PROVEN TO MYSELF THE BEALE TREASURE IS A STORY MADE UP

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long waste of time of 50 years or more, I have proven to myself that the Beale Treasure Story was made up. There may be a treasure out there for someone to find or you may luck up on another treasure while searching for the Beale Treasure. So you can keep searching if you want to but take warning of the authors words about using the time only that you can spare because I can for a fact say the Beale Treasure does not exist.

tad10

Jun 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long waste of time of 50 years or more, I have proven to myself that the Beale Treasure Story was made up. There may be a treasure out there for someone to find or you may luck up on another treasure while searching for the Beale Treasure. So you can keep searching if you want to but take warning of the authors words about using the time only that you can spare because I can for a fact say the Beale Treasure does not exist.

Yep the "Beale Story" in the Beale Pages if fake, however, the real Beale Story just gets weirder and weirder, just last night I came across a potential (emphasis on potential) link to Florence Kling Harding and her family on her father's side.

In fact, the story is getting so weird and so convoluted, I'm thinking about enlisting help from those of you on this forum who are interested in a completely different way to approach the Beale (my discussion of the proper way to approach Stewart's grid/Cipher Two was simply a small move in that direction). If I decide to do that, I'll write up a post with the crack for Cipher One and links to the main plaintext for Cipher Three.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

In looking at the outline of the Beale Papers .

1. Beale is not telling all the facts of what was going on in the two letters the he sent Morriss .
2. Beale is not telling all the facts of what was going on in the two letters in the box Morriss was to open by 1832 .
3. Mr Morriss seems to be giving the best debrief of the information as best as he can under the circumstances, this part is were I start to see truth coming out.
4. The person who took the deposition from Morriss and worked on the ciphers for and gave it to Ward with one cipher done did there part .
5. Ward or the editor who put the Papers into there final draft as a pamphlet may have left out some of the original text of the deposition from Morriss .

The original notes taken by the person that debriefed Morriss would be a great help at this time and prove the whole to be true !

We may call this text, ( Textus Morriss )

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In looking at the outline of the Beale Papers .

1. Beale is not telling all the facts of what was going on in the two letters the he sent Morriss .
2. Beale is not telling all the facts of what was going on in the two letters in the box Morriss was to open by 1832 .
3. Mr Morriss seems to be giving the best debrief of the information as best as he can under the circumstances, this part is were I start to see truth coming out.
4. The person who took the deposition from Morriss and worked on the ciphers for and gave it to Ward with one cipher done did there part .
5. Ward or the editor who put the Papers into there final draft as a pamphlet may have left out some of the original text of the deposition from Morriss .

The original notes taken by the person that debriefed Morriss would be a great help at this time and prove the whole to be true !...
...or all of the "authentic statements" by the unnamed author are just a work of fiction, to sell copies of the Beale Papers for 50cents a copy ($13.00 in 1885 money).
It is highly suspicious that after 20 years from receiving the tale from Morriss during the "2nd year of the Confederate War", that this unnamed author could only solved the longest cipher which provided an inventory of the treasure in Beale's vault.
Sure seems like a lure to hook those that codebreaker Friedman termed the "unwary reader" into purchasing a copy in hopes of solving the ciphers and becoming rich overnight.
One needs to question why the supplied DOI key does NOT work for C1 & C3, and if these ciphers were ever conceived to have an actual solution, or are they just random numbers that lure the unwary reader?
Another question that needs to be addressed are why the solutions of C1 & C3 claimed by others over the years lack the fluidity of the provided DOI solved C2?
...and then the big question:
After 130 years since the publication of the Beale Papers, no conclusive proof has been produced that can collaborate any of the events depicted in the 1885 job pamphlet or if Thomas J Beale ever existed.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
...or all of the "authentic statements" by the unnamed author are just a work of fiction, to sell copies of the Beale Papers for 50cents a copy ($13.00 in 1885 money).
It is highly suspicious that after 20 years from receiving the tale from Morriss during the "2nd year of the Confederate War", that this unnamed author could only solved the longest cipher which provided an inventory of the treasure in Beale's vault.
Sure seems like a lure to hook those that codebreaker Friedman termed the "unwary reader" into purchasing a copy in hopes of solving the ciphers and becoming rich overnight.
One needs to question why the supplied DOI key does NOT work for C1 & C3, and if these ciphers were ever conceived to have an actual solution, or are they just random numbers that lure the unwary reader?
Another question that needs to be addressed are why the solutions of C1 & C3 claimed by others over the years lack the fluidity of the provided DOI solved C2?
...and then the big question:
After 130 years since the publication of the Beale Papers, no conclusive proof has been produced that can collaborate any of the events depicted in the 1885 job pamphlet or if Thomas J Beale ever existed.

Truly you have an interesting way of looking at this, but just seems to be what every other Hoaxster is saying . Seems after years of failed attempts most people enter the Hoaxster faze and begin to bash the thing they worked for years to figure out . I think it make people feel good to believe that it must be a hoax after working 50 + years on something they have no clue about . But there is hope for you guys yet, there are plenty of other mysteries out there that are more your speed .

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Laf, I have never claimed that the 1885 Beale Papers were written as a hoax, but rather as a adventure/treasure dime novel with parlor entertainment play along ciphers for the buying public of Lynchburg. Nothing less, nothing more, and not a hoax, just a dime novel treasure story that has evolved into this neverending treasure quest due to various writers and claims of solved ciphers, but no proof of any of the job pamphlet events has ever been produced.
Just a story Laf, that continues to lure the unwary reader.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Laf, I have never claimed that the 1885 Beale Papers were written as a hoax, but rather as a adventure/treasure dime novel with parlor entertainment play along ciphers for the buying public of Lynchburg. Nothing less, nothing more, and not a hoax, just a dime novel treasure story that has evolved into this neverending treasure quest due to various writers and claims of solved ciphers, but no proof of any of the job pamphlet events has ever been produced.
Just a story Laf, that continues to lure the unwary reader.

Do you have an historical example of this type of writing for that time line a dime novel treasure story ?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I have presented that on another thread.
A good start, would be "THE GOLD BUG" by Edgar Allen Poe which influenced the 1885 Beale Papers, but you already know that.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A good start, would be "THE GOLD BUG" by Edgar Allen Poe which influenced the 1885 Beale Papers, but you already know that.

I have seen this and read this and can not fathom how you can say someone was influenced by such . After looking at this I would take Poe off your list of possible influences . People sending cryptograms at the time of 1810 -1830 was very common . There is a distinct difference with fiction and historic documents of the 1863-1885 time line . One interesting thing that is common to this area of Louisiana is the stories of Jean/John Lafitte having his gold put into iron pots and placed at locations from Texas to Mississippi . But that would be quite a stretch to say that the Beale Papers was influenced by these stories of the New Orleans area .

At this time pirate's stories were very common John Lafitte seemed to show up in news papers that I have seen and research all the time . If in 1885 someone was going to put up a fictional book about gold it would have been more about pirates then Captain Beale of a militia .

Do you know of this code ? it is very popular at one time .
53‡‡†305))6*;4826)4‡.)4‡);806*;48†8
¶60))85;;]8*;:‡*8†83(88)5*†;46(;88*96
*?;8)*‡(;485);5*†2:*‡(;4956*2(5*—4)8
¶8*;4069285);)6†8)4‡‡;1(‡9;48081;8:8‡
1;48†85;4)485†528806*81(‡9;48;(88;4
(‡?34;48)4‡;161;:188;‡?;

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Poe was born in Boston 1809, the second child of two actors. His father abandoned the family in 1810, and his mother died the following year. Thus orphaned, the child was taken in by John and Frances Allan of Richmond, Virginia. It is very possible he may have been influenced by the the family stories of the two men of the Beale party that were from Richmond at the time of 1819-1822 . Seems more that likely that Poe had contact with some of the children of these families . Like you guys say someone must have known of the adventure these people were on . Most likely the children of these two men were told of the Beale adventure after the men of the Beale party were presumed dead by the families .

Poe attended the University of Virginia for one semester but left due to lack of money in about 1827 or so . Thomas Jefferson was the person established the UVA in 1819, and its original governing Board of Visitors included Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe. Monroe was the sitting President of the United States at the time of its foundation. Former Presidents Jefferson and Madison were UVA's first two rectors and the Academical Village and original courses of study were conceived and designed by Jefferson. Is it possible that the Ciphers Beale left behind were given to Madison and Jefferson also at this UVA ?

The school laid its first building's cornerstone late in that same year 1817, did Captain Thomas Beale know of this event and the Commonwealth of Virginia chartered the new university on January 25, 1819. !

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen this and read this and can not fathom how you can say someone was influenced by such . After looking at this I would take Poe off your list of possible influences . People sending cryptograms at the time of 1810 -1830 was very common . There is a distinct difference with fiction and historic documents of the 1863-1885 time line . One interesting thing that is common to this area of Louisiana is the stories of Jean/John Lafitte having his gold put into iron pots and placed at locations from Texas to Mississippi . But that would be quite a stretch to say that the Beale Papers was influenced by these stories of the New Orleans area .

At this time pirate's stories were very common John Lafitte seemed to show up in news papers that I have seen and research all the time . If in 1885 someone was going to put up a fictional book about gold it would have been more about pirates then Captain Beale of a militia ...
In 1841, Poe published "A Few Words On Secret Writing" which influenced the military cryptographers of that time period, and , those of the Confederacy, including CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin.
During the War of Northern Aggression, many Southerners buried their valuable possessions in iron cooking pots to keep them from Yankee looters- there are many legends concerning lost Confederate gold buried in iron pots.
Then there was the story about the hidden treasure of Robert O Willis that appeared in the April 16,1879 Lynchburg Virginian, the newspaper where Beale pamphlet printer, John William Sherman, was sub-editor.
Willis placed $65,000 of gold, silver, and jewelry in iron pots and hid them in a Kentucky cave.
The description of Willis's discovered treasure does have a very familiar ring to it.
There was no reason to publish a pirate treasure story in 1885 Virginia with all the tales of the lost Confederate treasury, which was composed of gold and silver bullion and specie and jewelry donated by Southern ladies for the cause.
That gave rise to the theory that the Beale Papers was a cover story for the lost Confederate gold that disappeared in May 1865 from Danville, Virginia.
James Beverly Ward's, copyright holder and publisher of the Beale Papers, first cousin, CSA Major Edward S Hutter received a Confederate code book from Benjamin in Danville during that month of May.
Now there in NO mention of New Orleans or Louisiana in the Beale Papers, that connection is pure speculation based on the Thomas Beale who fled there from Virginia after a duel with James Beverly Risqué, Ward's grandfather.
No one has ever established if this Beale or any Beale is the Beale character of that dime novel pamphlet...
...and there is a major difference between a historical document and an ephemeral dime novel job pamphlet that sold for 50 cents.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At this time pirate's stories were very common John Lafitte seemed to show up in news papers that I have seen and research all the time . If in 1885 someone was going to put up a fictional book about gold it would have been more about pirates then Captain Beale of a militia .

Do you know of this code ? it is very popular at one time .
53‡‡†305))6*;4826)4‡.)4‡);806*;48†8
¶60))85;;]8*;:‡*8†83(88)5*†;46(;88*96
*?;8)*‡(;485);5*†2:*‡(;4956*2(5*—4)8
¶8*;4069285);)6†8)4‡‡;1(‡9;48081;8:8‡
1;48†85;4)485†528806*81(‡9;48;(88;4
(‡?34;48)4‡;161;:188;‡?;

By the same token, there's no such connecting evidence that the pamphlet story was about a "Captain Beale of a militia." Thus more "it can be anything anyone desires it to be." A lot of theories out there, yet still nothing to directly connect any of them to the details offered in the narration. It's this absence that makes all of these various theories possible.

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the same token, there's no such connecting evidence that the pamphlet story was about a "Captain Beale of a militia." Thus more "it can be anything anyone desires it to be." A lot of theories out there, yet still nothing to directly connect any of them to the details offered in the narration. It's this absence that makes all of these various theories possible.

I have seen Jean's decoding and I can tell you just as he did, it has a Captain Thomas Beale in it. You will not see it I'm sure for some time to come.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen Jean's decoding and I can tell you just as he did, it has a Captain Thomas Beale in it. You will not see it I'm sure for some time to come.
As has been mentioned time and again by Bigscoop on these threads, solutions can be manipulated to achieve whatever the "decoder" expects is written in C1 &C3.

Beale researcher, Brad Andrews, put it this way:
"reason for doubting these other theories is simply because of the way the supporting information has been compiled...first a pet theory is formed, then the evidence will be arranged and likewise presented so that it supports the pet theory".

If one has convinced himself that a Captain Thomas Beale is the Thomas J Beale of the job pamphlet, he will find a Captain Thomas Beale in his decoded cipher.

...and yes, Crypto, I agree that we will not see Laf's decoding for some time to come, if ever.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting...

And to think... I am on the verge of solving it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread