Living The Dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let's get down to the real witty-gritty of the Beale paper mystery. Over the years there have been all manner of theories and proposed solutions developed around this mystery but the simple truth to the situation is that we only have one source to begin our research from and that is the original source of the tale, this being the 1885 Beale Pamphlet publication.

Like everyone else when I first started researching the possibilities I did so taking for granted that the story might be true and so my research was likewise focused on possible solutions to the ciphers and a possible solution to the presented mystery. This, I would discover later, was a HUGE and inexperienced mistake.

What I discovered later is that the very first thing that has to be researched is the source itself because if the source isn't accurate or/and honest then one will only spend his time trying to chase down details and events that never existed. Unfortunately, because so many folks want to believe in the narration, there isn't very much accurate and honest information being presented and proposed today. And to add to these inaccuracies, believe it or not many folks simply don't want to hear the truth about the narration because the truth pretty much renders a great deal of the narration as being impossible and simple author fabrications. Obviously the vast majority of these folks simply want to live a mystery and adventure even if that mystery and adventure isn't real. This is why there's so much misinformation and romance surrounding the mystery today.

Having said all of the above it is paramount in any mystery that the details within that mystery become the first priority. The truth can never be found when one is willing to blindly accept that whatever they are told is the gospel truth. Unfortunately people lie and mislead and deceive for a multitude of reasons and everyone is fully aware that treasure stories represent an industry leader in this sort of thing. So why take the narration in the Beale pamphlet for granted as it is a product of this same industry. In fact, the Beasle papers may represent one of the best and most misleading and deceptive treasure tales ever penned because it certainly contains all of the above.

In short, over the years I've discovered that one needs to pick treasure stories apart piece by piece until they have sorted out all of the facts from the fiction, only then can they begin to pursue potential accurate solutions to the mystery. All else is just the blind pursuit of mystery and adventure that can't possibly be accurate, honest, or real. But it is, if nothing else, living the dream.

O

Old Silver

I agree with you, but you also can't determine a story is false just because you can't find supporting evidence. For one thing, information is sometimes found, on different subjects, that supports claims that have been given up as false. Much information is hidden away in dusty corners and holes that people don't visit anymore. I know this by experience. Another thing is, sometimes we find things that shows evidence that a story might be true, but something has been changed within it. This is what I've seen you post about the author, in his attempt to find the missing code paper. I agree with you. And that leaves me to wonder what else might have been changed, like maybe the location of the mine. Just a thought, but if I were trying to keep information secret about a hidden treasure, I think I would also keep secret the exact location it came from, especially since there was more there to get.

Just wondering.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you, but you also can't determine a story is false just because you can't find supporting evidence. For one thing, information is sometimes found, on different subjects, that supports claims that have been given up as false. Much information is hidden away in dusty corners and holes that people don't visit anymore. I know this by experience. Another thing is, sometimes we find things that shows evidence that a story might be true, but something has been changed within it. This is what I've seen you post about the author, in his attempt to find the missing code paper. I agree with you. And that leaves me to wonder what else might have been changed, like maybe the location of the mine. Just a thought, but if I were trying to keep information secret about a hidden treasure, I think I would also keep secret the exact location it came from, especially since there was more there to get.

Just wondering.

OK, let's clarify something here. The issue isn't that the entire story is false, the issue is that we have conclusively proven that some of the details in the story are not true, these being details that we could actually research either by the author's own statements or through historical documents. So why is this important? It's important because it establishes that the author wasn't telling the truth and that he "intentionally mislead" his readers. And why is this significant? Because we have no idea what else he may have lied about, that's why. In essence the author's credibility and the story's credibility has been badly damaged with the remainder also becoming highly suspect, and with good reason.

Knowing that the author intentionally mislead his readers about certain aspects of his tale naturally cast more doubt, not just on his story, but also on his motives for having done so. Why publish an alleged true narration and then insert deceptions at the most critical portions of the tale if you were actually desiring to report a truth? Why create an entire fabrication as to where the wealth came from? Why create an entire fabrication surrounding the numbering of the ciphers? Why tell your readers that you "had no difficulty mastering the others" while also leading them to believe that you hadn't decoded C1 & C3? And finally, why tell your readers that you have critical knowledge regarding a "missing unintelligible piece of paper" that was still required when you have already presented them with a discovered Key that doesn't work? Why offer your readers ciphers that you have clearly gone out of your way to make certain that they could never decode, which is exactly what he has done?

Obviously there can only remain two possibilities, the first being that the story is a complete fabrication, or work of fiction, the second being that he crafted the story for two different audiences, one being the general public and the other being a more specific and targeted audience. These are the only two possibilities that remain now.

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

I think we are saying pretty much the same thing, at least on part of the story. I'm saying, along with you, that if the author misdirected part of the Beale letters and code papers, then what other of them might he have misdirected? And if he misdirected the story in order to keep secret the hidden treasure, then maybe he would do the same concerning where the treasure originally came from (western mine). I'm agreeing with you on this, and wondering if possibly he changed the local of the mine? I posted an article of an incident that happened in TX. in 1823 where a mining party was massacred. Now I'm not saying this was the Beale party, but whoever they were, they were never identified. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we are saying pretty much the same thing, at least on part of the story. I'm saying, along with you, that if the author misdirected part of the Beale letters and code papers, then what other of them might he have misdirected? And if he misdirected the story in order to keep secret the hidden treasure, then maybe he would do the same concerning where the treasure originally came from (western mine). I'm agreeing with you on this, and wondering if possibly he changed the local of the mine? I posted an article of an incident that happened in TX. in 1823 where a mining party was massacred. Now I'm not saying this was the Beale party, but whoever they were, they were never identified. Just something to think about.

Let's start a new thread specifically on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread