Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone can draw a circle and center it anywhere they want to? What does it mean and what and where is the reason for the circle, triangle and tangents? Don't make sense to me?

You are correct Franklin. Anyone can draw a circle and center it anywhere they want to. This particular circle is using the state boundary markers as points of reference.
This would be the reason behind it. These points of reference are survey points. They are fixed points and will "never" move.
Circles, triangles, and tangents are used in geometry. Geometry is used in the field of surveying.

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His brother, Thomas Jordan Beale , born 1826 in Botetourt county, Virginia and died 1884 in Shasta county, California, has been discussed before on these forums, and has no bearing on Ward's 1885 Beale Papers published job pamphlet.

Ok . . . ECS, I will go along with your statement that he, Thomas Jordan Beale, has been discussed before on these forums. But I would like to point out . . . so there is
no confusion . . . yes . . . Thomas Jordan Beale and Tavenor Beale are brothers. They are both nephews of Thomas Beale . . . brother of Charles Beale.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What is so interesting about the property you mention is that Newton Hazelwood bought the property and had to pay for it with gold coin according to the deed. Clayton Hart later bought this property from Newton Hazelwood's son, Frank.
... and Clayton Hart married the daughter of Issac Otey, and it was an Otey that that showed Pauline Innis an iron box containing a numbers covered torn slip of paper that she mentioned in "GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE".
Franklin, wasn't an Otey co-owner or manager of Lynchburg's Washington Hotel at one time?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok . . . ECS, I will go along with your statement that he, Thomas Jordan Beale, has been discussed before on these forums. But I would like to point out . . . so there is
no confusion . . . yes . . . Thomas Jordan Beale and Tavenor Beale are brothers. They are both nephews of Thomas Beale . . . brother of Charles Beale.
...and really what direct connection do any of these Beales have to Ward's 1885 Beale Papers job pamphlet?

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and really what direct connection do any of these Beales have to Ward's 1885 Beale Papers job pamphlet?

I'm trying to help clarify a genealogy line. I'm going to assume at this point, that Thomas Beale . . . brother of Charles Beale is "the" Thomas Beale in question.
This can be hashed out on another thread. Please feel free to use anything posted.
Gates

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue Ridge Parkway is the county line dividing Botetourt and Bedford county.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... and Clayton Hart married the daughter of Issac Otey, and it was an Otey that that showed Pauline Innis an iron box containing a numbers covered torn slip of paper that she mentioned in "GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE".
Franklin, wasn't an Otey co-owner or manager of Lynchburg's Washington Hotel at one time?

No that would have been the Norvell House or Franklin Hotel. At one time it was called the Norvell Otey House.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, the nephew, Thomas Jordan Beale, could be named for his uncle, Thomas J. Beale or Thomas Jordan Beale. That could put the letter "J" in Thomas J. Beale of New Orleans?

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The infamous 4 mile circle

This is a rough draft of the 4 mile circle from Buford's Tavern in relation to The Enigmatist Circle's center.

Attachments

• 4 mile circle radius.jpg
    4 mile circle radius.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 80

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the nephew, Thomas Jordan Beale, could be named for his uncle, Thomas J. Beale or Thomas Jordan Beale. That could put the letter "J" in Thomas J. Beale of New Orleans?
The only reason some are drawn to Thomas Beale of New Orleans as "THE BEALE" of the job pamphlet story is because of his duel with Ward's grandfather, James Beverly Risqué. Other than that, there exists no evidence of his grand adventure, meeting with Morriss, staying at Buford's, or, most important, the existence of the letters sent from St Louis to Morriss, on which the entire story is based, outside of Ward's 1885 dime novel Beale Papers job pamphlet.

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason some are drawn to Thomas Beale of New Orleans as "THE BEALE" of the job pamphlet story is because of his duel with Ward's grandfather, James Beverly Risqué. Other than that, there exists no evidence of his grand adventure, meeting with Morriss, staying at Buford's, or, most important, the existence of the letters sent from St Louis to Morriss, on which the entire story is based, outside of Ward's 1885 dime novel Beale Papers job pamphlet.

I came to the same conclusion swimming upstream in the genealogy creek.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ACTUALLY, only ONE of the letters of TJB to RM was written from St. Louis; the other two were written in Lynchburg, Va. & you can "check that out"...

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It stands to reason Thomas Beale of New Orleans traveled up the Mississippi river to St. Louis MO, then up the Missouri river to Franklin MO, and/or up the Osage river to visit brother Charles and family
in Monegaw Springs MO.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It stands to reason Thomas Beale of New Orleans traveled up the Mississippi river to St. Louis MO, then up the Missouri river to Franklin MO, and/or up the Osage river to visit brother Charles and family
in Monegaw Springs MO.

What year was Charles and family living in Monegaw Springs, MO.?

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What year was Charles and family living in Monegaw Springs, MO.?

Charles is shown to have died 1842, St. Clair county MO. I can assume he was in Monegaw Springs MO with his son Tavenor. Tavenor's eldest son Charles William Beale, named after his grandfather, was born in
Monegaw Springs MO 1842. According to little Charles' BYOGOPHY, Grandpa Charles arrived 1836 from Jamestown VA. I can also assume little Charles' siblings were also born in Monegaw Springs.

Charles William Beale (1842 - 1924) - Find A Grave Memorial

http://www.oregonpioneers.com/beale.htm

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles is shown to have died 1842, St. Clair county MO. I can assume he was in Monegaw Springs MO with his son Tavenor. Tavenor's eldest son Charles William Beale, named after his grandfather, was born in
Monegaw Springs MO 1842. According to little Charles' BYOGOPHY, Grandpa Charles arrived 1836 from Jamestown VA. I can also assume little Charles' siblings were also born in Monegaw Springs.

Charles William Beale (1842 - 1924) - Find A Grave Memorial

http://www.oregonpioneers.com/beale.htm

Then going back to your previous post #34, Thomas Beale had no reason to visit his brother, Charles and family as his brother did not live there for another 18 or 20 years?

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then going back to your previous post #34, Thomas Beale had no reason to visit his brother, Charles and family as his brother did not live there for another 18 or 20 years?

I knew that was coming next, lol . . . that stung franklin. Thanks for reminding me to think before I post. :icon_scratch:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I came to the same conclusion swimming upstream in the genealogy creek.
What one should determine is why Morriss, why the author who does not want to be known, why Ward?
Trying to find the "real Beale" who fits the story always leads to another dead end.
Look closer at the copyright holder and publisher, printer, newspaper owner who ran advertisements, and the close friend who sold copies of the Beale Papers at his store.
"knowledge of THIS AFFAIR was confined to a very limited circle-to the writer's IMMEDIATE FAMILY, and to ONE OLD AND VALUED FRIEND"

OP
OP
B

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread