Of Robert Morriss

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The common sense I'm referring to is the fact that much of the public in 1885 knew one of two things. They knew that Beale had stayed at Robert Morriss' hotel in the 1820's, or they knew he didn't.
This is not the same thing as not being able to find evidence of something happening, possibly due to so many records being lost, etc. Now if there were people living today who had lived at that time, then there would be a record of more things than we have. But in 1885, those people were still living. You do see the difference, don't you?

I do, which is why I stated before that the total absence of evidence one way or the other is very odd.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

I do, which is why I stated before that the total absence of evidence one way or the other is very odd.

Yes, although we do know that a great deal of records have been destroyed. For instance, I can't find Robert Morriss in the 1860 census. I know he was there, but I can't find it. Other leads I've worked on I couldn't/can't find info on people I know for sure existed. That's just the way it goes with that much passage of time, especially since people back in the day didn't think it so important to keep records like we do today.

But on the point of people knowing if the story had been wrong. Let's say 50 years from now someone comes along and claims that on Sept. 11, 2001 the Whitehouse was destroyed by terrorists and had to be rebuilt. The youngsters might fall for that story (if not for television), because they were not here at the time. But there would be another group who would know better, and they would exposed that story as a lie. Now you have been talking about how intelligent the author of the Beale story was, and I agree he was intelligent. So why do you suppose such an intelligent man would do such a bonehead thing, knowing he would be exposed as false?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Here is Robert Morriss in 1820 Lynchburg. I have found him in 1800 (Maryland), 1810 (Maryland), 1820 (Lynchburg, VA.), 1830 (Lynchburg, VA.), 1840 (Lynchburg, VA.), and 1850 (Lynchburg, VA.) I haven't been able to find him in 1860.

View attachment 1290855
The OTHER 1820 Census had Robert & Sarah MORRIS, THAT "Thread" was deleted b/c of "mistakes"; EH....?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Old Silver

The OTHER 1820 Census had Robert & Sarah MORRIS, THAT "Thread" was deleted b/c of "mistakes"; EH....?

LOL. No, you're thinking of the 1850 census that mentions Sarah. It's still on here as far as I know. Before 1850, only heads of households were named.
In the thread I had deleted I had only mentioned the 1820 census, but I mistakenly posted wrong information, which is why I had it deleted.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Just the same; MY R & I (from VARIOUS sources), indicated the following... Robert MORRIS was mayor of Lynchburg, Va. in 1813. Robert MORRIS was on VARIOUS "City Commitees"/Councils, & on the Board of a bank. He & his wife owned a BIG old HOME (stated to be at the "head" of Main Street, down-town Lynchburg, Va., in the general area of today's TEXAS INN, on 5th Street & Main); they had rooms to "let" to boarders, like TJB... as stated in his May 9th, 1822 letter to RM - "My Esteemed Friend - Ever since leaving my comfortable quarters at your HOME, I have been journeying...". NOW! WASHINGTON HOUSE, WASHINGTON INN, is what I think they named this place in the "era" of 1817-1822. WASHINGTON HOTEL was not built until 1823, with ex-Mayor Robert MORRIS "running it"; he later left, & became manager of the FRANKLIN HOTEL, which was the very FIRST hotel in Lynchburg, Va.; owned by Samuel Harrison, I think... built in 1817, or so. FACTS of REAL HISTORY, in early Lynchburg, Va. BTW, addressed to... "Robt. MORRIS, Esq." RM was not a lawyer, "Esq." was a "Title" given to persons of "High Honor", like a former MAYOR, "back then". Quoted letter from TJB is from a COPY of the ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS Pamphlet in PV's book, THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, p. 32 (p. 11 of the COPY of the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet).

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, although we do know that a great deal of records have been destroyed. For instance, I can't find Robert Morriss in the 1860 census. I know he was there, but I can't find it. Other leads I've worked on I couldn't/can't find info on people I know for sure existed. That's just the way it goes with that much passage of time, especially since people back in the day didn't think it so important to keep records like we do today.

But on the point of people knowing if the story had been wrong. Let's say 50 years from now someone comes along and claims that on Sept. 11, 2001 the Whitehouse was destroyed by terrorists and had to be rebuilt. The youngsters might fall for that story (if not for television), because they were not here at the time. But there would be another group who would know better, and they would exposed that story as a lie. Now you have been talking about how intelligent the author of the Beale story was, and I agree he was intelligent. So why do you suppose such an intelligent man would do such a bonehead thing, knowing he would be exposed as false?

It only matters if one can prove why he did what he did and the way he did it.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin Hotel 1825 newspaper

franklin hotel 1825.jpg

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just the same; MY R & I (from VARIOUS sources), indicated the following... Robert MORRIS was mayor of Lynchburg, Va. in 1813. Robert MORRIS was on VARIOUS "City Commitees"/Councils, & on the Board of a bank. He & his wife owned a BIG old HOME (stated to be at the "head" of Main Street, down-town Lynchburg, Va., in the general area of today's TEXAS INN, on 5th Street & Main); they had rooms to "let" to boarders, like TJB... as stated in his May 9th, 1822 letter to RM - "My Esteemed Friend - Ever since leaving my comfortable quarters at your HOME, I have been journeying...". NOW! WASHINGTON HOUSE, WASHINGTON INN, is what I think they named this place in the "era" of 1817-1822. WASHINGTON HOTEL was not built until 1823, with ex-Mayor Robert MORRIS "running it"; he later left, & became manager of the FRANKLIN HOTEL, which was the very FIRST hotel in Lynchburg, Va.; owned by Samuel Harrison, I think... built in 1817, or so. FACTS of REAL HISTORY, in early Lynchburg, Va. BTW, addressed to... "Robt. MORRIS, Esq." RM was not a lawyer, "Esq." was a "Title" given to persons of "High Honor", like a former MAYOR, "back then". Quoted letter from TJB is from a COPY of the ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS Pamphlet in PV's book, THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, p. 32 (p. 11 of the COPY of the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet).

FRANKLIN HOTEL, which was the very FIRST hotel in Lynchburg,
No, actually there was one other there before the Franklin .

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A quick ancestry search shows several people alive in 1885 who would have been alive, and of age, in 1822. And that's in Lynchburg alone.
...and can you name those who provided information that a Thomas J Beale stayed at the Washington Hotel, or at Buford's while he and his men constructed a treasure vault?
Being alive at that time and providing verification of Beale's stay in Lynchburg and Bedford county are two different things.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009

Rebel,

I'm interested in locating the home of Robert and Sarah Morris. I believe they may have been living in the home you described at the time of the 1850 census and for an unknown period afterward (I would also like to know when this home was purchased but I may be fantasizing) If we knew the exact location we might be able to follow the deed records of this house. It might provide some hint about the status of Robert and Sarah after 1850 (A DEAD area in my chronological timeline until their death in the early 1860s)?

Can you share the source of your info above and it there anything you might be able to add? The Morriss' neighbors in the 1850 census are certainly among the affluent of Lynchburg.

Garry

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ran across these awhile back, havent looked at it more
maybe later this week,ill check into who these MORRIS,
MORRISS, are in bedford co.

1820 census/va/indexes/bedford
BUFORD..............5
BUFORD.............33
BUFORD.............35
MORRIS.............43
MORRISS............17
MORRISS............18
MORRISS............19
MORRISS............20
1820 Census Index: Bedford County, Virginia

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there was another Robert Morris that lived in Bedford County, Virginia. He lived up in Wheat Valley section under the Peaks of Otter. So did Thomas Beale. I have been to both their home sites.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

ran across these awhile back, havent looked at it more
maybe later this week,ill check into who these MORRIS,
MORRISS, are in bedford co.

1820 census/va/indexes/bedford
BUFORD..............5
BUFORD.............33
BUFORD.............35
MORRIS.............43
MORRISS............17
MORRISS............18
MORRISS............19
MORRISS............20
1820 Census Index: Bedford County, Virginia

Post # 34 shows our Robert Morriss in 1820. His name is spelled, Rob Morriss. His name is spelled different in most all census records, but it is the same man.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can that be if the census was taken a person has to live in that county. Robert Morriss of Lynchburg never lived in Bedford County. He lived in Campbell County. If you look at the Civil War Engineers Map in Peter Viemeister's book you will see the Morriss on a map of Bedford County during the Civil War.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

How can that be if the census was taken a person has to live in that county. Robert Morriss of Lynchburg never lived in Bedford County. He lived in Campbell County. If you look at the Civil War Engineers Map in Peter Viemeister's book you will see the Morriss on a map of Bedford County during the Civil War.

That's what the record shows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions