Who Thomas J. Beale Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]"In person, he was about six feet in height, with jet black eyes and hair of the same color, worn longer than was the style at that time. His form was symmetrical, and gave evidence of unusual strength and activity; but his distinguishing feature was a dark and swarthy complexion, as if much exposure to the sun and weather had thoroughly tanned and discolored him; this, however, did not detract from his appearance, and I thought him the handsomest man I had ever seen. Altogether, he was a model of manly beauty, favored by the ladies and envied by men. To the first he was reverentially tender and polite; to the latter, affable and courteous, when they kept within bounds, but, if they were supercilious or presuming, the lion was aroused, and woe to the man who offended him. Instances of this character occurred more than once while he was my guest, and always resulted in his demanding and receiving an apology. His character soon became universally known, and he was no longer troubled by impertinence.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]"Such a man was Thomas J. Beale, as he appeared in 1820, and in his subsequent visit to my house. He registered simply from Virginia, but I am of the impression he was from some western portion of the State. Curiously enough, he never adverted to his family or to his antecedents, nor did I question him concerning them, as I would have done had I dreamed of the interest that in the future would attach to his name."

[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Again, your author is playing with the general public while sending clear message to his targeted audience.[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] [/FONT]Does anyone understand the true meaning in all of the bold & underlined? There is a great deal of information about Thomas Beale in his description. :thumbsup:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times][/FONT]

O

Old Silver

One thing, it says that he registered at the hotel. Do those register records still exist? I have actually found Robert Morriss' census records, including 1820, and while his is the only name there, it does show many people, which has to be the people living in the hotel.

O

Old Silver

"In person, he was about six feet in height, with jet black eyes and hair of the same color, worn longer than was the style at that time. His form was symmetrical, and gave evidence of unusual strength and activity; but his distinguishing feature was a dark and swarthy complexion, as if much exposure to the sun and weather had thoroughly tanned and discolored him; this, however, did not detract from his appearance, and I thought him the handsomest man I had ever seen. Altogether, he was a model of manly beauty, favored by the ladies and envied by men. To the first he was reverentially tender and polite; to the latter, affable and courteous, when they kept within bounds, but, if they were supercilious or presuming, the lion was aroused, and woe to the man who offended him. Instances of this character occurred more than once while he was my guest, and always resulted in his demanding and receiving an apology. His character soon became universally known, and he was no longer troubled by impertinence.

"Such a man was Thomas J. Beale, as he appeared in 1820, and in his subsequent visit to my house. He registered simply from Virginia, but I am of the impression he was from some western portion of the State. Curiously enough, he never adverted to his family or to his antecedents, nor did I question him concerning them, as I would have done had I dreamed of the interest that in the future would attach to his name."

Again, your author is playing with the general public while sending clear message to his targeted audience.Does anyone understand the true meaning in all of the bold & underlined? There is a great deal of information about Thomas Beale in his description. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you're thinking that Beale himself had a wife (or other family), who may have held the letter (key), and the author might be reaching out to her. That would explain such description of Beale.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you're thinking that Beale himself had a wife (or other family), who may have held the letter (key), and the author might be reaching out to her. That would explain such description of Beale.

Nope, and I will eventually post it, however, it is a real BOMB and not very likely what anyone is expecting or will be willing to believe. Your author didn't only tell you who he was, but also where he often resided during the effected period. And this same man even appears in a US census and even identifies himself as such. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

Nope, and I will eventually post it, however, it is a real BOMB and not very likely what anyone is expecting or will be willing to believe. Your author didn't only tell you who he was, but also where he often resided during the effected period. And this same man even appears in a US census and even identifies himself as such. :thumbsup:

Does Pocahontas, VA come into play?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the advantages to studying a writer's style and his passion for language is that it provides us with an inside look into his personal character. Obviously the author of the pamphlet was a highly educated man who possessed a very good understanding of every word he chose to use and also when he chose to use them.

The reason I posted his description of Thomas Beale and the highlighted portions of that description was so that folks could focus on that description and those highlighted segments before I dropped this particular bomb. I assure you, the name Thomas Beale and the author's description of the man was not used without clear intent and design and purpose.

Thomas”; Aramaic Meaning: The name Thomas is an Aramaic baby name. In Aramaic the meaning of the name Thomas is: Twin.

Beale

Meaning
"handsome man"; "fair, beautiful";
Region of origin
England
Now, having been armed with this information and what I posted before regarding the Beale family, perhaps folks should reconsider their prior searches for Thomas Beale and try again.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Beale

In a US census of the effected Beale narration period there is a Thomas Beale who only registers himself as being from China. This same location being in what would have been the "western portion of the state."

The Cox & Beale company was involved in a lot of trade in South America, Beale investing in nearly $800'000 of illicit business affairs with Portuguese partners. Cox & Beale also had business in what is now California, or what would have been Spanish territory in the early 1800's. As for the illicit business with Portuguese investors, you will find there were also Americans involved in these same illicit South American ventures. The Americans made money, Beale became insolvent. This bankruptcy crippled the East India Trading Company as they were holding a great deal of the debt associated with the bankruptcy, this likewise crippling the British position in the west. The Adams Onis Treaty included that portion of Colorado in which both the US and the British saw to be a potential route of vital commerce between the Pacific coast and the Americas in the east. Even before the turn of the century Jefferson voiced great concern over the British presence in the west and their raising of money in England specifically for the exploration towards to the east and an overland route through the mountains to the Mississippi. During the period this would save on having to sail clear around South America and the time and risk associated with such long sea passage. But not only this, in the early stages of this British threat there was also obvious strategic military concerns.

O

Old Silver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Beale

In a US census of the effected Beale narration period there is a Thomas Beale who only registers himself as being from China. This same location being in what would have been the "western portion of the state."

The Cox & Beale company was involved in a lot of trade in South America, Beale investing in nearly $800'000 of illicit business affairs with Portuguese partners. Cox & Beale also had business in what is now California, or what would have been Spanish territory in the early 1800's. As for the illicit business with Portuguese investors, you will find there were also Americans involved in these same illicit South American ventures. The Americans made money, Beale became insolvent. This bankruptcy crippled the East India Trading Company as they were holding a great deal of the debt associated with the bankruptcy, this likewise crippling the British position in the west. The Adams Onis Treaty included that portion of Colorado in which both the US and the British saw to be a potential route of vital commerce between the Pacific coast and the Americas in the east. Even before the turn of the century Jefferson voiced great concern over the British presence in the west and their raising of money in England specifically for the exploration towards to the east and an overland route through the mountains to the Mississippi. During the period this would save on having to sail clear around South America and the time and risk associated with such long sea passage. But not only this, in the early stages of this British threat there was also obvious strategic military concerns.

Did this guy live in Kentucky, or West Virginia?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did this guy live in Kentucky, or West Virginia?

He lived on the South Fork of the Cumberland River in Kentucky near the Tennessee. I believe he was another Thomas Beale because one of them was Third Mate on the HMS Grosvenoer and I believe this one was the one. The enormous treasures of the HMS Grosvenoer has never been found or recovered even though the ship went aground in a known area of a beach. Maybe he and his mates carried it into Kentucky.

O

Old Silver

He lived on the South Fork of the Cumberland River in Kentucky near the Tennessee. I believe he was another Thomas Beale because one of them was Third Mate on the HMS Grosvenoer and I believe this one was the one. The enormous treasures of the HMS Grosvenoer has never been found or recovered even though the ship went aground in a known area of a beach. Maybe he and his mates carried it into Kentucky.

He may have been a little old for our TJB.

There is a Thomas J. Beale from Kentucky who is just the right age, born 1784.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is simply this, there is a portion of the TJB description in the pamphlet that has been derived directly from the meaning of the name, Beale.

O

Old Silver

The point is simply this, there is a portion of the TJB description in the pamphlet that has been derived directly from the meaning of the name, Beale.

You said he identified himself that way in a census? He called himself handsome?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said he identified himself that way in a census? He called himself handsome?

No. :laughing7: Only identifying himself as being directly connected to that clan, "China." The pamphlet author made the connection to the meaning of the name Beale when offering his description of TJB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread