OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories of lost mines have been around forever, most of them being just that, good stories. These stories come in all flavors and I think the Beale adventure/mine letters are just another flavor in this long running history.

O

Old Silver

Stories of lost mines have been around forever, most of them being just that, good stories. These stories come in all flavors and I think the Beale adventure/mine letters are just another flavor in this long running history.

The Beale story is not about a lost mine, It's about a buried treasure. The mines in the area where Beale supposedly obtained the treasure are well known.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
As Bigscoop has pointed out, those" mines in the area" did not exist until 50 years after the alleged Beale story expedition.

O

Old Silver

As Bigscoop has pointed out, those" mines in the area" did not exist until 50 years after the alleged Beale story expedition.

Seriously? You think the guys who discovered those mines in the 1850's-60's created them? They didn't exist until than?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What guys discovered what mines and where in the 1850-1860's of which you refer?
Let's see. whats that word you always use on others on TN, oh yes, Proof.

O

Old Silver

What guys discovered what mines and where in the 1850-1860's of which you refer?
Let's see. whats that word you always use on others on TN, oh yes, Proof.

ECS, if you don't know the mines that YOU were talking about, then I'm afraid I won't be able to help you. SHEESH!

O

Old Silver

ECS, are you asking me what mines YOU were referring to?:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1680.....that's the year of the event that gave birth to many-many unsupported "lost mine legends" in what would later become the great American West, and then from this event many others were born from those seeds. Truth be told, other then the spreading of the stories there is very-very little to support the greatest portion of it other then man's simple willingness to believe in such things, which is why many of them still flourish today. :thumbsup:

O

Old Silver

1680.....that's the year of the event that gave birth to many-many unsupported "lost mine legends" in what would later become the great American West, and then from this event many others were born from those seeds. Truth be told, other then the spreading of the stories there is very-very little to support the greatest portion of it other then man's simple willingness to believe in such things, which is why many of them still flourish today. :thumbsup:

You're right about the legends. But there really were gold and silver mines discovered 250-300 miles north of Santa Fe. At least that part of the Beale story is not legend. The question is, did Thomas Beale find them about 40 years before they were discovered by those of accepted history. I don't know the answer to that, but I know the mines do exist.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Beale story is not about a lost mine, It's about a buried treasure. The mines in the area where Beale supposedly obtained the treasure are well known.
You brought up the subject of mines on this thread and others, but as usual modus operandi , you twist a little side step.
Gold was discovered in 1849 at Sutter's Mill in California, which began that gold rush.
E F Beale brought the first gold nugget from Colorado to Washington D C in 1859, which started the Colorado gold & silver rush, and after the Civil War, the mining operations began.
You mentioned in Post#106 that guys discovered mines in the 1850-1860's;
What guys?
What mines?
Where?
...and how does this apply to the 1885 Beale expedition story which allegedly took place at least 30 years earlier than the dates you mentioned?

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

You brought up the subject of mines on this thread and others, but as usual modus operandi , you twist a little side step.
Gold was discovered in 1849 at Sutter's Mill in California, which began that gold rush.
E F Beale brought the first gold nugget from Colorado to Washington D C in 1859, which started the Colorado gold & silver rush, and after the Civil War, the mining operations began.
You mentioned in Post#106 that guys discovered mines in the 1850-1860's;
What guys?
What mines?
Where?
...and how does this apply to the 1885 Beale expedition story which allegedly took place at least 30 years earlier than the dates you mentioned?

You poor guy. Do you ever actually read any of the posts that you attempt to argue against? I think you should. If you are willing to go back and read them, you just might discover the answers to your questions.
Twist a little side step? Are you feeling okay? What are you talking about? I'm talking about the mines that were discovered in Colorado, about 250-300 miles north of Santa Fe. If you think they don't exist, go do a little research and find out. I've even posted links about them on at least one of these threads. They were real. They were discovered, I believe, in the 1850, or maybe 60s, but no matter, they were discovered. Now when I say discovered, I mean they were discovered and worked by main stream mining companies. Don't believe it? GO LOOK IT UP.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I'm talking about the mines that were discovered in Colorado, about 250-300 miles north of Santa Fe... They were real. They were discovered, I believe, in the 1850, or maybe 60s, but no matter, they were discovered. Now when I say discovered, I mean they were discovered and worked by main stream mining companies. Don't believe it? GO LOOK IT UP.
If you say so, but not during the 1817 Beale time period.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_mining_in_Colorado

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what Old Silver is saying is that "the natural mineral deposits existed" in Beale's time and not so much physically worked mines.

O

Old Silver

I think what Old Silver is saying is that "the natural mineral deposits existed" in Beale's time and not so much physically worked mines.

The mines were there, for sure. And there is at least one example of them being worked in the early 1820s. I've posted it here.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
For the sake of verification, please post who worked those mines to which you refer, and the location, and how it relates to the Beale story as written in the 1885 Beale Papers.

O

Old Silver

For the sake of verification, please post who worked those mines to which you refer, and the location, and how it relates to the Beale story as written in the 1885 Beale Papers.

All of that has been posted, so all you have to do is look. As far as it having to do with the Beale party, we simply don't know, either way.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mines were there, for sure. And there is at least one example of them being worked in the early 1820s. I've posted it here.

You mean an officially documented gold and silver mine that was being worked prior to 1821?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions