so whatever real estate Spain won or lost in the treaty was also likely problems and issues to be inherited by Mexico in the near future, which they were. On the other hand England and the US had grown weary of war and they were now starting to rub shoulders towards commerce and trade, England's concern not just being the threat of America's growing strength but also its own access to the commerce and trade that America's growth and western expansion would likely provide, one of these concerns involving future overland passage from the Pacific into this new market and also into the east, these being the exact same type of passage that the US wanted to create for all of the same reasons. Give yourself some time to ponder the possibilities if at some point the US had decided to quietly leverage its position during the Adams Onis Treaty negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions